-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

I could use that mud truck sometimes lol the front strut mounts look a little sketchy, just a little. 36” lift blocks never a good idea
I can only imagine what the rest is like!!
It better not be awd

Get the updated video w sound for these dudes. The sohc is not my specialty!
However you can use some simple tricks like a rubber hose to your ear or a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the noise… once you do that then you can plan the repair.

If the noise is under the timing cover well then it can be fixed in the truck (main tensioner and guide or balance chain)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could use that mud truck sometimes lol the front strut mounts look a little sketchy, just a little. 36” lift blocks never a good idea
I can only imagine what the rest is like!!
It better not be awd

Get the updated video w sound for these dudes. The sohc is not my specialty!
However you can use some simple tricks like a rubber hose to your ear or a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the noise… once you do that then you can plan the repair.

If the noise is under the timing cover well then it can be fixed in the truck (main tensioner and guide or balance chain)
Yeah, that one is a 4wd, has issues with it, but it is. Won't deny some sketchy parts! lol

Yeah, I've got some other stuff to deal with first, but I'll nab another video sometime around noon. I'll have to try one of those tricks, though I'm not sure of what I've got on hand that'll do the trick, don't just keep tubing lying around, should keep some spare tubing though

Damn, complete side note but I needed to share this! This is a '96 Explorer for sale near me, just LOOK at this sucker!! Freaking huge!! With a 5.0, has its issues but dang does that look nice! Could look nicer, like a full front end and fender swap for nicer parts. Imagine if I could afford this beast!! Does need larger, wider tires though... I do apologize for this being a complete side note, just happened to be on Facebook Marketplace looking at other explorers around, found a V8 for $1k that knocks. As said though, probably just redo my chains to make things easy and quick.

View attachment 429003 View attachment 429004 View attachment 429005 View attachment 429006
wicked!!!!! havent seen something that lifted in a while! florida i tell ya, wr dont get that in CA!

wicked!!!!! havent seen something that lifted in a while! florida i tell ya, wr dont get that in CA!
CA has all those laws to limit EVERYTHING...no offense. Florida just doesn't give a crap, could probably drive around with gators hanging out every window and on the roof and nobody would blink an eye!! lol

I mean, seriously, for example the green lights I use, technically ain't legal, somewhere like CA or GA would probably nab me for that GA is a little more iffy on that one

CA has all those laws to limit EVERYTHING...no offense. Florida just doesn't give a crap, could probably drive around with gators hanging out every window and on the roof and nobody would blink an eye!! lol

I mean, seriously, for example the green lights I use, technically ain't legal, somewhere like CA or GA would probably nab me for that GA is a little more iffy on that one
gators hanging out the window 🤣 🤣 floridaman.com

just messin with ya!!!! love florida, its sort of like CAs other have, jekyll and hyde of sorta... both the sunshine states, but... ya know! :D

gators hanging out the window 🤣 🤣 floridaman.com

just messin with ya!!!! love florida, its sort of like CAs other have, jekyll and hyde of sorta... both the sunshine states, but... ya know! :D
Yeah, honestly, both crazy states! 😂
Way too sunny too!

Yeah, honestly, both crazy states! 😂
Way too sunny too!
haha!!! ca has crazy drivers, florida has... well... ya know!!!! wayyy too sunny and hot here... cant deak with the 110 sometimes! i like my snow and low 50s

haha!!! ca has crazy drivers, florida has... well... ya know!!!! wayyy too sunny and hot here... cant deak with the 110 sometimes! i like my snow and low 50s
Snow would be a pain sometimes, but the cooler weather would definitely be nice! Crazy drivers here too lol

Snow would be a pain sometimes, but the cooler weather would definitely be nice! Crazy drivers here too lol
lol, these people are everywhere 🤣

Alright, try this on, everything does sound a little more high pitched than it actually does, but not by a whole lot. Again, pretty sure I'm boned, but this is it of the start (after I pumped the gas pedal a few times, so it was much nicer than it could've been; not the first start of the day, but its also had over 5 hours to cool off). Displayed the sound from the outer edge of the engine bay, inside right by everything, and with/without the oil cap. Done with a real camera rather my almost 6 year old phone thats slowly getting worse daily 😂

I should've gotten video of the smoking oil on the exhaust pipe for the fun of, getting real tired of all the smoke and burning oil smell! 😂

sort of sounds like timing rattle, cant tell if its frontor back, is there a range where its loudest?

sort of sounds like timing rattle, cant tell if its frontor back, is there a range where its loudest?
As said, and as you can sort of hear, with the oil cap on it sounds more from the mid passenger side. But with the cap off, it sounds right there at the cap, but that could be the sound getting directed to an easy outlet.

I'll take it a shop whenever the seal comes in, see about them checking it out and throw the seal on while they're at it. Just another opinion on whats going on, especially since they confirmed the last thing i had wasn't the chains. This is also the same shop that told me these tires won't fit lol

Could it possibly be that the passenger tensioner isn't in tight enough? It seems in, looks it at least, hard to get to but it felt nice and tight on there. But if it ain't, maybe that would explain the slight leak and maybe the chain rattle?

As said, and as you can sort of hear, with the oil cap on it sounds more from the mid passenger side. But with the cap off, it sounds right there at the cap, but that could be the sound getting directed to an easy outlet.

I'll take it a shop whenever the seal comes in, see about them checking it out and throw the seal on while they're at it. Just another opinion on whats going on, especially since they confirmed the last thing i had wasn't the chains. This is also the same shop that told me these tires won't fit lol

Could it possibly be that the passenger tensioner isn't in tight enough? It seems in, looks it at least, hard to get to but it felt nice and tight on there. But if it ain't, maybe that would explain the slight leak and maybe the chain rattle?
possibly, but usually it wouldnt make a consistent rattle... speaking of rattling i think my OE rear tensioner is on its way out now... ARGH!!!! more $$ spent at this point its getting a new engine its for 350k so maybe new sohc, or v8 time? well see... or ill drive it till it explodes, then fix it

possibly, but usually it wouldnt make a consistent rattle... speaking of rattling i think my OE rear tensioner is on its way out now... ARGH!!!! more $$ spent at this point its getting a new engine its for 350k so maybe new sohc, or v8 time? well see... or ill drive it till it explodes, then fix it
Dang, not you too, infecting us all

Kind of what im working towards, drive it while i can. Local junkyard is 50% off this weekend, V8 is tempting....lol

Dang, not you too, infecting us all

Kind of what im working towards, drive it while i can. Local junkyard is 50% off this weekend, V8 is tempting....lol
50% off? i would be down there pulling stuff in a minute ;) i justdid the primary chain 2 years back, but oh well... alas, ill do some more diagnostic on it (mine is harder to trace than yours, only shows up audibly from 2500-3k) im hoping it ain the rear chain, but i dont hear it outside, and in the cabin its a muffled ticking that seems to come from the firewall...

my only fear: wheeling out of cell service alone (usually i wheel in cell, but once in a while i hit an offshoot in a cyn then i realize no service) and the sohc giving up the ghost

50% off? i would be down there pulling stuff in a minute ;) i justdid the primary chain 2 years back, but oh well... alas, ill do some more diagnostic on it (mine is harder to trace than yours, only shows up audibly from 2500-3k) im hoping it ain the rear chain, but i dont hear it outside, and in the cabin its a muffled ticking that seems to come from the firewall...

my only fear: wheeling out of cell service alone (usually i wheel in cell, but once in a while i hit an offshoot in a cyn then i realize no service) and the sohc giving up the ghost
Could nab a cheap v8.....tempting..

Hope it ain't that for ya, hopefully its something else

Could nab a cheap v8.....tempting..

Hope it ain't that for ya, hopefully its something else
at this point though, im not too upset if its somethin like that, i mean ive wheeled this thing, towed with it, its taken me everywhere for 350k on the OE sohc, 5r55e, and 4405!!!! i mean thats a great run imo, so cant expect too much outta it... im tempted to wait a while and buuy this 71 f250 i see on CL, but guess i need to get the wheeler reliable again.. hoping its an easy fix so i can nab this f series... love those things w the 360

doews your JY sell whole trucks? id get a whole one as a donor, plus extra parts after!

at this point though, im not too upset if its somethin like that, i mean ive wheeled this thing, towed with it, its taken me everywhere for 350k on the OE sohc, 5r55e, and 4405!!!! i mean thats a great run imo, so cant expect too much outta it... im tempted to wait a while and buuy this 71 f250 i see on CL, but guess i need to get the wheeler reliable again.. hoping its an easy fix so i can nab this f series... love those things w the 360

doews your JY sell whole trucks? id get a whole one as a donor, plus extra parts after!
They sell the nicer, working vehicles as a whole, seen a single ranger and a jacked up excursion, no explorers though.

Wouldn't be a bad truck to nab!! Still can hope it ain't the chains though, save some cash that way

They sell the nicer, working vehicles as a whole, seen a single ranger and a jacked up excursion, no explorers though.

Wouldn't be a bad truck to nab!! Still can hope it ain't the chains though, save some cash that way
if its on sale.... ;) ;) ;) you can keep it around... and nab a 4406 while yourethere!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its on sale.... ;) ;) ;) you can keep it around... and nab a 4406 while yourethere!
The rangers gone, they wanted $4k for the I'm not kidding over 6" lifted excursion that was coated in bed liner, that needed an engine rebuild, otherwise ran fine according to them

20220121_083311.jpg

Back