How to: - Lower your explorer (pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Lower your explorer (pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
blk> Again TT and YES after a TT you need an alignment.

TT = Torsion Twist.....search on it, 5000 threads about it =D

Great write up! Not a fan either of lowered trucks period, but looks good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With major mods could you lower the front and keep the tors bars at optimal rate if i have to i will rip the girl apart i want it low and fast and able to handle the curves

2004 Lower and handles alot better

I have a 2004 Sport trac on 20s and was looking all over for a lowering kit. I saw the X-spec kit but wanted to go a little lower. After many calls and alot of searching I found another rout I picked up 2-3"lowering torsion keys from AIM INDUSTRIES they are like $40. for the pair. They also have lifting keys same price. I also picked up 2" blocks new U bolts, and toxic lowering shocks. I De arched my leaf springs 2"s used the 2" blocks and had the 4" rear 2" front drop I was looking for and it cost under $250. for all the parts. If I wanted I could have went lower I had lots of adjustment left in the torsion keys and could have used larger blocks. The Ride I get now you wouldnt think its the same truck. I have not put in an anti sway bar but I have no more body roll at all. It handles turns at higher speeds with ease. I have been looking into maybe bagging it now becouse I think they look awesome tuckin 22"s but I dont want to lose great handling I have now since its a daily driver. Anyway just wanted to share another less expensive way to lower the Explorer and Sport Trac.
Hittin Hard Tim

What parts will I need to do this? Could I get some part numbers and a list of all the neccessary tools etc etc. I have a 1999 XLT 4dr. Do you think I should bother lowering it with stock rims? Or am I begging to look retarted?

Reply to the question above...You will need a lift/lowering block kit, a jack, jack stands, a socket wrench set, and a couple hours. The block kit can be bought at your local autozone, or something like that, for about $30. Other than that, I asume you have the rest.

Another thing, hydroxy said that you would need deep sockets, ones like 2 or 3 inches long, so that the nut can twist on to the extra length of the U-bolt. This is not necessary if you buy the 3" block kit. I had the 3" kit on my X, but my bump stops kept hitting my axle, and it drove me crazy. I just finished switching my 3" kit for a 2" kit. There is deffinately more body lean that with the 3" kit, but it rides a whole lot better with the 2" kit. No more slamming my bump stops into the axle.

two questions....where did you get the blocks and can you have a shop twist the torsion bars for you? to lower the front i have a 98 sport with 4wd and i wanna lower it some b4 i add bigger wheels

thinking of lowering my '94 xplorer

Hi everyone :)
I'm new to the site but i've already found a couple of really good and helpful posts from experienced guys.I own my 2 door 94 explorer for about two odd years,it's 4x4 and 5 speed manual.I just had replaced the front shocks a few days ago by myself.Honestly,i'm none of a mechanic at all,but i'd love to gain some experience at this point,and that's what made me register in here.I'm looking to find out as much as i can about my truck so i could possibly be able to do some repairs by myself.
Currenlty i am thinking of lowering down the suspention and i had read the post by Hydroxy which i really like.Just like someone in here,i'm wondering how to lower down the front because i've been at a couple of speed shops and noone was able to find any lowering kit for the FRONT end.I noticed that you're talking about some TT, torsion twist,something like there's supposed to be 5000 threads or so.Please excuse my dumb question,what kind of a procedure is that?Would anyone,please,tell me where them torsion bars are?Would the person be able to get it done by themselves?What do i have to do and what kind of tools do i need?Any response is greatly appreciated:)

Hi everyone :)
I'm new to the site but i've already found a couple of really good and helpful posts from experienced guys.I own my 2 door 94 explorer for about two odd years,it's 4x4 and 5 speed manual.I just had replaced the front shocks a few days ago by myself.Honestly,i'm none of a mechanic at all,but i'd love to gain some experience at this point,and that's what made me register in here.I'm looking to find out as much as i can about my truck so i could possibly be able to do some repairs by myself.
Currenlty i am thinking of lowering down the suspention and i had read the post by Hydroxy which i really like.Just like someone in here,i'm wondering how to lower down the front because i've been at a couple of speed shops and noone was able to find any lowering kit for the FRONT end.I noticed that you're talking about some TT, torsion twist,something like there's supposed to be 5000 threads or so.Please excuse my dumb question,what kind of a procedure is that?Would anyone,please,tell me where them torsion bars are?Would the person be able to get it done by themselves?What do i have to do and what kind of tools do i need?Any response is greatly appreciated:)

You don't have torsion bars. Hydroxy has a 2nd generation ex that has the torsion bars.

Why do you want to lower your 4x4 anyways? It's just gonna cause more trouble than it's worth with your joints, bearings, and such...

Here comes my first reply at the site:) Thanks very much,explorer4x493! Yeah,i understand what you're saying.That's why i'm here,to get some advice from experienced guys.I was just thinking to myself : yes?no?maybe? but since you're saying it's not really worth bothering,so i won't.Actually,a couple folks told me about the same thing :)
Is your truck similar to mine at all or is it different?Which year is it?Just curious

Here comes my first reply at the site:) Thanks very much,explorer4x493! Yeah,i understand what you're saying.That's why i'm here,to get some advice from experienced guys.I was just thinking to myself : yes?no?maybe? but since you're saying it's not really worth bothering,so i won't.Actually,a couple folks told me about the same thing :)
Is your truck similar to mine at all or is it different?Which year is it?Just curious

There's links in my signature. Ford changed the body style in 95 and then again in 2002 except for the "sport". Yes all explorers are "alike" in a way just a little different looking...

i got a 96 x and i wanna lower it i was wondering in detail how u go about lowering it with the torsion bars??? i dont understand on the flipping keys part

i got a 96 x and i wanna lower it i was wondering in detail how u go about lowering it with the torsion bars??? i dont understand on the flipping keys part

Here you go

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142973&highlight=torsion+key+flip

also, you NEED to get camber adjusters--2 sets of these, and an alignment.

When the front is lowered, the front wheels will look like this from front / \

The camber adjusters bring the top of wheel back out---

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908331+4294924677+4294907830+115&autoview=sku

so how long did it take u to do it? and do u switch your driver side to your passenger side

so how long did it take u to do it? and do u switch your driver side to your passenger side

It will take about 4 hours front and rear-first time. I recommend at least 1 helper--
I could probably do it in 2 now--with a friend to help.
Just pay close attention to the instructions---no side to side swap involved.
You are merely flipping the keys over-which indexes them differently.
Make sure to notch the keys as done in the thread, and have the adjuster bolts in-just enough to snug them to the keys.

k thanx man just one more thing, what is the biggest rim size and best to go with it

That all depends on the wheel tire combo you want.
Personally, because this is a truck, 17 inch wheels are the harsh ride limit for me.
I recommend searching thru the sport truck picture gallery, and looking at different trucks. You should be able to find all about each truck, if you click thru the links in each users signature

This is very informative, I'm 1 who will prob'ly be lowering not raising my 1st gen. Limited Edition.........will use this info for sure......do you use the same method to do the front end on a 1st gen.?

great write up, this was exactly what i was looking for
Did i miss the part where you said to get the blocks, i dunno...Thanks

great write up, this was exactly what i was looking for
Did i miss the part where you said to get the blocks, i dunno...Thanks

I bought them second hand on the forum... Blocks are blocks - goto advance auto parts and buy whatever size you want.

Btw - I wrote this up a couple years ago and now it has like 10,000+ views... I didn't think *that* many people would be interested in lowering their explorer's =).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly beating a dead horse?

If you can do a 2" TT shakle lift without mush stress to the front cv joints, would a 2" drop cuase as much if any stress on them? and with the blocks work ok with the mono leaf springs? Yes i know lowering a 4x4 seams dumb, but the car lot didn't have a 2wd.

Back