• Register Today It's free!

Hauling Motorcycles

xj220

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT V8
Hey, I'm in the market of getting a motorcycle, but before I do so I need to look at everything I'll have to get. Since I'll be moving around I need to haul my bike and was wondering if any of you guys have experience in doing so? One I was looking at is this: http://www.joehauler.com/camloc/camloc.shtml I'd buy a class III-IV hitch and it looks like it bolts up directly. The bike I'm looking at is a cruiser type (Yamaha V-star or Honda Shadow most likely). Thanks for any help. My X is a 2000 AWD V8 XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like there is a Shadow on the back of a Ranger on that site. As long as the bike isn't more than the 600lbs that the site says it is rated for, you should be fine.

image22.jpg

I made a rack very similar to that, except I used it for dirt bikes. A bike that large exceeds the tongue rating for any class III, and Class IV only gets you 750lbs with load bars, which you can't use on that setup. What I am missing here?

Besides that I used to haul an XR650L (~340lb) plus the rack weighted about 125lb and until I got air shocks, it would ride like crap with that much weight hanging out the back. (that was on a 91 explorer sport)

Save yourself the trouble, and wear and tear on your truck and bike, and get a small bike trailer. Actually for probably about the same price as the rack you could get a small folding utility type trailer to haul your bike. I think I got one at Lowe's or something for under $200 for a kit about 10 years ago, I still have it. Back when I lived in a townhouse that is what I did, and I used to fold it up and roll it behind the house. It would just be much easier to load the bike and it would be so much better on your truck. Trust me you don't want a bike that big hanging on the back of your explorer. The only downside to the trailer was when traveling to enduros I would get charged for the extra axles on all the toll plazas.

I guess I would just hate to see you spend that much on the rack system just to find out it rides horribly, which it will without some serious suspension mods.

The thing I'm worried about is that the max tongue weight for class III is 500lbs, or I could be (probably am) wrong.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I would buy a small trailer and roll the bike onto there. Is it hard to tow? I've never done it before and with a bike I don't want to mess anything up.

you'll look like an idiot with one of those rack things and a bike hanging off it, get yourself a trailer. that way you can have a trailer for the bike and if you ever need it around the house. Towing a small trailer isn't very hard, just make sure you have someone show you how to secure the bike properly (tie downs), i'm sure a dealer or whoever you're buying the bike from will be able to help you out.

+1. Get a small trailer, you could always use it for whatever. I use a 5x8 to haul 4 wheelers, an 1800 warrior, dirt bikes, coolers, junk and the list goes on. Never any problem. Found mine used for under 5 bills. and its small enough the local storage facility lets me keep it there chained up. Bolt then weld you some i hooks to the frame for tie downs. Never thought I'd need one but loading into a truck became a pain in the arse. Now it gets used weekly. Very easy to use try it without a load get some practice backing.

with towing any trailer you will want to consider a few things.

1) keep your bearings well greased at all times, those little wheels are spinning up to 80% more than your truck wheels. At 70mph those wheels are humming. It is well worth the money to get a set of self greasing caps for the bearings on each wheel. Check the bearings every time you stop for excess heat, it only takes you 5 seconds and if you feel one that is getting very hot, it's time to repack, or replace the bearing.

2) tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure!! those little babies hold 80 to 95 psi make sure you have them full, spinning at those speeds if they are low they will heat up fast!! this is a sure fire way to blow a tire.

3) purchase a spare rim&tire and mount it to the trailer, also have the tools needed to remove the tire. Most Ford lug wrenches fit most trailer tire lugs, but it is good to check it. if it doesn't fit then get a small one to mount to the trailer.

4) last but not least, don't drive like you do without a trailer. Give yourself more room for stopping and changing lanes. Keep highway speeds down below or at 70. During slippy or windy conditions towing a trailer will tend to push you around a lot more.

Bottom Line...
Towing is not difficult, in fact you will be amazed at how easy it is to tow one of those small trailers. The most difficult thing is backing up such a short trailer, due to the short wheelbase they have a very tight turning radius(much faster than the truck). Once you get used to it you'll be backing like a pro.

Good luck on the search for a trailer!!

Back