Finally- a decent Transfer-case option for us! The Behemoth Strongbox Doubler | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally- a decent Transfer-case option for us! The Behemoth Strongbox Doubler

1354. You take the sun gear and planetaries out of a donor and put them in the doubler. I am pretty sure mine is 4 gears too since it is a 91, so I’ll get two planetaries. It can be an auto to donate parts so there is only about 15 in my local pick and pull. Will be cheap and easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a case I pulled from the donor when my dash melted. It's for RockRanger, but it's been sitting for a few years now. The shipping would probably cost as much, if not more, than you pulling one at the JY. Also have the planataries from a NP231 with the 27 spline input for the 700R4 I kept in case I ever get a ecobox. I sold the NP231 in parts, someone wanted the SYE, someone else wanted the Teraflex 2low conversion.

How long is the doubler? I'm exploring options for way down the road. Want a doubler, but the NWF iBox is still at the top of my list, just because it integrates into my Atlas II, keeping it short. Anything longer, and the transfer case would be trying to use the same place as the floor. I know the iBox would fit, because it and the Atlas II combined is the same length as the NP231 I had under there.

When I'm out on the trails, I always think how nice it would be to have another low range that's higher than my 3.8 Atlas, then combined at roughly 10:1 would be nice for high altitude wheeling when my 4.0 is real gutless. With the 700R4 trans, I will use low range sooner just so I can put the trans in 2nd or 3rd and lock the torque converter. It never gets hot that way.

Your Ranger is one of my all time favorite builds.

Thank you, Brian. And yes I do believe the parts from a junk yard would be the best bet. They are plentiful in the electronic shift version and I will do the surgery in the yard so I am only buying the stuff I need.

I think it comes out to just over 4”. That is what is so cool about thier shorty version. It replaces the whole front part of the case and the shaft is hollow- one goes inside and the other on the outside. It’s really a cool design that was first thought up by a rroc crony gremilstien if I understand correctly and then perfected by behemoth.

I am really impressed by the craftsmanship and stoked to get it in there.

I have this on my wishlist to do for the Navajo. My problem is even the short box, will hit my gas tank I think..🫤. I have a spare donor case sitting on the side of the garage.

My dad does have the old doubler kit if anyone is interested in it for sale. I was going to go that route but decided the behemoth is more compact.

Yeah I did a d and d machine one in my Navajo/ 2 door sport- and I had to move the gas tank back 1”. I documented that. It wasn’t a big deal because I moved my rear axle back 1” so I just modified the mounts- but kept the stock mounts. I also shaved the dampner and mounts on the back case. I do Believe this one is shorter so it is more doable. I’ll put a tape to it when I get home.

Website says it adds 4.4" for the shortly. I think I was short a inch or so. I really should just move the gas tank anyway. Make it easier for linking the rear.

Yeah the b2 gas tank is good but lots to it.

I actually have a OBS F-150 rear tank that will fit. Was going to use it in JP, but never did.

Subscribed…..I’m dealing with that dumb auto tcase nonsense again the last few months on my manual ‘92 LongTravel Expo. Always nickel and dimming me over the years. I’m contemplating the manual conversion from beheamoth, and great to hear the company’s cust svc has turned the corner. My fab guy mentioned finding a used atlas, but that could take a long time, so maybe need to chk into their tcase options with the extra gear reduction when on trails, since a full engine drivetrain swap to a v8 setup seems much further out in future because of cost. Might have to make this keep working for a while.

Thanks for the thread, perfect timing!

Back