Franken Sploder (Premier) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Franken Sploder (Premier)

well, i have been here more than a few years and never made one of these things haha.. so now that im rebuilding the explorer i guess i should post up some pics and what im doing.

first the stats:

engine: stock ohv 4.0l also building a snorkel
transmission: stock mazda 5 speed
transfer case: bw 13-54. i installed this after my stock electric one took a dump (see pulling off the t-case)
suspension: 4" superlift suspension system, skidplate, driveshaft, shocks and springs
front axle: dana 35 ifs, powertrax lock-right, 4:10 gears
rear axle: ford 8.8, power-trax no slip, 4:10 gears
tires/wheels: 33x12.50 r15 pro comp mud terrains, on centerline rims 15x8.5 (rims have run the rubicon multiple times)
exterior: soon i will have bushwacker fender flares, i have 2, i need 2 more (bought 2 to make sure they would work)

now here are a few recent pics :D (my sisters bf is in the driver seat)

and sorry for the big pics! :)

explorer001.jpg

explorer003.jpg

explorer002.jpg

i am also installing the snorkel this weekend, here are a few teaser pics. im using an arb top, and building the rest. i got the larger arb top, so its the 3"

this is inside the airbox
explorer004.jpg

explorer005.jpg

here is the outside, and as you can see, i cut away the support that was on the inside under the fender
explorer006.jpg

explorer010.jpg

explorer011.jpg

and here is my dad holding the snorkel pipe
explorer008.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is a before pic, after the rollover/and after for comparrison

ex2.jpg

explorer003.jpg

Nice restore (so far...). Glad you didn't get rid of it before :thumbsup:

oh i tried.. but no one wanted it hahaha! it sat for over 3 years in **** condition, and soon it will be ready to rock! and thanks bro

nice restore keep up the good work

ok, snorkel is on.. i will be cutting the fenders in just a little while to make them fit, then they are getting painted.

explorer018.jpg

explorer019.jpg

explorer020.jpg

explorer021.jpg

no one wanted it
Not true. I had that thread bookmarked ever since you posted it in the unlikely event I had $2500 to spare. Can't get the lift and lockers alone for that, much less in a running truck on 33's.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really convince my wife I 'needed' two Sports :)

Fenders, schmenders, who needs fenders? They'll just get dented up.:D

How'd you straighten the A pillar and roof line?

Nice to see your X coming back.....keep up the work so far:D

Not true. I had that thread bookmarked ever since you posted it in the unlikely event I had $2500 to spare. Can't get the lift and lockers alone for that, much less in a running truck on 33's.

Sure you can:D

Body lift $90 bucks or so
Lock right $250
33's on steelies $1200 buck or so.

$1540;)

well, i should have said it better.. there were people that wanted it, but no one could actually buy it lol

Fenders, schmenders, who needs fenders? They'll just get dented up.:D

How'd you straighten the A pillar and roof line?

the a pillar wasnt that bad.. the roofline is smashed still. the passenger door has to be SLAMMED to shut it, and can only open from the inside. plus there is a huge gap, i will get some pics of it. i sealed it up with pipe insulation though :)

Nice to see your X coming back.....keep up the work so far:D

thanks bro

Sure you can:D

Body lift $90 bucks or so
Lock right $250
33's on steelies $1200 buck or so.

$1540;)

dont forget the no-slip and regear

Wow, Jake is back from the dead. :D

Awesome to see the old faithful rig rise again. Great work so far, I love nothing more than seeing Explorers saved from the junk yard. :D Is this strictly a trail rig now? Don't you have a newer red X?

I love the snorkel install as well, the way the pipe run up the pillar and isn't pulled off from it. That's how I want to do mine. Is that all 3'' PVC?

hey jason :) yea, it will be a trail/fun rig. i will get it registered so i can drive it on the road though. i used to have an 03 x, but i traded it in and bought an audi S4. here is a pic from sunday out at the salt flats.. there was about 2" of water on the flats

yea, the snorkel is 3" pvc. if i could do it over i would have gone with the 2 1/2" top. i had to cut a rather large hole out of the fender to get the pipe to come through, because it was just too big/thick.

i was going to work on paint, but its too cold here now... nothing like 70* weather for a few weeks and then 30* and snow the next :rolleyes:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,815

ok, painted and re installed the fenders. will probably do the door next weekend and any other misc areas(hood/roof) in certain spots.

need some more $$ to keep this project going. i drove it all day today, it was fun, also gave it a bath :D

explorer022.jpg

explorer023.jpg

explorer024.jpg

explorer025.jpg

explorer026.jpg

looks awesome is ur sport a V8 cause i see the V8 emblem

na, those fenders are just off of a v8 explorer. mine has the 4.0 ohv 6

Looks great, nice work. Nice Audi, too. :D

looks good! Whats the yellow/black flex pipe you used for the snorkel?
Good to see this thing didn't get junked and now it looks like it should let you have some fun in it...
Nice Audi as well!!!

its called LT hose/ducting. its rubber with metal wire inside. its industrial strength so its pretty durable/strong. i had to go to a specialty store to get it. only one place in salt lake city sells it.. kinda dumb. also it was like 6$ a foot, and minimum 2 foot buy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so i went wheelin again with my buddy in his xterra. the xterra is on 33's and has a 2" lift. it has atleast 2" more ground clearance than the explorer. damn explorer...

DSC01569.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

Back