Mild performance modifications? (Long) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mild performance modifications? (Long)

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Thanks Rick, Dave, Brian, Jeff, Flyguy, and everyone for the welcome.
The prospect of installing a mini-reactor in trucks has received many hours of deliberation. The holdup seems to be the EPA. They are willing to accept it in theory but don't
understand the need for adding a throttle override breaker in case more power is desired for passing a stroked 5.0 Muskrat. Of course there is also the small matter of cost...
A more viable option is for us contact Bugs. He may be able to borrow the Space Modulator from the Martian for retrofit onto a stock 4.0. ;-)
Your input about mild performance modifications on a 93
four door 4x4 XLT w/83K is desired. Our other Exp is a 91 four door 4x4 EB with 164K. Mods should probably be delayed on that one until time for a rebuild.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
1) Cat back systems, preferrably stainless, which do not reasonate too loudly. Are any available as duals that allow the spare to remain underneath or are singles adequate, especially for offroad use? Which muffler?
The goal is mild power increase with no reduction in gas mileage.
2) True-Rev Induction intake vs removing restrictions in the stock exhaust?
Will use of the KKM allow increased particulates to enter the engine with detrimental results? They were unwilling to answer per telcon. At work we put filter paper under another gauze filter on a truck carb and there was noticable contamination visible after one month. Will a foam filter wrap increase filtration?
3) Are you aware of measurements and/or pics available for a spare tire carrier or a front winch mount? Welding and fabrication are not an issue, even if the bumper requires modification.
4) Suspension lift (2-1/2" - 3") or dual shocks?
Better control and increased clearance are desired with
minimal drivetrain modification.
5) Replacement tires... 235/75R15 or 30x9.5x15?
My choices are: Uniroyal Laredo AWT, Tiger Paw and AT;
Or Michelin LTX M/S and A/T.
A set of five Uniroyal AWT's via a friends shop will be 419 vs 629 for the Michelins.
It's storming so I've got to shut down.
Thanks, Bob

Bob,

May be easier to get answers to your 5 questions if you break them up and put in their respective catagories on the board. That said, heres some opinions:

Mild lift - I have the Rancho 2 1/2" lift, running 31" tires. Its not cheap, but it is complete with everything you need, and the parts, fit and instructions were very good. It has extended rad arms which contribute to the great ride(I think it rides better now than stock). No probs with alignment afterward either. If you want to run a 31 or so tire I would recommend it.

Cat back I have a Borla and I like it, its a bit louder than stock at Idle, with a decent sound not too tinny(sp). its a single, dont think the 4.0 really needs duals, and they can be a pain with the undermount spare.

Dont know about plans for a tire rack, but it is on my list. So if you find some pass them along.

Michlins are great tires, dont have those particular models but I have Michelins on another vehicle and cant say anything bad about then. BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, and Michelin are all brands of Michelin I believe with Michelin being the premium and BFG the bottom, Uniroyal in the middle.

Back