Is this '93 Ranger an STX or an XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this '93 Ranger an STX or an XLT?

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
Hey guy, need some help Id'ing my Ranger.
'93 Ranger, 4.0L-OHV, 5spd, 4x4, reg cab

The fender badges say XLT, but:
1.) it has manual windows, mirrors, and locks
2.) no cruise or tilt steering
3.) it has "sporty" true bucket seats, complete with power lumbar and bolster leg support.(but not a power seat) They look more like they belong in a Mustang then a Ranger, but I'm sure their stock. There is also a nice center console, with flip down armrest
4.) It's a 6cyl, stick, 4x4
5.) 3.73-LS 8.8in-RG
6.) 265-75-15 tires, These were kind of big back then. Yes, they are the OE size, it's on the door sticker.
7.) 114"-WB 7ft? bed
8.) chrome bumpers- front/rear , black/drk greyish grill, sliding rear window
9.) No A/C - definitely a factory configuration, There is no evidence of a/c or any components ever being there.
10.) My insurance card says "STX"

I guess it just seems like it has more "sporty" options, but yet too "stripped down" to be an XLT.

Any thoughts? Does anybody know a good way to definitely ID an STX?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If built to order, almost any non-standard combination of options would be possible, so I would not base it on that.

Insurance ID is almost always based on decoding the VIN, so I'd say the factory built it as an STX.

It could have gotten fenders or even a whole front clip from an XLT in a collision repair.

Sounds like a XLT The easiest way to tell is the chrome bumpers on XLT vs. the black bumpers on the STX

XLT
1995.ford.ranger.3645-300x189.jpg

STX
1FTCR11XXPTA36288_1.jpg

I use to have a '96 Ranger XLT it had manual everything, windows,locks,mirriors and no A/C. But chrome bumpers, so my vote is XLT;)

my sister has an xlt with manual everything and no tilt but it is an xlt. does it have carpet? I think if it has carpet it is an xlt. I used to have a single cab stx i think i just remember it was a very basic model, and not an xlt, and it didnt have carpet. carpet in my understanding only came on the xlt's.

my 98 is an xlt and it has a painted bumper. it looks alot like the one on that stx actually.

If built to order, almost any non-standard combination of options would be possible, so I would not base it on that.

Insurance ID is almost always based on decoding the VIN, so I'd say the factory built it as an STX.

It could have gotten fenders or even a whole front clip from an XLT in a collision repair.

When I ran the vin through carfax, it decodes it as an XLT or an STX, so VIN doesn't appear to be a determining factor. It's also possible that the insurance company says the same thing, and the rest of the "STX, or XLT" didn't fit on the card. Trim level also isn't usually encoded in modern VIN numbers, at least for american cars.

Yes, it could have gotten an XLT's fenders, but everything looks original, no evidence of overspray/repaint/etc....

While you are right, in that "odd" combos can be orderd, it's not the '60s anymore. Manufacturer usuually don't let you mess with option packages too much. I.E; if you order an XLT, it's going to get the stuff that comes with the XLT package, or you can't order an XLT.

Thanks for the input. Anybody else?

Wooah, everybody else must have replied while I was typing my last response.
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Stic-o, so you're saying that all STX's had painted bumpers? If that's the case, then that is what I was looking for: a determing factor, an option that would ONLY come on one of the trim levels.

As for the XLT/manual everything: I just thought that XLT signified a "higher" trim level, that would include power stuff. Hmmm. So what exactly was the XLT "package" then? Was it just the chrome bumpers, and carpeting (as others have suggested, and which mine has)?

EDIT: Also, while I have chrome bumpers, the grill has NO chrome at all. The bumpers are the ONLY chrome anywhere on the truck. The XLT in Stic-O's pic has chrome trim around the grill. ???????? Also, no FORD oval in my grill. It is embossed with "4X4" in the lower left corner.

Also, mine has the fender flares shown in the STX pic, same grey color.

xlts can have painted bumpers. Mine has no chrome any where. My sisters which is also an xlt has chrome bumpers but not a chrome grill.

The STX normally has the painted grill and bumpers,decal stripes on the sides of the body and STX sticker on rear of box and more often than not,driving lights under the front bumper.

What most everyone said. Most likely an XLT.

I've got a '95 XLT 4.0L with chrome bumpers, manual trans, manual t-case, manual hubs, manual windows, manual locks, manual mirrors, power lumbar seats (but manual slide) with A/C & cruise though.

CarGuy, my truck is very similar. 93 reg cab longbed, XLT 4x4, 4.0, 5-speed, came with 3.73 and 265/75/15s, but I have AC, PW and PL, a 60/40 bench seat, (had) chrome bumpers, sliding window.

I have a 20 page Ford showroom brochure for 1995 Rangers that I'm looking at. Granted it's 2 years newer, but it lists the STX Group as "speed control and leather wrapped tilt steering wheel, sport cast aluminum wheels, 235/75/15 tires, and fog lamps."

In the equipment chart, it has 2 XL models (base and Sport) 2 XLT models (864A and 867A) and 2 STX models (865A and 868A). The chart lists all options and whether they were standard, optional, or not able to be deleted from the equipment package.

Here is the things listed as not deletable for BOTH STX models: sport cloth bucket seats w/floor console, cruise, tilt, and leather wrapped steering wheel, fog lights.

Don't know that will help or cause more confusion. :p:

Also, about insurance cards, I also have a 90 F250. It's a standard cab, but insurance says it's a Supercab, even though I've told them otherwise. :dunno:

CarGuy, my truck is very similar. 93 reg cab longbed, XLT 4x4, 4.0, 5-speed, came with 3.73 and 265/75/15s, but I have AC, PW and PL, a 60/40 bench seat, (had) chrome bumpers, sliding window.

I have a 20 page Ford showroom brochure for 1995 Rangers that I'm looking at. Granted it's 2 years newer, but it lists the STX Group as "speed control and leather wrapped tilt steering wheel, sport cast aluminum wheels, 235/75/15 tires, and fog lamps."

In the equipment chart, it has 2 XL models (base and Sport) 2 XLT models (864A and 867A) and 2 STX models (865A and 868A). The chart lists all options and whether they were standard, optional, or not able to be deleted from the equipment package.

Here is the things listed as not deletable for BOTH STX models: sport cloth bucket seats w/floor console, cruise, tilt, and leather wrapped steering wheel, fog lights.

Don't know that will help or cause more confusion. :p:

Also, about insurance cards, I also have a 90 F250. It's a standard cab, but insurance says it's a Supercab, even though I've told them otherwise. :dunno:

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I DON"T have fog lights, cruise, tilt, or a leather steering wheel, so I guess it CAN'T be an STX.

I'm gonna say that everybody is right, and it's probably an XLT.

I am still curious though, what does the brochure say, as far as what the XLT option gets you? Is there any option that is unique to the XLT and can't be deleted?

I have a 20 page Ford showroom brochure for 1995 Rangers that I'm looking at.

...Hmmm...:scratch:...Where do you keep this at???...I would love to get my hands on one of those...:shifty_ey:

EDIT: Also, while I have chrome bumpers, the grill has NO chrome at all. The bumpers are the ONLY chrome anywhere on the truck. The XLT in Stic-O's pic has chrome trim around the grill. ???????? Also, no FORD oval in my grill. It is embossed with "4X4" in the lower left corner.

Also, mine has the fender flares shown in the STX pic, same grey color.
The XLT in Stico's pic is a 2WD. The 4WDs came with the grey grill you have, although mine has the "4x4" in the upper corner.
Also, all 4WD Rangers came with those grey fender flares, not just STXs.

I am still curious though, what does the brochure say, as far as what the XLT option gets you? Is there any option that is unique to the XLT and can't be deleted?

When I got mine, I thought the XLT package was the seats, P/W P/M and P/L.
This brochure says it's "chrome rear bumper, tape stripe, 235/75/15s (4x4 w/V-6 only), sliding rear window, and 3.0 engine (4x4 only). Obviously, the tires and engine could be bumped up a size, like yours and mine.

The only things I see that could not be deleted in either model of XLT were the sliding rear window, and power steering (!). Obviously, neither are unique to the XLT.

If someone could figure out the difference between the two models, 864A and 867A, I'd like to know.

...Hmmm...:scratch:...Where do you keep this at???...I would love to get my hands on one of those...:shifty_ey:

Haha, just today, I was going though all my boxes of crap that I keep in the backyard underneath an upside-down bedliner :rolleyes:
with the intent to see what I can toss, and I ALMOST tossed that brochure!

There's still the saleman's worksheet stuck in there, with all his numbers and prices!

I got it when I was thinking of buying a brand new Ranger, but they had a nice 2 year old one that I ended up with. ;)

I also have the page I tore out of the Autotrader that they had the ad for my truck, with pic and description. I'm not weird. :p:

You want that brochure, Ted, it's yours! :thumbsup:

If someone could figure out the difference between the two models, 864A and 867A, I'd like to know.

Those are RPO (Regular Production Order) codes:

____ - Sport Preferred Equipment Package - $829
861A - XL Preferred Equipment Package - No Charge
864A - XLT Preferred Equipment Package - $435
865A - STX Preferred Equipment Package - $1278
867A - XLT Luxury Preferred Equipment Package - $1947
868A - STX Luxury Preferred Equipment Package - $2419

...I will make good use of that brochure...:biggthump

...I will work on posting it up on here to share with others too...Good reference material like that is hard to find...

...I wanted to add, on my 4wd XL 2.3L model it has manual windows, locks, manual 4wd, no cruise, 60/40 split bench, no tilt, vinyl floor, trailer light harness, and no sliding rear window so I added that but, it came with factory air and 4.10 gears open on both ends...:D

...The bumpers and trim were originally grey stock with no pin striping like 90ranajo has...:p:
ranger003of2.jpg

pickuplot5003oh3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1993 Ranger brochure in front of me (no tbars, you can't have it!)

It appears that only option that could not be deleted from an STX is "Speed control/tilt steering wheel", so you probably do not have an STX. (And the body stripe decal - but the truck could have been repainted.)

What color is it? There were 3 colors exclusive to the STX.

Chrome bumpers (which could have been changed) were only available on an XLT. As was already mentioned, XLTs came in a wide variety of trim adornment.

Just trying to muddy the waters...

Back