How To: Replace Multifunction Switch | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch

Thx a lot, this def helped me out.
It was a PITA with the wires on the back of the switch but managed to get it off.
Took about 30min or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thx a lot, this def helped me out.
It was a PITA with the wires on the back of the switch but managed to get it off.
Took about 30min or so.

You're welcome!! :):thumbsup:

Hey I do have 2 corrections while I was doing this, a 9/32 socket was needed for the lower dash panel instead of the 7mm as written.
Also the botton colum u showed a "hidden" screw, its actually suposed to be screwed to the top colum.

I just write 'em up the way my Ex is. :thumbsup:

I just did this with my Mounty since it's acting weird lately, the wiper gets activated everytime the turn signals are on. Replacement part was $60 from rockauto. I think there are differences in some models. It's really a quick job around 30mins or less.

I did not even have to remove the upper shroud completely since there's a rubber cover attached to it that will take some time to take off. Also I did not take out the lower trim panel.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Nice job on the fix. :D:thumbsup:

I have an extra multifunction switch for sale if anyone needs one. Pulled it from a parts explorer.

Just did this to mine as well, the wipers would randomly come on, got mine from rock auto, easy fix and the ghost wiper is gone.

Just did this to mine as well, the wipers would randomly come on, got mine from rock auto, easy fix and the ghost wiper is gone.

Nice job on the fix :biggthump

MFS replacement success!

Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I did this with my son and it worked just as advertised. Only took 1 hour for us novices to complete!

Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I did this with my son and it worked just as advertised. Only took 1 hour for us novices to complete!

Glad I could help out. :thumbsup:

Do I have a bad multifuntion sw?

Hello to all,

Have a question. I've been having issues with my turn signals. Sometimes they blink sometimes they just stay lite. Also sometimes if I depress the hazrd switch it get hard to press it back to the off position. Does this mean that I need to replace my multifuntion switch?

BTW I replaced my ac heater door actuator following your post! Thanks It was very helpfull!
:thumbsup:

Do I have a bad multifuntion sw?

Well the flasher relay fixed my problem. A 10 min fix with a 14.99 flasher relay from autozone!

:thumbsup:

Great Post! I had a right rear tail light out, stop & turn. Bought the multi switch but after opening the steering wheel cover, I found a broken wire on the harness connector. I soldered it back, and still installed the new switch. I sold the used switch on eBay for good money as it was only 2 years old.

Great Post! I had a right rear tail light out, stop & turn. Bought the multi switch but after opening the steering wheel cover, I found a broken wire on the harness connector. I soldered it back, and still installed the new switch. I sold the used switch on eBay for good money as it was only 2 years old.

Thank you. Nice job on the fix. :biggthump

gracias

gracias por tu informacion

Worked like a charm

Thread is old and I couldn't see any pictures but was able to figure out how to replace boot based on the descriptions including the simpler way to remove O/D switch wire. Thanks to all!

MFS replacement

Thanks for the write up and the pics! I hafta do this job today..so this is great timing! Thank you for your service...Fellow vet...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rondo: Thanks for the write-up!

I'll be replacing the MFS very soon (what a purely coincidental acryonym for how I feel about this thing), as it has been acting up lately and was part of the reason my X failed safety inspection this month.

Back