Los Coyotes | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Los Coyotes

Looks like bad news all around. My wife called the Res. and they said it was closed. The winds changed directions and blew the fire right through the middle of the place.

Now for my big question.

Where do you all want to go insted of Los Coyotes?

If Big Bear is open you want to go there? Post back on your ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Los Coyotes May Be Open Tomorrow But...

I just called and the woman said she didn't know if the trails will be closed tomorrow or not. She said she will go and find out and for me to call back in an hour. So I'll call about 3:30 and see what she says.

So, hopefully they will open tomorrow. :)
I'll let you know.

I also asked about rain. I don't know about where all of you guys are but down here in San Diego/La Jolla area it rained most of the morning and early afternoon. She said it looked like it was going to rain but never did.

-Mark

CLOSED

Los Coyotes will be closed all weekend. :mad: :mad:

Too bad!

Well what the Hell!!

:mad: I wanna go play damm't, Now what? Big bear or theres Azusa canyon? (more like mud play) :banghead:

Damn!! I just finished wrenching on my truck since i got home from work. I got the cooling prob fixed and the trac bar prob ironed out as well.
Looks like you get your way for next weekend Bill...lol.

I'm up for next weekend up at Los Coyotes if everyone else is.

YEAH I GUESS!

So next weekend it is. Maybe it's a good thing and more can come!:D Give's me time to finish doin some stuff to the truck.

Jeez man, I'm losing my mind here...I forgot I have a B-day party to go to next Sat.
Looks like i'll be catching the next trip:mad:

Originally posted by DB_1
Looks like you get your way for next weekend Bill...lol.
I'm not saying I can or can't go next weekend, I don't know yet.:confused:

Well, I am still going this weekend. Guess it will just be a Big Bear run. If anyone wants to join let me know and we can meet up somewhere. So far its just Cory and I going up. We will most likely take the back way from pioneer town (yucca valley). We plan on making a full day of it. Leaving the Marine base around 6:30am or so. We are praying for rain as we have yet to get our trucks muddy.:p

Let me know if anyone wants to join us.

Big Bear is kind of far from San Diego to make a one day trip of it so I'll pass on this one. Have fun.

I'm not sure if I can make it to Los Coyotes next Saturday. This weekend would have been perfect. Oh well...

LOL, what an adventure!!!!!

Well, here's the story...me and TDG were too lazy to recheck this thread before we left on Saturday morning, so we were up early and on the road. Got to Carls Jr. at 715am and waited for Stick-o. We waited till 745, while we gassed up and grabbed our Famous Star meals for the day at Carls. We decided to get the hell up there and that Stick-o had bailed.

As directed above, I hopped on the 15 south and then proceeded to hit up the 79. Evidently, there are 2 79 exits off the 15. Thus, me and TDG drove all the freakin way up into Idylwild, before saying WTF and asking directions at some sort of emotionally traumatized kids home. They directed us back down through a buncha whack-ass towns before finally reaching the REAL 79. We got here, then proceeded to cruise up the road towards Warner Springs. Once we started to get close, we suddenly saw a bigass helicopter rise out from behind a hill adjacent to the road and soar right over us! He was carrying a bamby bucket filled with water. Treking on further we lloked through a clearing on the side of the highway to see a large group of helicopters on the ground near a lake, with one actually hovering over the lake, filling its payload. When we looked the other way, North-East, we could see a trail of helicopters headed to a fire. This was definitely a bad sign to us. Getting closer to town only brought more and more and more water trucks, semis with bulldozers, and a myriad of other fire vehicles. I was beginning to wonder what the deal was.

Arriving in town, we found San Ignacio Road and turned up it. A few hundred feet up, we came across a plywood sign that had spraypainted words saying "closed to camping". I said sheeit and we kept driving. I little ways further, we saw a big work crew on one side of the road with a buncha fire trucks and equipment and two older firemen or marshals or something on the opposite side. Upon questioning about the offrading situation, we were told that it was sorta safe, but they really didn't want anybodyback there, just in case the wind changed and it could burn back again. Soooo, we turnd around and went back to think and chill in the golf course parking lot. We did scope some hotties walking around for the country club, and also we spotted a couple groups of hottie firewomen. Anyways, as I was eating another burger and TDG was messin with his camera, a black 84' Jeep drives by on the highway. Upon seeing us and my rig, he stopped completely, then backed up. TDG walked up to the dudes rig and I followed. The dude asked if we were goin to Los Coyotes. We informed him that it was closed of 4x4in, and that nobody was gettin back there. He then said, shoot blahblah blah, then hit us up if we wanted to go offroading out in Anza Borrego. I wasn't too sure about this one, as it sounded a bit hardcore, but we said, **** we're up for it!! Didn't want to drive 3 hours one way for nuthin.

Sooo, me and TDG hopped back in and followed this dude Ray up to the S2 and down to Borrego Springs. Ray was totally haluing balls in his Jeep down the long grade. Whatever. We gassed up in Borrego Springs, got slightly more acquainted, then got back on the road. We finally got to the trail. It was all the way at the South end of the big Valley. Let me take this oppurtunity to say that it was definitely hotter than hell out there...my guess was about 105 F. We drove down some ****ty graded sand and dirt roads for a while, then finally got to a place with a few rocks that i didn't want to fly over, so I threw on the hubs and popped the muchine into 4x4 L. We crawled over these rocks, getting SLIGHTLY off camber, then proceeded. You see, before I went on this trip, I now consider what I was and all the wheeling I did PANSY-ASS. This was pretty dang hardcore crap for me. What I thought was off-camber before, was definitely NOT off camber. What I thought was extreme riskage of endoing, was NOT. What I thought was high risk of body damage was NOT a risk at all.

Anyways, we eventually got to our first small obstacle, a tiny rock waterfall. We cruised down this with not to much of a problem. It was a good thing fot that, because that began to prime me for the rest of the obstacles lying ahead, wating to scare the hell outta my body or stealthily bash my pumkins.

The next feat we encountered Ray called the BIG SQUEEZE. This obstacle was quite exhilerating, with a high risk of body damage. I first watched Ray cruise through with not too much of a problem, but then Again, he was on 35's, fully locked, double low t-case, granny gear, etc. Afterwards, I hopped back in my truck, then pulled up to the Squeeze, watching Ray for spotting directions. He was an experienced wheeler, so it made it a lot easier to trust my rig's body to him. When going through, i thought for sure that i was going to totally screw up everything. When about halfway through, the left side of my truck, which was already damn close to one of the two rock walls I was trying to go through, dropped down towards the wall. I just closed my eyes and listended for carnage. But alas, I didn't hear anything except for the settling of my springs. I opened my eyes and leaned out the window and looked down. There was only 3 inches between my nice door and that roack wall!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I was kind of on the edge of freaking out and being calm, but I remained calm, and accepted that my truck was going to get totally Phucked, and after this it was going to be a trail rig:eek: Ray told me to turn my wheels to the right slightly, and creep forward just a bit. This manuever lifted my left side up a little and away from the wall, but as I continued forward, my right side became very close. I knew that I was getting damn close on the right side when emy mirror folded in automatically from being pushed in by the rock wall. Creeping forward, I slid out of the Squeeze, dropped off the last ledge, and escaped this one with out any damage. Getting out of my rig, stepping in the sand and hearin the claps and gettin the pats on the back made it all worthwhile. We all hopped back into the trucks and headed off down the trail, inching closer to the long, steep waterfall, the feared obstacle lying ahead.

Thats all until next time, I gotta go, I'll finish the trail report latah. C ya!!! (and post a bunch of kick ass pics!!)

Thats so funny!

Rule #1 always check back before you leave!

Well Josh it sounds like you had a good time at least. I didn't bail on ya honest, and I even thought about you. Thinkin I never saw him post I hope he's not waiting for me at Carl's at 7 in the morning!

Me I was pissed that there was not gonna be 4 bying in my future for satuday. So I told my wife lets go to vegas right now. Then we could find a place cheap enough to stay at last min. Turned better I never left though. My wife dog died saturday mornig. We had left her to stay with her parrent after we got married a few months ago.
Kinda a sad day. She was only 2.

So when the next trip?:rolleyes:

OMG Josh, you are a freakin GREAT writer! I was LMAO reading your writeup! I can't wait to hear the rest!

Man, what a crazy trip you had Josh...sorry you turned on the wrong hwy 79....I had no idea about that, I was just going of my road atlas when I gave you directions.

Next trip out, exchanging phone numbers would work out better if theres any question the trip might not happen. I for one don't check the board everyday so its easy to miss a lot of the posts.

Well Felix, a buddy of his and myself ended up going to Big Bear on Sat. It was a total last minute deal so it wasnt worth posting. We tried to find some moderate trails around the Crab Flats and Big Pine flat campground areas. Found a couple nice easy going trails
and I took Felix by Holcolmb creek trail...maybe we'll run it next time huh Felix? lol. On our way home, we stopped in town to gas up and one of the locals said that theres now a bridge at Deep Creek...that should be interesting.

So Bill, are you fixing your existing drive shaft or getting a new one made? It would be nice to have your old one fixed as a spare if you have a new one made especially if you go on trips like the Rubicon...kinda scary to go all that way and not have a spare.

Haha, sweet. OK, well I'm at work now, but I will finish the writeup / extend my lunchbreak while doing so in a few hours:D

Stick-O, sorry bout the dog...sounds like a country song:)

DB_1-np bout the directions man, I hadn't been up to Idyllwild in a while ya know?:p

RangerX-:chug:

Josh, wow man you ever thought about being a wrighter. :D It sounds like you had a heck of a time out there.

DB_1 sure we will do Holcomb creek next time. I will get in your truck and we will drive right thru it. :cool: Being serious now. I had a really good time and learned much about my rig. Like I need to put my bump stops on, and take extra bolts of about every size with you.

Well, lunch time is about over time to eat and get back to work. Talk to you all laters.

Well, if you guys want to hit up Big Bear Area in about a month, Rebel4x4 is heading up there the weekend after we get back from our Baja Mountain Trail Run Trip. This should be about the 16-17 of August. There is a big Jeep convention up there that weekend and everyone is camping out in the Snow Valley Ski Resort pkng lot. There's gonna be a folk band or something, a crapload of rigs, and a whole lotta wheelin'. Check out the "upcoming runs" section of rebel4x4.net (in my sig). If it aint posted yet, I'll have it up by tonight.:)

And now, for the final chapter of the Pinyon Mountain Trail Writeup...(there ain't much left:( )

OK, so where we left off, we had just squeezed through the squeeze. After previewing some of the pics and vid clips on the trail, we decided to get on our way once more. On our way to the long waterfall, we only came a couple more obstacles. After about a half mile of cruising, we came to a junction, and beared right. Just up the trail was a short uphill rock garden that seemed like it was going to put up a fight to let us (well, me and TDG) pass. As I watched our leader climb through, he stopped and backed up to pick a different line. Now, this was not a good sign in my mind, as this thing could take on a whole lot without begin phased, but still had to retry this one. I figured I might be screwed, but pulled up to the boulders after Ray passed through. When I got close, Ray shouted out, "stay to the right as much as you can because this big rock might bash out your window..." Oh yes, yet another good sign.:bounce: I have a pic of this too, but need to get it from TDG first. I said OK, and pulled forward, trying to ease my way over these basketball and beack ball size boulders. I couldn't go slow enough with my stock t-case and even 4.56 gear ratios. Man, I'm gonna get an ATLAS!! ANyways, I sorta had to burn the **** outta the clutch(you could smell it like hell afterwards) and bounced like **** over these rocks. Signalling me to stop, Ray walked alongside my rig and warned me to go real slow because of the high potential for body carnage. I said OK and was about to proceed when one of Rays friends walked over holding a piece of safety glass he had found on the ground nearby. Hey, yet ANOTHER good sign right? Jesus. So, I wasn't gonna back down like a woman, so I gave it soma the good stuff while Ray gave my body(my truck's) a shove on the left side to try to keep the glass off the rocks. I made it through the steep rock garden, then stopped after I got back in the dirt. Everyone was quiet till I stopped, then said stuff along the lines of, "Holy Crap dude you came so freakin close to bashing out your window!!" Ray gave my truck a push when I pulled through, but the truck was too heavy, and the left side dipped down and ended up bringing the drivers rear window within 1/2" of the rock.............:eek: :eek: That was yet another intensely intense moment. So, I said wow and we moved on.

We hit a couple more things on the way, but nuthin worth talking about.(that means I can't remember). Finally our small convoy came to the bigass downhill thingy. We walked up to it, looked down, and I said damn thats intense. I walked down it, but was too lazy to go down all the way, so I just chilled up top while Ray let a bit of air outta his tires (he has a very badass OBA setup for afterwards). We finally decided that I would go first in case it got real tenacious and Ray had to hook up the winch cable to prevent endoing. Now I have been through some steep downhills before, but nuthing as long as this. I have lifted rear tires b4, but none on such a steep hill, that you can't just let off the brakes and haulass down to recover from da endoage. Anyways, I did about a 56 point turn to try to get lined up to the trail, then gave up and went around this circle thingy, that ended taking about 12 points more to get around. Anyways, this pissed me off quite thouroughly, but whatever. I inched up to the downslope and Ray and his buddies guided me left or right. About a car length down, the trail leveled out just a bit, but there was a bigold hole in the left front tires spot. Someone had piled some rocks in it, but it was still crazy. As I inched down, everything was cool...THEN my front drivers tire began to lower into the hole. I thought it was steep before, but then I felt myself go into this hole and it was pretty extreme. Listening to the spotters, I continued to inch down...then, the fear I had been fearing became real...My back passenger tire lifted up. The spotters remained calm, but I found out later that when that happened, they looked at each other and said oh **** quietly so I couldn't hear. When my back tire lifted up, I didn't know if it was going to stop and hover, but it did...finally. The spotters said afterwards that it was around 2 feet off the ground, which feels like a helluva lot more when youre already staring at the ground. So, Ray told me to move forward and keep comin down and a little to the right. I did this, and once again just like the squeeze, my tire went up a rock and brought everything back to zen. The rest of the way down wasn't too bad, and with Casper the spotter from Denmark's help, I made it down safe and sound. LOL, when you see the picture, guess who's avatar I tried to copy?!:D Check it out....

Ray came down right after me, then rolled up it and back down it. This was also a cool sight to see.

On the way out, we encountered a couple more little tough sections, but we all made it through without harm. We sorta got a little lost on the way out, but finally after about an hour of cruising down sand washes and spotting some sweet rock formations created by wind and water erosion, we found our way to the paved road. Ray aired up his tires with his handy setup, then we caravanned up to Warner Springs, gassed up, scoped some more hot fire babes, then partede our seperate ways. This was definitely the coolest wheeling trip I've ever been on.

Attachments

• diffwhackmommy.jpg
    diffwhackmommy.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 137

Here's a shot of my comin through Da Squeeze. whoo that was a rush.;) Oh and also a nice shot of Ray's muscular back;)

Attachments

• dsc01131.jpg
    dsc01131.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 149

LOL, that was Heart Attack Hill you went down. There is a video clip of Diffwhackdaddy hanging his rear tire in the air for about 30 seconds until he finally let off the brake:D His tire was WAY up in the air though!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here it is:D

Attachments

• heartattack.jpeg
    heartattack.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 137

Back