Dream to be fast | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dream to be fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
New supercharger

I am relatively new to the website. I am allways looking for possilbe upgrades to my X, so in digging around I found what may be the golden key. I am only in the investigation stage. I don't have alot of info yet, but it looks like they have developed a stealth supercharger for the 4.0 L Mustang, and are looking at a conversion kit to mount into an Explorer. What makes this supercharger so awsome is that unlike most others, it's boost starts just off idle and has a very linear curve all the way through the rev band. ( So you don't just get a hit at 4000 rpm to redline.) Also, you can adjust the psi boost externally. So if you have it set to 5 psi, ( Approx. 55 hp. gain and 70 ft torque) you don't even need an intercooler set up. It comes with it's own oil cooler that is mounted off the radiator, so you don't even have to tap into the oil system. The supercharger is about the size of an alternator and is serpentine belt driven. It's almost a plug and play supercharger. Now, I don't know that you will get 55 hp from 5 psi on a 4.0 L X. Nobody has tried this combination out yet. I am in talks with the developer about installing one in my truck and doing a photo layout and install description in return with results. :biggthump
Looks like we will be guinee pigs and have to break some uncharted territory. If anyone else has been down this road please send me some feedback. What did you like and not like? How much did you spend ? And anything you learned along the way could be very helpful. Thanks guys and I will keep you posted as this developes. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the link Jeff provided - Hose Adapter Thread Size: 1 in. NPT

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

man you guys are thorough.

man you guys are thorough.

To do it right, you have to be. Either do it correctly, or don't do it at all. You'll spend more money with less results if you go at it half-assed.

Also, horsepower and performance do not come cheaply. I've probably got about $2k in my Mach just to go from 269rwhp to 302rwhp (no nitrous! ) I've done a Borla cat back, Meziere electric water pump, PHP intake spacer, C&L CAI/MAF, aluminum flywheel and a custom tune. Not all the components added top end #,s but they did all contribute to a very nice power band.:thumbsup:

Hey guys. Another thing...there's a produce out there called a "waterpumpwatchdog" or something like that. It's supposed to monitor the pump's voltage output, and flast a dummy light when something's up. Might be a good idea, and could save you someday.

Hey guys. Another thing...there's a produce out there called a "waterpumpwatchdog" or something like that. It's supposed to monitor the pump's voltage output, and flast a dummy light when something's up. Might be a good idea, and could save you someday.

Now thats a friend!! I was thinking about a safety device or a relay of some kind to just help my " hope this works" factor! Do you have the link or more info?? Man this site is absolutely the best. Thanks Jakee!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I know a guy that has been running a Craig Davies Universal Water Pump in his Olds455 for over 8 years....he had 1 problem about 6 years ago with it, it was out of warranty, but they STILL replaced it for free....minus shipping to/from Australia...if I am going to keep this 4.0L any longer, I may just see about doing an Electric Water Pump of some type.

Ryan

Awsome look out Jakee!!!!!! :thumbsup: I'm on it.

So, looks like we have worked out the e water pump together,,, I have some final qestions I'm gonna ask on Monday to determine some details. Once they are settled, I'll order both the e water pump and the watchdog.

this is gonna be great. I feel like a kid the month before Christmas!! Everday I walk through the garage and see the stack of boxes with Gibson, Excalabator 2 SCT, and K&N , man it's tough!!!, I think I'm gonna call the dyno shop and see if I can move up that dyno run. I have to start installing next weekend or I'll explode!!! :bounce:

and yeah, I checked out the exlax ad, funny lookin ad, advertising a forum about "letting er rip!" did'nt seem to be anyone there though.

subscribe

I'm gonna step back and let you and Aldive do this mod. Then you guys can tell me what not to do? heheheh

Easy there fella, just interrested in your blower. I'll be eventually installing an m90 in my truck...

I like any boost read. I find boost, especially roots blowers, facinating. Just the idea of cramming all that air right into the intake gives me a chubby.

Well, I have the complete skinny on the E water pump. I spent the better part of my afternoon pretending to work so I could get the info I needed to make the right choice. Heres what I found out.

The stock water pump pushes 20 gpm at 2500 rpm, and 55 at 6000 rpm due to rush feed backflow. ( another words that the pumps is spinning so fast it becomes less efficient.) I live in Florida, Hot Hot Hot!!!, so I figure the EWP 110 pushes 110 liters per min. That translates to 30 ish gpm. The key here is unrestricted. So the actual flow could be as low as 23-25 gpm. Not nearly enough for my purpose. By the way, I got the info directly from Ford. So I asked them what if there was any recomendations,,,I was put on hold,,,,about 10 minutes later someone picked up and asked who I was holding for, I restated my situation and my question, they put me on hold again. This time i was on hold for 15, maybe 20 minutes. then a female voice came on the line and asked the same question, I repeated myself and she then informed me that when she took part in the multi stage developement of the Ford Serria Baja project they used an after market part and she gave me the number. I called the number and they said I was looking for the ,,,,get this JDraper, the Meziere high flow pump, Part # WP336. I asked for install intructions and they said sure, mount it to the inside area of the side wall, run what ever size hose required to and from the pump.( It's an inline pump.) The Meziere is rated at 55 GPM and has a life span of 3000 hrs. Although he said that that is a continuos figure. With start and stop operation he said life expectancy exceeds that of mechanical pumps. AND, if anything should go wrong, the pump is completely rebuildable, and come witha 2 year unlimited warrenty. For Southeasten residents you can call 561-375-6277. He is a dealer in FT. Lauderdale, the place is called Race Parts Solutions. Ask for John. The pump casts 371.00, 403.00 to have it shipped and with tax, I ordered mine today, he said I should have it tommarrow. You will need to know the size fittings you need for inlet and outlet. Meziere sells the adaptors that outfit the pump for the size hose you need. I figure the size I need was 1 3/4. If your size is the same, the part number for that is WN-0033. You will need two.:)

Great info; thanks for your research.

A question : how do you plumb the pump?

Thanks ....

Easy there fella, just interrested in your blower. I'll be eventually installing an m90 in my truck...

I like any boost read. I find boost, especially roots blowers, facinating. Just the idea of cramming all that air right into the intake gives me a chubby.

So what did you want to know? And by the way, I don't take part in helping give guys chubbys, So we can talk, but no touchy touchy!!! :nono:
LOL, if you want info on the supercharger I'm using go to wheel2wheel.com They have all the different sizes there. If you want more spec info Ihave all that just let me know which one your interested in. The one I'm going to use is the C-84. Adjustable boost range from 5 psi to 11 psi.

Hey Al, can you clearify your question?

Great info; thanks for your research.

A question : how do you plumb the pump?

Thanks ....

Best way will probably be to remove the stock pump, gut the impeller out of it, replace the stock pump sans impeller, and then splice the new pump in line with the heater core input line. On edit.....Getting good flow to the radiator is going to be key. I wish I had a good pix of the guts of an Explorer water pump to see how it's flow pattern is set up.

Best way will probably be to remove the stock pump, gut the impeller out of it, replace the stock pump sans impeller, and then splice the new pump in line with the heater core input line. On edit.....Getting good flow to the radiator is going to be key. I wish I had a good pix of the guts of an Explorer water pump to see how it's flow pattern is set up.

Yeah, that's exactly how I visioned putting it into the truck. And when you gut the mechanical pump, make sure to either plug the weep hole or not damage it so as to activate the weep hole.

Oh by the way, I couldn't move the dyno run up. Still on for wed. morning. DAMN!!:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back