• Register Today It's free!

drop or stock pitman arm w/SAS?

daddy_ja

Reaction score
City, State
glendale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer EB
cant seem to find what im looking for in a search. which would be better to use to keep the trac bar and drag link parallel? what did you other SAS guys use? i currently have a skyjacker drop pitman, but im wondering if it will be to much of a drop when doing an SAS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the drop on mine.

1600DrivSide.jpg

I would stay with a drop arm. I went to a stock arm to try to match up with my track bar but then when i flexed it was limited and putting alot of strain on the pitman arm and the outer seal of the steering box cuz the rod end didnt have that much of full range of movement.So i switched back to the drop arm. When i get back to the states im gonna tear my mount back off and build another mount with adjustable holes to get the trac bar to match up. Not the best pick but you can see the difference in the trac and steering.

Attachments

• 100_0727.JPG
    100_0727.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 258

Take this as a mere 2 cents as I have a 2nd gen. . .
I do not have a drop pitman, and actuall wish I could find a flat pitman arm as I currently connect the draglink to the top of the pitman arm (3/4" heim with high offset spacer). However I also have the draglink connected to a high steer arm, so the angle isn't that extreme, and matches with the track bar.

Attachments

• 100_4431.jpg
    100_4431.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 251

It depends....

on how you are setting up your steering. Like Jefe, I don't have a drop on mine, and the drag line runs to the same height as the high steer arms. If you are running it high like that you may not need a drop at all. But if you are running it down to where the stock steering would be on a dana 44, I could see needing one. Ideally you want the steering, and the track bar, as flat as possible at ride height. Make that your goal and use what you need to to get there.

sounds good fellas, i appreciate it. i guess i will see how it looks when i test fit the axle. you guys rock, i didnt even have to ask for pics!!!

side note: Hey Splodo, are you an Egress troop??

I'm using a stock pitman arm at the moment. The reason is that it matches my trackbar angle much better than when I had the drop arm on it. I think it really all depends on what your angles turn out like.

Back