Demo1986 first build: Project AT-AT | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Demo1986 first build: Project AT-AT

hello everyone i've been on this site for awhile and slowly have been saving money and building my project. i had an 01 ford ranger 2wd that i started to build with the little knowledge that i had. the ranger wasnt much in performance but looked kool. the more i hung out in forums and went to meets in the desert i started to learn more and i figured out what i wanted.

i wanted a truck i can hit over 45 in the desert and when ever i went to trails i would switch to 4wd and have fun there too. so i sold my ranger and bought me a 4wd ranger so i can start the build. BUT i hated the fact i would only fit 2 ppl in it and i also didnt want to be another desert ranger so i sold that ranger (and made a profit) and i bought myself a 2002 sport trac 4wd with all the goodies and with 43,000 miles on it. for a steal!!

after 2 years of saving and playing musical trucks i finally bought this:
-Dixon 4x4 LT Kit
-Tubular upper control arms, with bushings and balljoints installed
-Boxed plate lower control arms with bushings and balljoints installed
-Shock hoop with crossbar
-Complete front axles with custom length heat treated shafts and high angle 930
CVs
-Steering Tie-rod Extension
-Brake lines, Limit straps, bolt kit
-Dixon cross member(aaron threw that in for free)
-Fox 2.5x8 coil overs
-Deavers G50E
-Mcneil 6" fenders for the front and 3" for rear

what i need to get:
-Fox 2.0x10 bypasses for the rear(in stock location for now)
-15" pro comp 1079
-33's or 35's good year mtr's

all the ordered parts should be in my hands early next week. aaron doesnt have the axles for the front so ill be 2wd till he gets the axles. i am also saving for the Dixon cantilever for the future.
46784a87.jpg
07b64cb0.jpg

i really want to run 35's but they might rub on the inner fender and i should probably run 33's does anyone have issues like this?

also i want to know if anyone have used the camburg upper arm heavy duty brakets and if i should install them while i have it apart.

i will post picks as soon as i have my parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks it's the tent cot brand. No I won't be doing that anymore since its already off the ground. Ill be using it as is and just save for a roof top tent.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

DSC_0131-2.jpg
DSC_0022-2.jpg
DSC_0162-1.jpg
DSC_0132-1.jpg

picked up some new shoes, 33x12.5x15 DuraTracs

i also picked up a set of matching wheel and tires from another member in another forum for free
e5yra6ep.jpg
duzu9e7a.jpg
ajuvysug.jpg
evypu5ad.jpg

picked up some new shoes, 33x12.5x15 DuraTracs

i also picked up a set of matching wheel and tires from another member in another forum for free

Nice deal.

I always get jealous when I see a ST bed trailer. I've got a trailer to put one on but every bed that comes up for sale around me is way too high.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Nice, I trhink you'll like the Duratrac's, they have a soft sidewall so you don't need to air down as much like with BFG's.

Hugh, I'll eventually be selling my bed, you can get it when you visit family.

Offtrac: I know a guy that's 4 hours from me that's selling the bed for $100. He's from another forum and it's been a years since I last spoke to him so idk if he still has it. It's tough to build an ST trailer because the balance is all out of whack. The wheels are on the front half of the trailer so I need to compensate by making a longer tongue and adding a lot of tongue weight. Matching trailers are badass!

Rebel: they are very soft. When I got them I was able to crush them easily and if I tried hard enough I could have turned it inside out. But the ride is So much BETTER on the street! My Mickey Thomsons had to be aired down to 8psi when I went to the dunes, I'm sure this will be fine around 15psi.

When I go trailin', rock crawling with mine I don't need to air down any lower then 30psi. and they conform to the rocks and terrain perfect. Most times I leave them at 35psi.

That's good to hear. The advantage of My MT's being hard tires is that puncturing the side was was something I didn't have to worry too much about. My side walls had 6" cuts but never leaked air or got worse but the ride was harsh.

I've been looking for Duratracs since February and I eventually had to but them online. All the shops were sold out and there was a national back order.

got the trailer PTI plates and is ready to haul stuff around. i still have lots of work to make it trail ready but its at least registered.
uhu3yny9.jpg
nybyza4e.jpg
a3ane9en.jpg

Looks great man. Nice job.

Thanks. It was fun driving it around town and turning heads.

made a trip out to Kings Canyon Sequoia park for a week of camping. the plan was to take the Subaru but my dad had a problem with his truck so i had to take mine to haul 11 ppl's junk around. 3 days before the trip i installed plugs, jba 8mm wires, and the screaming demon ignition coil. immediately after the tune up i drove it around and…wow!! it took off like it never had before and i feel the pull from a dead stop. i use to get 12.3-13.5 mpg with normal driving, on an empty truck and just me as the only passenger. i drove it from long beach to Visalia with a bed full of junk, with junk on top of the bed, 3 bike, 5 passengers, a/c blowing through the grapevine and got 14+ mpg's! i was stoked so say the least. i will report on what the mpg's are with my normal driving when i go through a couple tanks.
DSC_0476-1.jpg
DSC_0477-1.jpg
DSC_0899-1.jpg

went to pismo the weekend before thanksgiving for 5 days and i drove the truck there and back with 2 dirt bikes and all my camping equipment. i beat the piss out of the ST and it took it like a champ all the upgrades i did before the trip were well worth it.
DSC_0072-2.jpg
DSC_0148-1.jpg
DSC_0127-2.jpg
DSC_0258-1.jpg
DSC_0252-1.jpg
DSC_0253.jpg
DSC_0348-1.jpg
DSC_0349-1.jpg
DSC_0308-2.jpg
DSC_0167-1.jpg
DSC_0205-1.jpg
DSC_0219.jpg
DSC_0065-3.jpg
DSC_0189-1.jpg
DSC_0305-2.jpg
DSC_0328-1.jpg
DSC_0222-1.jpg

Excellent man, the trac is looking good. I'm jealous of the trailer. I might have to copy you on that someday.

Awesome pictures !!! I miss living out west. Did you got a sponsor?

Thanks Casey I wish I could have taken it with me but I didn't have anything to put in it. If you decide to build a trailer I have a set of ST bedsides in storage!

Thanks Rebel! The sponsor is me, I started a business in the offroad niche!

Cool, I'll keep that in mind if I can't find them.

Is your business a locking nut for your shocks and coilovers? Similar to a locking lug nut?

It's a lock for your shocks. It slips on the nut and bolt just like a washer. Check out www.ShockSecurity.com for detailed pictures

That's cool man. I've heard you guys deal with that a lot down there, people stealing shocks off your trucks. That's lame. But good little invention though.

Sweet man, best of luck building it up.

Back