HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Talking to salesman that I dealt with , he is going to speak with service manager to see if sport housing can have hids from limited wired up and used in that housing. Keep ya posted even though I dont have good feeling or that anything will come.of this, but we will see.
Even if you can, and you likely could, it still has a 'housing' not meant to be used with HID lamps as mentioned in post 95. The only proper way would be to change the housing as well to one designed specifically for HID bulbs.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It comes as a whole assembly, apparently you can't get parts seperate. It can be done by putting the limited housings into the sport. So ya peter is correct.

I think they are listed on the ford oem site where you can find parts. Expensive is my guess. You would still be missing the nice blacked out housings which sucks :/

Ya it can be done just Pita. I bet those housings are 700$+ I asked so we will see

http://www.oemfordpart.com/parts-catalog/ford/explorer/2013/limited/3-5l-v6-gas/electrical/headlamps

Found something little interesting. I would love to compare the differences between projector hid vs halogens.. they look very similar from what I can see
One thing I have found in checking fordparts.com is that Ford often has the same part number for parts that are not exactly the same. One member and his dealer found that out when they ordered and installed the lower front air dam. It turns out the one they installed had the cutout in it and the original did not. Dealer had to reorder and re-install the correct one. Both had the same part number.

Peter

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261163763185?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400642726489?nav=VI

So there are the 2 different housings, the goal would be to change that projector / lens that is.in the limited and swap it with the sport. It looks like it could possibly just be clipped in and we would be able to swap them. You can clearly see the ballast and mounting points are on both housings. Plug n play? see if anyone else can spot any other differences , the lens is def different though

Edit: looking at it closer they look almost identical.. so I dont really know anymore ! Lets see ehat everyone else thinks

Does anyone have access to a housing to see if that lens comes straight out from the back or is it the whole assembly. It looks like it possibly has clips not sure though, but if that were the case wow that would be a simple change and then you have factory hids essentially

No. The projectors can only be removed from the front of the assembly by separating the clear front cover from the backing.
Check You Tube for video on how to...

So did someone do.this to.the sport then and has a vid? Link??

I'm local here in St. Louis, and will be picking up HID kit from http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/2011-2014-ford-explorer-low-beam-hid-conversion-kit.html does anyone have any pros/cons to using them? I have a 2014 Explorer Limited and am going for the "stock" hid look too

Those HYLUX ballasts seem to have good reviews.....make sure you grab the CANBUS version ballasts.

Pretty good pricing too, you going for 4300K to replicate OEM look?

Why does it say Low Beam only though?

Those HYLUX ballasts seem to have good reviews.....make sure you grab the CANBUS version ballasts.

That caught my attention as well since we just have the one bulb.

Peter

I'm not sure why it says low beem, but I went out to the HQ today, really nice place, and extra super cool employees, I would have to say this is a "top notch" company!!!!!! I'll be installing these tonight, I'm a professional photographer, so I will be posting pictures...hopefully later on this evening!!!!

I'm not sure why it says low beem, but I went out to the HQ today, really nice place, and extra super cool employees, I would have to say this is a "top notch" company!!!!!! I'll be installing these tonight, I'm a professional photographer, so I will be posting pictures...hopefully later on this evening!!!!

Great I will be awaiting the photo's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya I would like to see some.good pics of these.. if they look like xenon hids should.then I may go this route.

Back