Elessar65's new Project: SAS rebuild | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Elessar65's new Project: SAS rebuild

Definitely need to think of something for that lower radiator hose. With the angle its at the hose clamps aren't cutting it. I may have to do something weird here. Just went for a test drive and made it all of 10 minutes before it blew out where the metal flexi-hose attatches to the rubber adapter thingy at the radiator. Hmmm....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would say that is a cap problem, too much pressure, , have the cap tested,, see if it is a 13 lb cap or not,,

no idea what the pressure is for the cap. Its the free Griffin one that came with the radiator.

Might want to ask IZ where he got the tube for his rig from.

bead.jpg

Well, I haven't updated this in a while, but I have gotten a few more minor things accomplished on the rig. No pics yet though. I got the Mile Marker locking hubs installed on the front axle. Got the 4.88 spool'd 3rd member installed, and replaced everything on the rear brakes. Currently the interior is torn up again so I can put in my new Art Carr shifter (if it ever gets here). The transfer case has been pulled so I can replace all the seals in it, since it leaks like a seive. Debating on twin sticking it, but with a D44 front axle, and a 351w under the hood I think the first time I do a front dig I would hear the axles snapping. I would like to build a 203/205 doubler for it eventually, but thats a ways down the priority list.

Anyways, once I get the drive-line back together all I will have to do is weld some mounts on the tube and throw some shocks on it, and get the front axle re-geared to match the rear. At least thats all I will have to do to actually hit the dirt in it. I'm sure that a bunch of stuff will not be working to my satisfaction and will need re-working.

Also it needs the ignition gone through and freshened up, as well as the carb. Definitely a new air cleaner and filter, header gaskets, and the whole exhaust is full of holes. But that stuff is all minor (except the header gaskets, that will be fun).

So this is your Ranger you were talking about? The Ranger will be a HUGE improvement over the Sport, but the Sport did a pretty fine job in 2wd at Frostbite;)

How's it coming together? Looking forward to updates and seeing it perform!

So this is your Ranger you were talking about? The Ranger will be a HUGE improvement over the Sport, but the Sport did a pretty fine job in 2wd at Frostbite;)

How's it coming together? Looking forward to updates and seeing it perform!

Its coming along, lol.... While I was at Jons yesterday I ended up getting a set of 1 ton axles for it for pretty cheap. So I have those to think about now too. I think what I am going to do is just complete the build with the D44 under it now, and wheel it while I save up money to build up the D60 and Sterling. Its gonna take a lot of fab work to make those work, at least up front. Thinking 3 link with panhard. 37-40" tires. Probably just go with leaf springs in the rear still, at least at first while I learn from what will probably end up being several failed link designs up front.

If you need any ideas on how to make the front work, just say the word and I'll draw up some pictures;)

Jason let me help him work on the truck last night. Let me help with explaining why I was excited about this. There are two definitions of 'helping' between Jason and I:

~Jason - stand by and run back and forth from the truck to the garage and hand him tools.
~Tiffany - really wanting to FIX the truck but instead hearing Jason cuss and see him getting frustrating taking everything personally because I brought the wrong size of tool or the wrong tool.

Well, we both learned a lot last night because once I got my hands on Jason's tools (pun intended) I wasn't giving them back. He realized that just sitting there watching was NO FUN... and I realized that it's not me doing something wrong... it's the damn nut not loosening up!!!! :frustrate

Here are two pictures as proof!!

imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

Well, the front axle is all ready to go now. Just need to take it by the shop I work at tomorrow and get the ball joints out to separate the knuckles. Then a quick trip to the car wash to blast the grease and stuff off, then its off to get gear'd and lock'd. Hopefully I get a chance sometime this week to get that done.

I am wondering weather I need to replace the axle shafts too. When we took them out the other night they were in pretty sorry shape. Rusty and filthy. I'll clean them up and take a good look at them I guess. Bronco Graveyard has a complete set of off brand chromos with joints and slingers for like $375, and an oem set is like $290. So I may go that route. I also need to replace the steering linkages, and rebuild the gear box, since it leaks like crazy. Sigh, it never ends...

Now wait--wha?
I can't deal with this--are you knocking off the spindles?

Yes, going to town with a hammer and cold chisel. (would have taken 3 seconds flat with and air chisel)

Dang I was in Manhattan on Saturday and could have came and helped but by looking at the pictures I would not have been of much help the parties started really early:D. Can't wait to go see what that thing is capable of especially out on the steps at Tuttle.

Yeah, me too. I am just gonna put it back together the way it was, no extended arms or anything. I don't want to spend a ton of $ on these axles and this setup. I just want to be able to use it. Finally.

dang guess i am staying away from Manhattan KS someone there can swing a mean hammer :D

Pete's the one who needs to stay away. He's the one who has that hammer meeting flesh problem.

HEY, that thumbnail grew back , good as new,,

Ok, got some work done today since nice weather and my day off coincided for the first time in months. Got the axle all cleaned and painted. Could have, and should have, spent longer on prep, but I just wanted it to not look like crap. I'm not going for a show truck here, lol. Thats the old diff cover also, I'm gonna get a different one eventually.
2jeut4x.jpg

Also, I got the transfer case linkage all hooked up to my twin stick shifters. (major PITA btw) And I also got a plate welded into the floor to mount the trans shifter to. But I'm not sure I like where its at, so idk if its gonna stay. No pics of that stuff today, sorry.

Got some stuff done on the passenger side today. Pulled the fender liner and the heater box/blower motor, etc to make room for the shock towers, and got the ballistic adjustable coil bucket welded in on that side.

Mock up of shock tower
29bd4dd.jpg

Coil Bucket on
10893zc.jpg

Pic of my welding skill, or lack of
34pkrqt.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I will have the drivers side done, and maybe the axle back in. We'll see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back