Floor mats/liners/cargo mats | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Floor mats/liners/cargo mats

Hmm, I might get that smaller deep well version. I'd like to protect the well from leaky groceries, or returning recycling, etc.

When I bought my Explorer I checked out the longer version that only works when the 3rd rows are stowed away. It was a terrible design, as expected. While the mat rolled up, it was too wide to fit into the well, and having to switch it every-time you change seats was a deal breaker.

Update: I've ordered the well part, as well as the rear bumper protector. Will pick up tomorrow. About to go on a road trip, don't want any spills or scratches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 2017 Explorer Sport and went looking for all weather mats. I came across Max Floor Liner on Amazon and E-bay. At least $100 cheaper than WeatherTech (I have in my other 2 cars) I figured I could always send back. The fronts fit perfect, 2nd row required a very minor trim near the console. Third row required minor trim and a notch in the middle. I am very particular and I am pleased with this product. One problem with my current WeatherTechs is that I need to fold them a bit to remove them and if I am not careful, they spring back and the debris tends to fly out inside the car. These seem about 25% "softer" than my WeatherTechs. I did end up with a WeatherTech small cargo mat over the spare tire. The photos were misleading at Max Floor Liner and other companies all seemed to show a large mat that would cover the 3rd row area. It wasn't perfect, but fit was 95%.

I just bought a 2017 Explorer Sport and went looking for all weather mats. I came across Max Floor Liner on Amazon and E-bay. At least $100 cheaper than WeatherTech (I have in my other 2 cars) I figured I could always send back. The fronts fit perfect, 2nd row required a very minor trim near the console. Third row required minor trim and a notch in the middle. I am very particular and I am pleased with this product. One problem with my current WeatherTechs is that I need to fold them a bit to remove them and if I am not careful, they spring back and the debris tends to fly out inside the car. These seem about 25% "softer" than my WeatherTechs. I did end up with a WeatherTech small cargo mat over the spare tire. The photos were misleading at Max Floor Liner and other companies all seemed to show a large mat that would cover the 3rd row area. It wasn't perfect, but fit was 95%.

How is the coverage on the carpeted door sills?

This is the area just after the plastic scuff plate that always takes a beating from heel strikes and dirt/snow/mud dropping. WeatherTech completely ignores this key area while Husky covers it loosely.

Even the new Ford all weather "deep dish" mats are an improvement but ignore this area.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Being where I am I have the Husky liners which are somewhat similar to the WeatherTech and I have removed them several times for cleaning and never had the "spring back" issue you mentioned. Being that in Winter they tend to accumulate snow/water, I prefer the more sturdy liners so it easier to empty them. There are different liners/sizes for the cargo area. My Platinum came with the all weather floor mats and since I use the Huskys I had the dealer trade them for the full OEM cargo liner that covers the 3rd row since I don't use it. When the order arrived, it was the smaller OEM liner for the spare tire area. It was sent back and a new order was put in and the correct one arrived a day later. BTW, Husky now also carries the softer more pliable liners.

How is the coverage on the carpeted door sills?

This is the area just after the plastic scuff plate that always takes a beating from heel strikes and dirt/snow/mud dropping. WeatherTech completely ignores this key area while Husky covers it loosely.

Even the new Ford all weather "deep dish" mats are an improvement but ignore this area.
I went and looked and they do not cover that area. They look almost exactly like the WeatherTechs. I looked up the Husky and you are correct, they have some coverage for that carpeted area. Never thought about the extra coverage but I think it would be good to have.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Being where I am I have the Husky liners which are somewhat similar to the WeatherTech and I have removed them several times for cleaning and never had the "spring back" issue you mentioned. Being that in Winter they tend to accumulate snow/water, I prefer the more sturdy liners so it easier to empty them. There are different liners/sizes for the cargo area. My Platinum came with the all weather floor mats and since I use the Huskys I had the dealer trade them for the full OEM cargo liner that covers the 3rd row since I don't use it. When the order arrived, it was the smaller OEM liner for the spare tire area. It was sent back and a new order was put in and the correct one arrived a day later. BTW, Husky now also carries the softer more pliable liners.
Thank you. I am already picking up some useful tips and since this will be my 3rd Explorer I know things to look out for. With 2 kids in year round baseball and soccer I have had plenty of clay and grass on the floor mats. I love being able to pull out the mat, hose it off and wipe it dry. I have had them in every car for 20+ years and they are the first thing I get when we buy a car.

I gave up on the weather tec and also the OEM matts as I am in the Northeast Snow country. I purchased the Husky liners and LOVE EM.. very deep and hold the junk until it evaporates.. covers the sides very will but does not have a flap on the matt side which I wish it did have to keep the crap off the carpet. I haven't found any to do that.

I have used some stick on disposable carpet protector I got at lowes and cut it to size for the winter. that works.. but the huskies are half th eprice of the weather tech also.

I was told by Weathertech that the floor liners covered the space between the rear buckets, they lied. I had to send them back. They also do not cover the carpeted area near the sill in the front. I then pursued the Husky Xact for all three rows however the issue I have is the 3rd row mat is the same whether or not you get Xact or the Weather Beaters. So the finish is different, the 1st and 2nd row are a flat looking black and the 3rd row are shiny black. I am sorry but the shiny black looks cheap. Visually I want something that looks nice and not cheap. They may be functional but they are not pleasing to the eyes. Very frustrated with trying to find something. I can't believe Ford does not have a better product. Can anyone tell me about your experience with the new "deep dish" liners I have been reading about? Thanks

I was told by Weathertech that the floor liners covered the space between the rear buckets, they lied. I had to send them back. They also do not cover the carpeted area near the sill in the front. I then pursued the Husky Xact for all three rows however the issue I have is the 3rd row mat is the same whether or not you get Xact or the Weather Beaters. So the finish is different, the 1st and 2nd row are a flat looking black and the 3rd row are shiny black. I am sorry but the shiny black looks cheap. Visually I want something that looks nice and not cheap. They may be functional but they are not pleasing to the eyes. Very frustrated with trying to find something. I can't believe Ford does not have a better product. Can anyone tell me about your experience with the new "deep dish" liners I have been reading about? Thanks
I don't think the "deep dish" All Weather mats are what you would want. For one thing the 2nd row mats are a 2 piece set, not a single like Husky or WeatherTech and I'm not sure if a 3rd row mat is even available. They came with my 2017 and I exchanged them for the OEM cargo liner as I planned to use my Husky liners from the 2014 MKT in the Platinum.
https://accessories.ford.com/interior/floor-mats/kit-floor-contour-mat-10893.html

Peter

The OEM 2017 deep dish Ford ones are an improvement over the previous OEM flat "all weather" mats but again they don't cover high scuff areas that people's feet usually hit or drop dirt/snow.

That carpeted area between the door scuff plate and the floor liner is most vulnerable.

Out of all of them it appears Husky covers that area the best so far, but even on mine the plastic on the Husky curls up on that edge so its not tight to the scuff plate. It wouldnt be that hard to sell the Husky with an extension or tongue off the side so you could tuck it under the scuff plate and make a tight connection between scuff plate and Husky liner.

I tried velcro strips but they didn't hold.

Since winters are so harsh with sand and salt dropping on carpeting next idea is probably to put a small piece of clear household carpet liner tucked in under each scuff plate to hang over carpeted piece that's exposed.

Salt stains that charcoal carpet bigtime.

Are you guys getting the Husky Weatherbeater or Husky X-Act Countour?

Are you guys getting the Husky Weatherbeater or Husky X-Act Countour?
It seems that both have been ordered but mainly the Weatherbeater. I have used the latter in my last 3 vehicles now. I believe the X-Act is newer and made of a softer rubber and I don't know if they cover the sill area like the Weatherbeater does. The Weatherbeater liner is stiffer which I find handy when attempting to take them out to dump debris and water from melted snow/slush.

Peter

Can just the front be bought in the Husky? Looks like the only way to get them is with the rear too

Can just the front be bought in the Husky? Looks like the only way to get them is with the rear too
It looks like a set of front and 2nd row. I suggest calling or emailing them to see if you can get just the front ones.
I see for the 2017 the fronts are separate.

Peter

For my 2017 I was able to order just the front liners.

Peter

Thought everyone might want to see some pics of the new 2017 "Deep Dish" OEM floor mats. While they are an improvement over the current "All Weather" OEM offering they still don't cover enough carpet IMHO. The critical door sill/heel scuff area that takes a beating should be covered and it's not. If these are final production I will stay with Husky. The embossed Explorer logo is nice though.

Explorer%20Mat%201.jpg

Explorer%20Mat%202.jpg

Sadly, they do not seem to make the X-act Contour models Husky liner for the 2011 + Explorers. I guess they start with 2016 or 17, they just don't make them for my 2013. I previously ordered the Husky Weatherbeaters but they are too rough weather looking for the family care (we live on the California coast, no snow, etc.) and we thought we'd prefer the Contours. Ours is more of a town and desert vehicle vs. snow and slush.

Sarge, aside from the coverage do you think they are decent liners?

The Ford ones look like they might be a decent alternative to the unavailable Contours. Will look for them now.

Sadly, they do not seem to make the X-act Contour models Husky liner for the 2011 + Explorers. I guess they start with 2016 or 17, they just don't make them for my 2013. I previously ordered the Husky Weatherbeaters but they are too rough weather looking for the family care (we live on the California coast, no snow, etc.) and we thought we'd prefer the Contours. Ours is more of a town and desert vehicle vs. snow and slush.

Sarge, aside from the coverage do you think they are decent liners?

The Ford ones look like they might be a decent alternative to the unavailable Contours. Will look for them now.

You might like the Aries mats. That's what I went with. They aren't that utilitarian look, but still perform the function. Pics on my profile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For my 2017 I was able to order just the front liners.

Peter
Received the front liners. The one on the driver's side has one corner really folded up in the box. I have restored it somewhat back to its normal shape but as you can see it still need a little work. The box it came in stated it was for the 2015 - 2017 Explorer and is part number HUS13762 or 13762 on the Husky website. Apparently the liner was modified so it now fits the models from 2015 to 2017 inclusive. That is why the same part number appears for them on the website.

Peter

Husky.JPG

Back