-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Agreed! But I've got to admit, the amount of space in the engine bay of a 2000s silverado versus the 2000s f150, ain't even worth comparing, chevy left so much room, why can't we have that? 😂

Make things like that dang thermostat housing so much nicer, rather than taking the top of the engine apart! 😂
gotta look good in that brochure, its about saving weight... 🤣 and saving soome gas... wait... explorers arent about saving gas... back to the drawing board🤣🤣🤣
Glad for you young folks schooling this boomer! No, it's not even like the 5.0 in the 82 Crown Vic I enjoyed being able to get at everything under the hood from the top! But engines since the 70s have better tolerances and metallurgy, and supposedly last longer!
even as a genz, still cant understand some new tech :banghead:may as well be a genx sometimes🤣 wish we still had the room!!! them 2nd gen celicas with the 22r... the space was appreciated!! and idk to me i think 90/2000 is the most reliable decade, as we had better tech to make better parts, but everythign wasnt all computerized like today... 100-150k used to be celebrated, but now we see 200k on a semi normal-ish basis for decently maintained vehicles.... best of both worlds is getting an engine designed in the 60s 70s and was improved over the years, such as the 5.0!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gotta look good in that brochure, its about saving weight... 🤣 and saving soome gas... wait... explorers arent about saving gas... back to the drawing board🤣🤣🤣

even as a genz, still cant understand some new tech :banghead:may as well be a genx sometimes🤣 wish we still had the room!!! them 2nd gen celicas with the 22r... the space was appreciated!! and idk to me i think 90/2000 is the most reliable decade, as we had better tech to make better parts, but everythign wasnt all computerized like today...
Pretty much all of that was some of the most accurate stuff I've read in a while! I do agree the '90-2000 probably were the best for both performance and looks, everything's too round these days for me. I'm sorry, I want to save gas but ya ain't going to see me driving a freaking prius or anything! 😂

Pretty much all of that was some of the most accurate stuff I've read in a while! I do agree the '90-2000 probably were the best for both performance and looks, everything's too round these days for me. I'm sorry, I want to save gas but ya ain't going to see me driving a freaking prius or anything! 😂
don't become a prius person ;) youre too valuable to lose!!! were the next generation of X owners;) imo, everythign new looks the same, and they all look angry for some reason...ive heard mine looks like a breadbox on wheels... and the grille of a whale:D:D:Dand i dont mind it at all;) i too want to save gas,and especially w/ LA gas price/traffic, i dont DD the X... hence why i can do so much to it! i wouldve been long broke DDing it :D unless gas herecomes to $2... then well reconsider

don't become a prius person ;) youre too valuable to lose!!! were the next generation of X owners;) imo, everythign new looks the same, and they all look angry for some reason...ive heard mine looks like a breadbox on wheels... and the grille of a whale:D:D:Dand i dont mind it at all;) i too want to save gas,and especially w/ LA gas price/traffic, i dont DD the X... hence why i can do so much to it! i wouldve been long broke DDing it :D
I will never own a prius, the only "car" I would own, would be older than the '90s, if I could find a good deal on something like an early '80s trans am and recreate KITT....MAN...that would be so nice!!:bounce:

Also, new f150s, with those electronic fold in mirrors, I'm sorry, every time I pass one with those, I can't help feeling like it looks like a sad and hurt puppy with its ears back! Get a nice laugh every day I drive by one in the neighborhood on the way to work! 😂

Yeah, I want to save gas since I daily drive her, but I don't have the place to store another vehicle, so she'll have to be modified for that! Not that I want another vehicle right now anyway 😂

KITT.MAN...that would be so nice!!:bounce:
oh man!!!! if you ever do, i wanna see pics of demonmudder as the hoff!!!

half the new tech does us no good... its just for comfort... but i dont need none of that comfort!!! people always tell me how nice their heated seats are, but do they know how nice no payment is?

this is pretty accurate as to some discissuins ive had

I will never own a prius, the only "car" I would own, would be older than the '90s, if I could find a good deal on something like an early '80s trans am and recreate KITT....MAN...that would be so nice!!:bounce:

Also, new f150s, with those electronic fold in mirrors, I'm sorry, every time I pass one with those, I can't help feeling like it looks like a sad and hurt puppy with its ears back! Get a nice laugh every day I drive by one in the neighborhood on the way to work! 😂

Yeah, I want to save gas since I daily drive her, but I don't have the place to store another vehicle, so she'll have to be modified for that! Not that I want another vehicle right now anyway 😂
Speaking of old, I'm keeping an eye on an original Bronco that a relative is working on making a DD...who knows down the road they might want to sell it and get something newer, never know. Just thinking a really old but working 4x4 might have its advantages.

Speaking of old, I'm keeping an eye on an original Bronco that a relative is working on making a DD...who knows down the road they might want to sell it and get something newer, never know. Just thinking a really old but working 4x4 might have its advantages.
mechanical fuel injection, carb, that thing would outlast me probably!!! and in case of world fallout... know who to go to ;) :D

Man, an old bronco would be nice too!! Although, I'm not a huge fan of the looks before the 90s gen, but honestly I'd still take one older if it was a decent price and in good shape!

Man, an old bronco would be nice too!! Although, I'm not a huge fan of the looks before the 90s gen, but honestly I'd still take one older if it was a decent price and in good shape!
i;d take pretty much any bronc! after all, the X is a long lost relative of the bronc... via the bii, then the X :D

i'm a pickup man myself... but these explorers are close enough... and plus, i can say the X is related to the bronc! dream is the f250 highboy w/the 360 and 3MT top loader!!!

anyways, even htough i love pickups, wouldnt trade the X for anything, too sentimental 🤣 🤣 🤣 but wouldnt complain about aqquiring a highboy (and i still wouldnt trade it for a coupe de ville, ive got 'n 8 ft bed that never has to be made) ah good ole joe diffie

i;d take pretty much any bronc! after all, the X is a long lost relative of the bronc... via the bii, then the X :D
We were the kind of the bronco IIs successor and the expedition was kind of the Broncos successor? We're pretty much the same size as both the old and these new Broncos though, so I guess we were supposed to be the best of both. First gen definitely had the bronco IIs rollover issue though!

We were the kind of the bronco IIs successor and the expedition was kind of the Broncos successor? We're pretty much the same size as both the old and these new Broncos though, so I guess we were supposed to be the best of both. First gen definitely had the bronco IIs rollover issue though!
i thought the bii was a spinoff of the fullsize bronc, and we were the successors to the bii... so i see us as a relative to the bronc!

Make sure it’s not a split o ring that actually goes on the rib of the thermostat like a traditional thermo gasket

It seems to me you either have an exhaust tick/leak or a rattling heat shield

The brake booster check valve o ring sounds like it’s leaking too definitely want to get that fixed as that would be a large intake vacuum leak

The bronco ii was a marketing gimmick just like the new bronco “sport”
If the top doesn’t come off it’s not a real bronco! But that does not stop me from calling mine a bronco or wearing the hat and sweatshirt lol

It’s because of the rollover issues the name was changed to explorer
The bronco ii is the explorer daddy
However these are all ranger based vehicles so basically the ranger is king of our family.

per the BWM thread "The '97-'01 model years lack a true 2 wheel drive option. With a live front axle, there are no significant mileage gains to be had by driving the rear wheels alone. That being said, some of us simply prefer to determine when the front wheels should drive and when they shouldn't, instead of relying on a computer to make that decision for us."

the reason why 4406 v8s get better mileage is because the AWD 4404 tcases take alot of energy and lsoe lots of power to always run. as such, 4406 v8s get no better mileage than out 4405 v6s, just better than with the awd. as such, if you compare a 4406 to a 4405 v6, it shall be no different (well mayeb 1 mpg difference due to the v8 having 2 extra cylinders, but no more or less mileage loss due to treansfer case)

now the CAD can get you more mileage, as there is no more power/mileage lost in the front axle, as it is fully disconnected. you will, however, lose some reliability, as you are relying ont he vacuum globe thing to work all the tome.

and the 4A always running is a misconception imo, as all 4a does is keep it in 2wd, and when wheel slippage is detected, it puts it into 4H until the slip is gone. so what 4a always does it monitor for slippage, but until there is slip it is always in 2wd. no power split like the v8 4404 tcase.

all the 1354 will do is get rid of the paper based (according to wikipedia) transfer case clutch (iirc) in favor for the more robust chain drive system. there are no mileage gains to be had with the 1354 swap, only simplicity and relibility

someone correct me if something is wrong ;)

TLDR: why v8s get better mileage due to 4406 is due to the AWD being inefficient, not the same situation with our 4A, which is in 2wd 99% of the time.

edit: quote from another thread "4WD Auto/Control-Trac = 2WD unless truck detects slippage between front and rear wheels. When slippage is detected, truck starts engaging 4WD clutch in transfer case on and off quickly to send power to the front wheels as well. Clutch is cycled instead of just engaged continuously to allow for front wheels to travel further in turns on dry pavement without binding up the driveline, due to a lack of center differential. Duty cycle (time clutch engaged vs time clutch disengaged) varies - with lots of slippage between front/rear wheels, clutch spends more time engaged. As traction improves, clutch spends more time disengaged."

all it does is throw it in 4h when there is loss of traction, then take it out of 4wd when traction is regained. afaik (and i might be wrong) the clutch does not have partial engagement, like a manual tranny, its either in 4h or 2h or 4lo... perhaps someone can confirm or refute this!

Make sure it’s not a split o ring that actually goes on the rib of the thermostat like a traditional thermo gasket

It seems to me you either have an exhaust tick/leak or a rattling heat shield

The brake booster check valve o ring sounds like it’s leaking too definitely want to get that fixed as that would be a large intake vacuum leak

The bronco ii was a marketing gimmick just like the new bronco “sport”
If the top doesn’t come off it’s not a real bronco! But that does not stop me from calling mine a bronco or wearing the hat and sweatshirt lol

It’s because of the rollover issues the name was changed to explorer
The bronco ii is the explorer daddy
However these are all ranger based vehicles so basically the ranger is king of our family.
hey 410 can you confirm yesterdays discussion about the control trac 4a discussiion yesterday? thanks!

@410Fortune, Well the thermostat seems to be running just fine, no leaks or anything. So that is all put together right that I can find, from others and from youtube.

Kind of figured it's a heat shield, problem is finding where, unless I full on rev her while in park, you don't hear it most of the time. Unless I'm actually driving, then its most of the time I'm on the gas.

Got part numbers for that brake booster check valve o ring? See about doing that as soon as I can then. Thanks!

Can definitely agree with all that vehicle history, ranger is above us all and the bronco II was the father of the explorer!

Get under truck with screwdriver,
Flashlight, and pry bar, grab the exhaust and shake, use the pry bar and screwdriver to check cat shields, exhaust hangers and mounts. After that it’s a visual inspection looking for exhaust leaks you will spot black soot coming from the leak area
Check alignment of y pipe to header connection if the 4 bolts are not tightened evenly it’s very common for the ball valves to leak.
Exhaust
Leaks make a distinctive ticking noise, much like you describe

I have never had to replace the brake booster seal when I do I grab from another truck
Yours looks like it just dried up

Get under truck with screwdriver,
Flashlight, and pry bar, grab the exhaust and shake, use the pry bar and screwdriver to check cat shields, exhaust hangers and mounts. After that it’s a visual inspection looking for exhaust leaks you will spot black soot coming from the leak area
Check alignment of y pipe to header connection if the 4 bolts are not tightened evenly it’s very common for the ball valves to leak.
Exhaust
Leaks make a distinctive ticking noise, much like you describe

I have never had to replace the brake booster seal when I do I grab from another truck
Yours looks like it just dried up

I'll be going to the junkyard soon, so I'll see if I can just nab a seal for that. If one is in good shape at least. I'll see if I can take a look tonight after work for that shield and black soot.

Well it seems to be official. Metallic ticking sounds more and more like the chains each day. Tensioners don't seem to have helped. It still ticks, louder now, continuous with the rpms. So I'm officially back to square one, hoping she'll last till I can get this done. I swear, nothing can ever be easy... 😅

I'll take my actual camera to it tomorrow rather than the phones crappy quality and give y'all a listen; but I'm pretty sure that's not how the tensioners being worn in sounds

Well it seems to be official. Metallic ticking sounds more and more like the chains each day. Tensioners don't seem to have helped. It still ticks, louder now, continuous with the rpms. So I'm officially back to square one, hoping she'll last till I can get this done. I swear, nothing can ever be easy... 😅

I'll take my actual camera to it tomorrow rather than the phones crappy quality and give y'all a listen; but I'm pretty sure that's not how the tensioners being worn in sounds
this sounds like a great excuse for a v8 ;) ;) ;) hoping it aint the chains though

this sounds like a great excuse for a v8 ;) ;) ;) hoping it aint the chains though
Yeaaaah... I ain't doing a V8 swap unless i have a donor use and a shop is willing to handle it. I ain't got the time or place to do something like that; besides, if it is the chains, not like I've got all the time in the world to read up V8 swaps and find a donor. That and the last shop I talked to a while back about doing the chains quoted $1k, with their parts with a warranty. I'd rather use cloyes, but having a warranty in case something happens would be nicer than having to rebuy everything again. So that'll be cheaper than going for a V8 swap right now anyway.

I do agree though, would be nice to V8 swap it though. Hoping it's not the chains, something else similar causing the sounds, but even when I talked to 410, hes not 100% based on the video versus in person, but he agrees it's probably about chain time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, complete side note but I needed to share this! This is a '96 Explorer for sale near me, just LOOK at this sucker!! Freaking huge!! With a 5.0, has its issues but dang does that look nice! Could look nicer, like a full front end and fender swap for nicer parts. Imagine if I could afford this beast!! Does need larger, wider tires though... I do apologize for this being a complete side note, just happened to be on Facebook Marketplace looking at other explorers around, found a V8 for $1k that knocks. As said though, probably just redo my chains to make things easy and quick.

277107164_164661975909066_1642444378383096372_n.jpg 277108496_164661932575737_7034700282049914467_n.jpg 277167292_164661905909073_3903227250256726363_n.jpg 277229063_164661942575736_3009243818559265534_n.jpg

Back