Does anyone ever get tired of having a modded ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone ever get tired of having a modded ex?

My 96 Sport has been turboed for almost a year now. I love the boost and the added HP the turbo makes, but it seems to be problem after problem. Im almost to the point of putting it back to stock. Oil leak after oil leak, blow by, coolant leaks, dies all the time at lights (tune), ****ty mpg, slipping clutch, ect... Does anyone else get tired of having a modded ex?

This is more of a rant than a use full thread. :(

Write your answer, and if you feel the same way explain it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep

I used to have a supercharged 1st Gen with ported heads, 422 cam, headers, full exhaust, 700r4 transmission, etc etc.

I got tired of all the little things that I had to keep an eye on very closely....to the point where I just wanted to just be able to get in the thing and drive like anyone else.

I'm being very careful to avoid "over modding" my new truck...just keeping it really simple. Biggest thing I will probably ever do is install a nitrous kit....pretty simple and that way I can just turn it off or remove it fairly easily if needed.

I am the opposite. I sometimes get bored of not having enough mods. Haha. But yeah i would not want my truck to become like yours. I really like the reliability of it right now. Good luck

I used to have a supercharged 1st Gen with ported heads, 422 cam, headers, full exhaust, 700r4 transmission, etc etc.

I got tired of all the little things that I had to keep an eye on very closely....to the point where I just wanted to just be able to get in the thing and drive like anyone else.

I'm being very careful to avoid "over modding" my new truck...just keeping it really simple. Biggest thing I will probably ever do is install a nitrous kit....pretty simple and that way I can just turn it off or remove it fairly easily if needed.

Thats where im at with my truck... I am to the point of wanting a ex that i can jump in and go and not have to worry about it blowing up, leaking some kind of fluids. Dont get me wrong i love having the only turbo ex in my area but the upkeep on it is killing me...

That's pretty much why you need a daily driver. Having a modded Explorer is fun. Fun on the weekends. :)

That's pretty much why you need a daily driver. Having a modded Explorer is fun. Fun on the weekends. :)

There is something to be said for factory stock. You can do it all yourself, but when the manufacturer does it, it's been tested and tested again, to make sure it stands up over time. My buddy has a Mazdaspeed 3, which is 263 hp turbo and is fast as hell. He's already put over 50K hard miles on it, and it's been perfect.

Very true statement... I bought my ex for a daily driver and it kinda morphed into i turbo ****box...:p:

Driveability & mods

I try to perform modifications that do not negatively impact driveability. That way I won't tire of driving my Sport. In my opinion, except for race cars, driveability is just as important as performance. A good test is whether or not your spouse or adult child can still drive your vehicle without getting special instructions.

A good test is whether or not your spouse or adult child can still drive your vehicle without getting special instructions.

I gotta agree 100% with that!!! I own 5 cars that my wife isnt allowed to drive because of the work done to them (or 'cause none of them work at the time!!). Thats why she has her own car that im NOT allowed to touch, unless it needs to be repaired.

My advice, get a Daily Driver, save the mods for your toy or toys.

It truly takes time to get all mods just right; especially when it comes to tuning. Most people take short cuts and run into problems and it only gets worse when you keep modding. Even the simple things can turn into a nightmare if not done correctly along with taking the extra time to get the small things right. For example; installing a set of headers and using the stock bolts or not taking the time to get the PCV system correct on a force feed vehicle....a ripple effect to more problems.

Unfortanaly, one of the bigger mods is a turbo and many things can go wrong. It can get frustrating but you have to pay to play...one way or another.

I have managed to maintain drivability with all the mods I have. The truck is quick and reliable. I can beat the heck out of it and it holds up. I have dealt with some problems but took the time to fix them right and they have not come back to bother me. The more mods you have though, the more potential for problems. It is just the nature of the beast.

I could let anyone drive the truck and they would be fine, but I have only let others drive it twice since the engine swap and it wasn't very far. She is my baby, what can I say...

evil isn't modded, but with the paint job, it sucks having to go to the store, and park waaaaaaaaay away from everyone in fear someone will ding, or scratch it!

But to answer your question, yes; I've felt like running mine off a cliff a time or two. ;)

I agree with Jakee, if you don't get quality parts and a good tune, then you'll have nothing but problems.

I haven't done much to the Ex, but I took my Ranger overboard(v8 swap) to where it needs some work before daily driving. I should have rebuilt the V6 because I would be driving it now, but then I wouldn't have bought the Ex and found this site:D

I'm the same way as far as wanting a balnace of performance and reliability. My truck is a GOOD DD and has mild bolt-on's. And honestly at this point I have ran outta ideas as far as modding because everything else involves digging into the engine or Forced Induction. Neither is fesiable at this point. So All I really can do now is keep her clean and maintained in Good condition!

my turbo sploder is still going and going and going...

Yeah, and your not making any power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I laid down roughly 75ft lbs and 40 hp on 5 lbs. I also only spent 150$ on parts. No tune no intercooler just fmu now. I never was after big power as you noticed my truck is a 4x4. I have other turbo cars in the works if they ever get done lol

Back