• Register Today It's free!

front locker?????

92 green sport

Reaction score
City, State
long island New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
I am making the plans to lift my truck 2" and put on 31" tires and swap in some gears. My question is: since I am doing the gears in both axles I want to put install limited slip carriers while I'm at it. I have a junkyard trac-lok for the rear but for a truck that is driven on pavement, can you put a locker in the front axle?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like a front locker and drive from KS to Colorado and Utah to wheel. My 4x4's are not trailer queens and are my daily driver. But our winters are not bad out this way. A front locker can be a hand full if locked in on ice.

So it would be fine on pavement but not have good traction on ice? Why?

if you have a hub unlocked your fine......with both hubs locked and lockers in the front you have sterring issues.

Most of the time when I wheel I just lock in the passangers side lock out and go. It helps with steering and most of the time I don't need the other wheel. Then if I need it, it is easy to get out and lock in the drivers side.

Now that's with a full locker like a Detroit or Lock Right. This is why some folks like the ARB and others brands where you can run around with a open or limited slip axle till you need the axle locked then just hit a switch. Don't even have to get out.

Then there are many types of limited slip differentials. Clutch types like the Trac and Power Locks that wear out and need to be serviced from time to time to the gear biasing ones that maintain the same level of possi traction.

Friend you have a whole bunch of stuff to choose from. Some I haven't even mentioned. Good luck.

Thanks. I was going to go with the Detroit EZ locker because it was cheap but now I just have to make the choice if it is really worth it for the type use my truck will see. Thanks for all of your help.

Detroit Tru-Trac L/S would be good for you. This is what I run in my D44. They are expensive but perform really well. I doubt you'll get into enough trouble to need a full locker with 31" tires.

I really didn't want to spend too much more than $250. I am thinking that I probobly won't ever need a front locking diff but since I was going to be doing the gears it would have made sense to do it with the gears. I live on Long Island, NY so I really only use the truck for fishing on the beach and going snowboarding upstate. Righ now I am leaning towards leaving the front diff open.

Back