I want to remove the plastic moulding - are there holes in the body? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to remove the plastic moulding - are there holes in the body?

I want to remove the plastic panels from my doors and over my wheel wells on my X.

19844_1286052545115_1044181513_30819457_7802354_n.jpg

What I do not know is if they are attached by drilling holes in the doors or not, if I remove them are there going to be holes in the doors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not too sure but more than likey there will be holes. If not, im sure it aint too pretty underneath. I also have grey plastic mold on mine too that i would like to remove but i know its not gonna look like the rest of my Expo. Im sure it would'nt be to hard to remove it, patch holes if any, and sand the area and repaint to the color of your car. Or you can paint over the molding which will look just as good!

Hole access

Some of the holes are not accessible from the inside. That makes it very difficult to patch them. Welding is the only patching method that will last. I considered removing my fender flares and decided it wasn't worth all of the effort required.

Fill the holes with "touch foam" and let it cure overnight ( needs to be warm)
herc_004_Medium_.jpg

Then sand smooth,

herc_007_Medium_.jpg

tape off a nice line and go over it with herculiner.

herc_010_Medium_.jpg

herc_013_Medium_.jpg

herc_018_Medium_.jpg

those are from Mountaineergreen's sliders thread

here is mine
rockersdone.jpg

Paint over the herculiner if you do not like the black color--
Here is mine after paint and sliders install. The weld tabs in the body pan were also folded up with a hammer before the work began, so it could be covered also.

stupidbracket.jpg

The rear panels on the 2nd gens not only have holes but they have indentions as well in the panels. That would require alof of "patching". Would assume yours might be similar.

Turdle, that looks fantastic!! What type of paint will hold up over Herculiner? I used the Duplicolor generic Herculiner on my side step bars, it looks great but the black is starting to fade a little. Anything special needed to prep or prime when painting over Herc?

The rear panels on the 2nd gens not only have holes but they have indentions as well in the panels. That would require alof of "patching". Would assume yours might be similar.

Turdle, that looks fantastic!! What type of paint will hold up over Herculiner? I used the Duplicolor generic Herculiner on my side step bars, it looks great but the black is starting to fade a little. Anything special needed to prep or prime when painting over Herc?

Heck, idunno. lol Thanks for liking it though

I think it helps the paint to adhere better if the herculiner is still a bit "tacky". I did the paint the very next day. Duplicolor rattle can " storm grey mettallic" and then some professional grade clear out of a harbor freight spray gun.
The clear didn't harden before I hit it with a car wash and needs re done though. It lifted a bit. The grey paint has stuck very well.

Ive got that stupid trim on my 2000 and if I pull it down just a little there is a line that the trim has left in the paint :frustrate so if i take them off ill have a stupid score line in my paint all the way around...:thumbdwn:

Ive got that stupid trim on my 2000 and if I pull it down just a little there is a line that the trim has left in the paint :frustrate so if i take them off ill have a stupid score line in my paint all the way around...:thumbdwn:
Yep, probably something along the lines of this:

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

^^^ exactly like that Scotty. it sucks

Back