Jefe's SAS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's SAS

Everyone else has a SAS thread in here, so I figured that instead of being jealous, I'd just start my own :)

I've been planning this for a few months now, and the parts are now starting to collect.

The plan is to buy a TJ D30 front axle to use for sizing and testing purposes, and replace it with a custom HP D44 with a bunch of goodies as the project nears completion.

I will be using Rubicon Express TJ long arms. These are 36" long, and convert the TJ 4 link to a radius arm design. 36" back from the front axle lands the rear mounts right where the torsion bar currently mounts, and the TJ and Ex frame are the same width at that location, so it should make for a great bracket location.

I plan to run 2" remote res. coilovers. I won't decide how much travel they need until I've got the axle temp'd under and see amount of flex, ride height, etc. No point in shoving a 14" travel C/O WAY up into the engine bay if its not going to do me any more good than a 10" or a 12".

I will convert the steering pump and gearbox over to a 1st gen explorer setup. I am hoping that the TJ track bar and steering will work, but will have that custom made if it doesn't.

I'm hoping for about 6" of lift, but may have to settle for more depending on a few things. I'll do a SOA conversion in the rear, along with custom leaves to match front ride height. I will be taking out the 3" BL as one of the first steps.

I plan to start actual work on the project about halfway into April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I am writing this on a Dell, dude....

I spoke with my Explorer Guru today and he likes your SAS swap. He says the Rubicon front axle is good to go as is! Already comes with a locker and everything.

good job! i cant wait to see the shock set-up.

Hey Jeff, whats been goin on lately? Havent updated in like 2 months now.... Let us all know whats up.

Guess I should update this huh.

Haven't been up to too much since I'm still waiting on money and a good time to do this.

I've finished the control arm brackets, so as soon as the old front end is off I can bolt up the new front end. It hangs down more than I'd like but I couldn't see a way to tuck it up anymore, even if I made a new tranny crossmember. If I can't stand it after I start wheeling I'll just have to make some custom control arms that aren't so dang long. (something like Cory did for Josh's setup)

I'm planning to do the SOA next weekend, and then 4th of July or the weekend after, I'll remove the Body lift and start removing the front end.

Start of Control arm bracket:

5-31_1.jpg

Tacking on brackets:

5-31_4.jpg

Final bracket (top):

6-14_2.jpg

Final bracket (bottom):

6-14_4.jpg

Those are huge! Shouldn't have to worry about one of those suckers breaking! Looks heavy too. Don't think those are a little extreme? Please don't think i'm doging your designs or work cause i'm not. Mine are simple, looks like a "h" with the "l" part of it on the out side of the frame. They seem to be working great and you can't see them from the side of the truck.

Ha, yea you probably should update every once in a while. But those look huge! I don't think you should have any problem with those breaking at all.

They look nice, but you really might want to consider something a bit more subtle. I made the same mistake onmy first radius arm brackets. You want those bad boys tucked up as far as possible.

Its all 1/4" steel. They are huge, and heavy, and hopefully they'll stand up to anything I throw at them. They hang down 3" lower than the t-case skidplate.

There is no way to mount them even an inch higher because of the transmission crossmember, and even if I cut that out and built a new one I'd only be able to tuck them up another 1", maybe 2" if I got really creative. But then I'm messing with the structural integrity of the frame. . and since I already know I'm cutting out the front crossmember, i didn't feel like going there. Like i said before. . if I don't like how low they sit I'll just have to fab up something similar to Josh's with shorter control arms.

Jefe, I think they will work just fine with some good skid plates, can never be too strong:D

Other option is outside the frame rail. I know it seems hard to go higher but I got my radius arms mounted in the same place and they are all the way up to the frame as high as they can go and still move. It just takes some creativity. But the most important thing is what you like and what your big picture for this project is.

Looks like it's coming along great:D Can't wait to see the finished product.

Its all 1/4" steel. They are huge, and heavy, and hopefully they'll stand up to anything I throw at them. They hang down 3" lower than the t-case skidplate.

my spring hangers are 1/4" steel and they hang at least 3" if not more below the frame.
pic of spring hanger

they have not budged or bent yet. i think that you will be fine with
1/4"! keep up the good work.

It has started:

Started the SOA tonight:

Removed axle:

6-27_5.jpg

6-27_4.jpg

Perches welded on:

6-27_7.jpg

6-27_8.jpg

It'll go back together in the morning, along with a temporary excessive TT in the front to make it look alright. . .then the trick will be getting it out of the garage :D

Glad to hear you're under way Jefe. Best of luck to you for the rest of the project! Good call for the reinforcement on the perches:cool:

Looks good so far Jefe.:thumbsup: Lets keep it rollin....

Back