Explorer buggy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer buggy

Still in the concept stage but I wanted to post a pic. I don't even intend to start the build until next spring/summer. I have realized after building my X it's just way too nice to go bash on the rocks so it will remain a DD and I'll build a trail only rig.

I chopped a pic of a 2nd gen, but I want to use a 1st gen for the build.

explorer_buggy_concept.jpg

The front and rear would be narrowed something like this.

top_down.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet!

plans?
frame?

I can't wait to see how it turns out. I have always wanted to chop the back off of my sport like that. But not until I have another DD.

All to come, I've got all winter to hammer out the details. I'm thinking of staying with the stock frame, but it will be plenty strong after a cage is installed, either internal or external. The frame would have to be sectioned front and rear for a low center of gravity while still keeping uptravel. 4 link with coilovers front and rear.

cut and turn the frame after the cab then, a new trend in desert trucks too, more bump travel!!

Froader, i really like your first design. Your interior in your explorer is too nice to expose to the elements like in the 3rd one.

That's actually funny, a couple weeks ago i did this little MS paint alteration to Boomer's explorer...
XvsCar.jpg

I like that first one froader. Most important for me is keeping the approach angles as extreme as possible. I'm going with the 2dr to keep my wheelbase in check, might end up at 120" or so. Hoping to get it pretty light too so I can tow it with my 01, don't really want to go buy a tow rig too.

Hey Colin you going linked?

Akay -- like.. you know... in order to keep the body at the same width (as stock that is), in the picture below, you'd need super wide axles (or wheels with zero backspacing). The alternative would be to take a foot or so from the center of the body and reweld the entire thing together (like a clam shell that's fallen apart and the two halves are like, hey, miss ya, *weld*).

top_down.jpg

I like that first one froader. Most important for me is keeping the approach angles as extreme as possible. I'm going with the 2dr to keep my wheelbase in check, might end up at 120" or so. Hoping to get it pretty light too so I can tow it with my 01, don't really want to go buy a tow rig too.

From your drawing (I know it's just a concept drawing), but I would say the WB will be shorter than 120." I can't imagine you would stretch it by more than 16."

Jamie, it will eventually be linked, but i'm going to do it without moving the tank.

I need to work on my drawings, since I've thought of other ideas for them. Those are over a year old already. :)

Oh, nice paint skillz mounty. You should try that to your 91!! :)

I like!!! Can't wait to see it. Best Ex ever made!!!

Froader, The last one is coolest looking by far, but you'de have to do serious water proofing! Maybe you could fashion a bikini top for it?

Froader, The last one is coolest looking by far, but you'de have to do serious water proofing! Maybe you could fashion a bikini top for it?
Way ahead of you. :)

Full canvas top.

My_Truggy_Canvas.jpg

Nice!

Some canvas half doors too!
My_Truggy_Canvas.jpg

Thought this looks kinda cool.
100_5878.jpg

That looks like *gasp* a Heep!

One of the reasons I picked an Explorer to build was to shut up my friends with XJ's. Takes a little more work but they can be just as capable.

I'm not saying go get a jeep, i just liked the uniqueness of that one. And we have a real frame that Xjers don't have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back