Ghosttrain2's 1994 Explorer Rebuild - First Gen SOHC + | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ghosttrain2's 1994 Explorer Rebuild - First Gen SOHC +

My Ex started out as a nicely equipped 1994 Explorer XLT, with the 4.0 OHV, A4LD auto,electric shift transfercase,tow package,JBL sound,limited slip rear end with 3.73 gears, and leather seats.I bought this used in 1998, with 91,000 miles, sold it in 2004, and got it back in 2006 with a rod knock. It's a twin to my son's Ex in the pictures here.

100_1077.jpg

100_1078.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! Hoping to be able to get back to paint work in our new home here, as it has a garage!(been in a rental since last may with out a garage)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

great job man!!! Quick question though...

Do you have any more photos and/or tips and tricks for the firewall and kickpanels? Im doing pretty much the same thing in my navajo and just trying to research, lol. Thanks bud!

I don't have anymore photos other than what is posted on my photobucket site. I used spotweld drills (snap-on-cause he replaced the broken ones),and a spot weld cutter,which looks like a long scraper,but is hardened. I had to straighten and dolly my donor firewall as it was from a wrecked '97 Ex.With the firewall removed, the front inner fenders will be very floppy. I rewelded through the holes made from drilling out the spot welds. I did find that both firewalls had cracks starting where they meet the floor,at the tunnel. I also used weld through primer, and seam sealed the joints when I was done welding it.

Awesome build!! Doing the firewall change would take along time, but defiantly made a clean conversion. Well done!!

Thought I would post a link for the pictures of our Labor Day offroad trip.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/ghosttrain2/Nevada Explorations/
There are 148 pictures. questions and comments welcome!

Link is inop now.

Nice rig btw... I'm wanting to use gen 2 flares on mine.... after seeing your headliner from a 98 that got me thinking... I could pull one from a gen 2 to fit my 1st gen? I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 decent looking 1st gen headliners in the junkyards out of the 100s of explorers I've looked at.

I know most of the body parts are ALMOST a direct match... I know that everything isn't.

mr cribb said:
Link is inop now.

Nice rig btw... I'm wanting to use gen 2 flares on mine.... after seeing your headliner from a 98 that got me thinking... I could pull one from a gen 2 to fit my 1st gen? I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 decent looking 1st gen headliners in the junkyards out of the 100s of explorers I've looked at.

I know most of the body parts are ALMOST a direct match... I know that everything isn't.

The headliners are completly interchangable

I know most of the body parts are ALMOST a direct match... I know that everything isn't.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Most of the interior parts bolted in, with the exception of the dash, and the console. I welded the console bracket from the '97 parts Ex to the floor to make it a bolt in. The flairs were also bolt on, only had to install the square nylon inserts into the factory square holes in the wheel lip, and some 2 faced tape on the upper portion instead of drilling more holes in the fenders.

mr cribb said:
So the wheel flares are held on w/ double sided tape (the ones on the DOOR portion)?

Sorry to ask so many questions..... I like the gen 2 flares, and have been trying to gather all the necessary info to make it all work.

Thats how I plan on attaching my second gen flairs and running boards

So the wheel flares are held on w/ double sided tape (the ones on the DOOR portion)?

Sorry to ask so many questions..... I like the gen 2 flares, and have been trying to gather all the necessary info to make it all work.

No,the upper part of the flares are held in with plastic push clips. You would need to drill holes to use them. I did not want or need to drill holes in the body, to create more possible rust problems down the road.

Finally finished the brake upgrade-will post some pictures.I also replaced inner and outer spindle seals,right axle boot and clamps.

After dust and vibration destroyed a second CD player, I decided on a Sony Media player. It can play songs from a memory stick, or a an Ipod. At the same time, I also cleaned up the installation of the radio bezel by moving the fuel tank switch, rear fog light switch, and the 4x4 switch from the '94 electric shift system. I found that of the 7 or 8 wires going to the switch, only 3 are actually needed to operate the shift motor. So, it is now operated by a double pole- double throw spring to center switch.

Found this Ford TSB while cleaning out some thumb drives. I did have to do this while it was apart. Also found the floor cracking where it meets the firewall, at the transmission hump.

Attachments

• gaspedal tsb.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 482

Back