Finally- a decent Transfer-case option for us! The Behemoth Strongbox Doubler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally- a decent Transfer-case option for us! The Behemoth Strongbox Doubler

Kirby N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
My little ranger is just not quite low enough in the rocks. I did the 4 cylinder transmission gear swap and that helped, but 5.13s and 35s still just isn't enough.

IMG_0693.jpeg

On my last build, I did the D and D doubler kit that is no longer available. The gearing was awesome, but there were a few things I didn't love. Duffy, the creator of the kit, told me never to put the front case in low when the rear case was in high. He said that would break the shaft in a heartbeat. That was a bit of a bummer because I wanted to use 2 low at times- and shifting the front without shifting rear would allow 2 low even when the hubs were locked. It also just made me feel a bit uneasy about the strength and reliability of the thing.

I had to cut the front case and weld in a block off plate to cover the hole where the chain went. This wasn't a huge deal, but I suck at tig welding so I had to get a guy to do it. Mine didn't leak after the second try at sealing it- and luckily the guy I had weld it did a wonderful job. But they were a little prone to leaking.

After all the driveshaft and belly pan work in my last build, I had decided I was going to run an Atlas on the ranger instead of a doubler. However, Advance Adapters no longer supports our platform. Thats not handy.

Here is a picture of my last rig:
IMG_3627.jpg

Then I ran across Behemoth Drivetrain a few months ago: Behemoth Drivetrain

I know they used to have a terrible reputation but they have been purchased by a new owner, Jim. I called and spent some time talking to Jim and to his lead guy, Dillon, and I was really pleased to learn about where they have taken the company. Their shorty case for the 1354 Ranger and Explorer transfer case is a really innovative idea. It incorporates the whole front housing of the case into the doubler for a super short setup. The doubler basically houses the planetaries from both cases. It comes in at just over 4" over all!! I have 7" until I would interfere with the gas tank. Plenty of space.

I am pretty sure this case will fit in a Explorer Sport without getting into the gas tank.

This design also includes a support bearing on the shaft between the cases and a unique design for the intermediary shaft that allows it to be shorter because the transmission shaft goes inside the intermediary shaft.

Behemoth said I can do whatever I want and the shaft won't break. front case in low, rear in whatever.

Ill have to lengthen the front driveshaft- but that will help with the amount of available travel before my driveshaft bottoms, and I will have to shorten the rear driveshaft- which will help with the vibes it makes at 85 MPH.

I will post pictures when it gets here. Everything I am seeing and learning about it- I think it will exceed my expectations.

Ranger-Shorty-SB_1512x1512.png

I have never seen a doubler quite like this. I am really stoked to put it together and have low gears again. Once you have had low gears, nothing really compares.

They also have this beautiful billet tcable shifter- I got the twin stick setup. The doubler allows a ton of clocking options. My case hangs down maybe an inch now- should be able to fix it.

et_Aluminum_Cable_Shifters_Gear_Shifters_1512x1512.png

They also make a more typical 1354 doubler- little bit longer in size but similar design to the D and D and others I have seen- but without the strength concerns.

Checkout their website!

I had to buy one and a billet twin stick. I will add pictures when I receive mine and of course along the way as I install it. Pretty stoked to have some good support for our platform since Advance Adapters ditched us. And hey, this one is cheaper than an atlas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

let me know how it is and if they turned the company around!

Will do! Talking to them is what gave me the confidence to trust them with my hard earned cash. They have a ton of install videos too that put into perspective the thought and work they put into improving on what Behemoth once created. I am stoked to see the product in person!

Will do! Talking to them is what gave me the confidence to trust them with my hard earned cash. They have a ton of install videos too that put into perspective the thought and work they put into improving on what Behemoth once created. I am stoked to see the product in person!
yep, usually if you can talk to a fab person there thats a good start if they seem to knwow hat theyre doing! now when you csnt fet theough or get transferred overseas then its :banghead:

You will not be disappointed with behemoth. They are a top notch company now. I am still running a strongbox from the original owner. I ordered a strongbox with shifters from the new owner. It arrived when he said it would and it is a piece of art.

_

3D6A85C9-FD0F-40B6-BB66-043A2E85A254.jpeg

Yes. You need more low gear options

Did you get this yet? I am still rocking my D and D doubler from like 2006 with a spare on the shelf. Once I plugged the factory vent hole and tapped the top of the case for a relocated vent and used great stuff sealant my leak issues went away. But with the cutaway case like I am running I can't run an Atlas ( I have Paul B old case) behind it. The Atlas shifters hit the doubler. I need to give behemoth a call and see what they have to say about it. 150 ish to 1 crawl ratio would be awesome.

Not quite, but a couple of days ago I came home to a surprise!

You relocated the breather? I dont think I did that on my d and d, but I would have to check the thread. it was a long time ago.

My current case is leaking- I have to see what the heck is the issue. I put new seals in it when I had it apart and it is definitely leaking more than it was prior.

I got the shifters from behemoth.

Shifter 1.jpg

I quickly got it into the kitchen and un boxed them. I didn't think they would come with cables, but they did! I am impressed with the quality and size of these things.
Shifter 3.jpg

I think I am going to make a new plate for my floor out of thicker steel than the current aluminum and have it rhino coated with a hole for these shifters. I need to find a good manual trans boot without the tcase boot attached. That could be a chore.
It came with an independent boot for the twin sticks:

Shifter 5.jpg

Shifter 8.jpg

Sounds like we have a winner on what we use. when we replace the t-case in the Explorer.

How much? Dare I ask

Does it cost?

Look like pure beefyness.

Yes I know I could check the website or read back a bit.. just need to know how many $20’s to hoard before I can afford this beast lol lol

How much do you have in it at the end of the day with shifter setup and driveshaft mods

The box is $1495, the twin stick shifters are $545 and the shipping was about $70 if I remember correctly.

I did get a good box in the mail the other day. Time for assembly soon!

Doubler 1.jpg
Doubler 2.jpg
Doubler 3.jpg

I won't be able to assemble right away. I need to gather the donor planetary and sun gear and I have a really busy work schedule for the next month- hoping to get to it sometime late July.

I dont know if anyone has seen this- but it is a really sweet concept for those who came stock with the problematic 1354 auto tcase.

It is a manual shift conversion. You use their cable shift setup with it and basically it turns an auto into a manual.

$900!!!

Inflation is real

Can you imagine the porch pirate run up there and try to grab that box? Hahahaha have to be pretty strong thief

Nicest ranger on ef! That is for sure!!

well one of the nicest I forgot about the 07 I’m finishing hahahaha

How much? Some Chinese guy will purchase one and copy it. Then he will sell 10s of thousands of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back