I think I'm more confused | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think I'm more confused

I searched and read and I think I'm more confused than I was before. The higher the backspace number the further towards the inside of the vehicle the wheel is right?

How would a 16"x8" rim with 5" backspacing fit compared to the stock 15"x7" rims?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

briwayjones said:
I searched and read and I think I'm more confused than I was before. The higher the backspace number the further towards the inside of the vehicle the wheel is right?

How would a 16"x8" rim with 5" backspacing fit compared to the stock 15"x7" rims?

BACKSPACE TECH TIPS:
Tips for circle track racers on backspace adjustments:
A quick and easy way to change weight percentages when setting up a race car is to change the wheel backspace. This can move as much as 30 to 50 lbs. (depending on the car) for each 1" change of backspace. You can increase the left side or diagonal weight easily by just changing wheel backspace.

Another trick at the track, when trying to tighten or loosen the car, is to change either the right or left rear wheel backspace. Move either the right or left wheel - "in to tighten" or "out to loosen" the car. This can help compensate for changing track conditions without having to change shocks or springs. This is a quick and easy adjustment and you will see the results right away.

The EFFECTS of BACKSPACE:
A smaller backspace such as 2" (negative offset) will make the track wider.
A larger backspace such as 6" (positive offset) will make the track narrower.
Please note that getting the correct track width for the cars design is usually more important than the positive or negative effects of changing backspace.

A.) The effects of small backspace (negative offset):
1.) Places the weight of the tire and wheel farther outboard, away from the suspension.
a.) Results in increased loads and stresses on wheel bearings, ball joints and control arm bushings.
b.) May also cause steering wheel kickback and increased steering effort, making the car harder to control during turning and cornering.
c.) Creates a greater scrub radius and increased tire scrub and wear as the steering center is way back behind the wheel centerline.

B.) The effects of large backspace (positive offset):
1.) Places the weight of the tire and wheel farther inboard and closer to the suspension.
a.) Too much may cause clearance problems with brake calipers, suspension parts, etc.
b.) Reduces loads and stresses on bearings and ball joints.
c.) Reduces steering effort, making the car easier to turn and corner.
d.) Reduces the scrub radius and reduces tire scrub and wear

briwayjones said:

#1. Simply put yes.
#2. They might rub on turns and actually not sure if a 5" backspace would even work. It would put more tire "under" the truck (toward the middle).

Jones, the backspacing on the stock 7" wheels is 4 5/8". This is measured from the wheel mounting pad to the inside (extreme) edge of the rim.

The difference between the stock and the 5" backspaced wheel is only 3/8 of an inch. That's not much, but that's not to say they won't rub. I'd take a look under the vehicle and do some measuring in two places. First check the clearance between the wheel/tire edge and the upper ball joint. Then turn the wheels to full lock, and eyeball the clearance between the tire tread edge and the fenderwell. (Remember with the 5" backspacing, the tire will be sitting 3/8" closer to the inside of the wheelwell.)

If you have as much as 3/4" clearance in both places, I'd say they'll fit OK. This assumes you'll keep the tire diameter the same.

I also have a 2000, and from just looking, there seems to be a LOT of room under there, so my gut reaction is that they will indeed fit......

Good luck,
ROE

Take a peek at the BackSpacing and Offset thread for some helpful Info and pics.
18205backspacing.jpg

Lots of aftermarket wheels have a 3 3/4" backspacing, but my stock 7" wheels had 4 5/8" backspacing. They were the steel with chrome 'overlay'. The spare was also 4 5/8", and even the Mazda alloys I have on it now are 4 5/8".

I've heard others give their backspacing as 4 1/2", so maybe Ford changed it by 1/8" on some years......

Back