Jefe's SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's SAS

Everyone else has a SAS thread in here, so I figured that instead of being jealous, I'd just start my own :)

I've been planning this for a few months now, and the parts are now starting to collect.

The plan is to buy a TJ D30 front axle to use for sizing and testing purposes, and replace it with a custom HP D44 with a bunch of goodies as the project nears completion.

I will be using Rubicon Express TJ long arms. These are 36" long, and convert the TJ 4 link to a radius arm design. 36" back from the front axle lands the rear mounts right where the torsion bar currently mounts, and the TJ and Ex frame are the same width at that location, so it should make for a great bracket location.

I plan to run 2" remote res. coilovers. I won't decide how much travel they need until I've got the axle temp'd under and see amount of flex, ride height, etc. No point in shoving a 14" travel C/O WAY up into the engine bay if its not going to do me any more good than a 10" or a 12".

I will convert the steering pump and gearbox over to a 1st gen explorer setup. I am hoping that the TJ track bar and steering will work, but will have that custom made if it doesn't.

I'm hoping for about 6" of lift, but may have to settle for more depending on a few things. I'll do a SOA conversion in the rear, along with custom leaves to match front ride height. I will be taking out the 3" BL as one of the first steps.

I plan to start actual work on the project about halfway into April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything I've missed? Good.

Now for the important part. . .Pictures :)

Here's the D30:

3-15_1.jpg

And here it is with new brake calipers (didn't come with any [ok, so it did, but they were off of an old XJ. Worth $40 in core charges though ;) ]):

3-17_1.jpg

More parts should be arriving shortly:

RE order (shipping end of this week): Arms, brake lines, SOA perches
Junkyard (shipped): PS pump, gearbox, pitman arm

Still need to find:
extended rear brake line for 2nd Gen
TJ/XJ/ZJ steering; 4 link and trackbar hardware
Daily Driver :D

Was this the winner of your poll, or just what you really wanted to begin with. I think for you a SAS is the answer, our front ends just don't like those 35's. For me I will not go any larger than 33's.

Good Luck.

Kevin

Sounds like you have it all figured out jefe. I have a pitman arm here if you need it and Ill ship it up to you. Cant wait to wheel with you when you get the project done.

Matt

make sure and measure for those control arms. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but there is not enough "bend in the front of our frame. there is only a coupld inches difference in hight between where the torsion bars mount and where the tire are/where the axle is mounted. you would have to make some serious drop brackets.

I have the steering, from a 95 xj same as your tj axle. email me if you want it.

its just so little :D

But you are sticking a 44 under there anyways at the end.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
its just so little :D

Easy now! Nothing wrong with a D30, especially for someone that is broke!

Looks like a good start Jefe. Are you sure you're going to need the first gen pump though? Robbs seems to be working great with his stock pump.

What is the difference in the XJ and the TJ axle?

xj is HP tj if LP

Originally posted by JoshC
Are you sure you're going to need the first gen pump though? Robbs seems to be working great with his stock pump.

What is the difference in the XJ and the TJ axle?
Better safe than sorry. I've heard of at least one person that was having problems with too much pressure with the rack & pinion PS pump on a SAS ranger. I'd hate to have a problem on the trail. Its not like its a difficult or expensive swap anyway.

JeffSeal's right. The only difference between the 92+ XJ and TJ axles are that the XJ is HP, and the TJ is a *******ized LP (requires special gears). I think the ZJ is also LP :confused: But all that doesn't matter since its not my final axle anyway. I was looking for TJ/XJ/ZJ front ends and it just happens that this was what I found first.

I think I'm gonna have to get a bumper sticker made when I'm done with this: "Now I understand that JEEP thing" :rolleyes: . . . :D

Okay, i knew there was a difference but wasn't sure, thanks.

Are the coil pads on the D30 in the same location, meaning the same distance across the axle, as on the D44? We are worried about that on mine, not being directly under the upper coil buckets.

Aren't you using a D44 for your final axle?

Originally posted by JoshC
Aren't you using a D44 for your final axle?
Yes, It will either be a custom built axle (from Dynatrac or Tri County Gear, etc) or a Rubicon housing if I can get my hands on one.
So the D30 and D44 should be identical.

hey jefe, if you go with a custom axle why not just go with a dana 60? Not sure how much more they are then a custom 44 but might as well look at it so you dont have to worry about ever breaking.

Matt

That would be sweet to have some ruibcons to choose from. If i found one i'd be a buying some parts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been two empy Rubicon housings on Ebay in the past couple weeks. They've gone for $650-700. Now this one shows up, complete with axles:
Dead Link Removed

If only I had the money right now. . .I have a feeling its going to be way up there in 4 more days.

Dannyboy: yeah, but for another $900 you can swap in the Warn conversion kit to get 5x5.5" w/ locking hubs.

RockRanger: D60 up front. . . he he. . that just seems like an overkill to me. Besides, then I'd have to swap out the rear to match. . .;)

Back