MOAB EXPLORER EXTRAVAGANZA 2001 | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MOAB EXPLORER EXTRAVAGANZA 2001

I'm getting in Weds night. Rick gave me his cell # for if I make it in time for dinner. If not, I'll see you at the market at 8-ish on Thursday. That's when and where Rick said to meet. Who's running stocker runs on Thursday?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, Jen (ExplorAuthorityGal) and I (in 2 stock Sports) won't be there until Thursday afternoon - probably not in time for a run. But a leisurely evening drive on one of the "easy" trails, perhaps to take in a sunset, sounds like fun...

By the way - who here has done Lion's Back? Can a stock vehicle make it with no problems? If so, I just might try it!

You could do it in a subaru....trust me...I've seen it.

Originally posted by mmpc

By the way - who here has done Lion's Back? Can a stock vehicle make it with no problems? If so, I just might try it!

the only thing I can think of that could cause a problem for you would be there is a dip near the top. And the departure angle at the first part. Other then that it's not really will your vehicle handle it but are you daring enough for it :). I've done it, it was sure an adrenaline pumper :).

I'm not gonna try it. All I need is for my rear wheels to both slip at full lock and there I go! Gives new meaning to SPLAT!

Up on top of Lion's Back is a "hot tub" hole right in the middle that you will have to circle around if you go up that far (most people turn before then after that first smaller hot tub dip that Matt was talking about). It's scary enough staying in the middle without having to veer off. My tires were ON THE EDGE going around that hole. A more built rig might chance going into it. It had water in it when I was up there and I was alone and did not like the idea of getting stuck in it, so I went around it.

And Alec, your tires do not slip on Moab slickrock. It's like riding on 180 grit sandpaper. You asked about Thursday easy runs. I plan on taking the Arches easy runs Thursday since I want my boy to see those sights.

Sweet! If you don't mind me tagging along on Thursday, Gerald, doing some Arches runs then would mean I will get to do all three stocker trips. Since I'm doing the 3D trails Fri and Sat, I didn't think I'd get to do Arches. Cool!:cool:

So how many people have slipped off Lion's back? And how many 2wds have done it?:rolleyes: Don't y'all go getting ideas into my head!!!

Originally posted by Kampy

Also, a question for you guys, I just spoke to a friend from ABQ that wants to meet me there, Haven't seen him for about three years, but we used to wheel together every weekend. Anyway he want's to drive up and run with us on saturday if he can get the time off work, only thing is he's got a Jeep, if it's a problem let me know and he and I can go our own way on saturday. He's been there several times and knows the area fairly well.

i don't have a problem with a jeeper, kampy...hehe..i have gotten put back on my wheels by one...so now i have to respect them at least a little bit...hehe

Originally posted by Alec
So how many people have slipped off Lion's back? And how many 2wds have done it?:rolleyes: Don't y'all go getting ideas into my head!!!

I only know of two vehicles that have slipped off. One was some drunk teenagers that didn't realize you had to turn around at the top and come back down so they went too far and went over the edge... both died. The other was the one seen many times on "Worlds scariest videos" where the girl lost her brakes coming down... she was able to keep it on the road for the most part and both she and her husband survived with not much injury.

Also, if anyone wants to see what its like at the top but doesn't want to drive up, I'd be willing to take some folks up (Hix took me up as passenger last year so I'm willing to pass on the favor to other people) :). THe only requirement is keep your eye on the tire marks on your side... the golden rule to lions back is follow the tire marks and you'll be fine :).

I can't wait for Moab!

Lion's Back

Well Matt, I'm happy that people can offer to help keep you in the tire tracks. :)

My problem was that no one would ride with me to help. While going up, I couldn't see a d@m# thing because it was like being on a roller coaster when the chain catches you and you sit back in the seat and are raised up loooking into nothing but sky. It's easy for those who haven't been there to say "just follow the tire tracks" but I couldn't see them. I was sitting in my Explorer at a severe positive angle looking up to nothing but sky, knowing that to veer a few degrees or so either way would kill me. Or that any mechanical breakdown that I had no control over would do the same. And ask those who were there about what you cannot plan on..... it started raining while I was up there. I did Lion's Back wet. Who's next?

That is one adventure I'll not repeat this year. I did it, got the t-shirt, and won't do it again. Game over.

Ray Hutchison wanted to run Lion's Back right after me but his wife Debby talked him out of it. The very next run, they sheared their centerbolt on their left rear leafspring and the axle careened back into the rear bumper. If Ray had run Lion's Back he'd be dead now.

This is an obstacle that can be conquered by any of our Explorers. It is a technically simple run that any stocker can do provided the driver can negotiate precise maneuvers. The Moab slickrock traction makes it possible for any of us to do it. What makes it world-famous is the fact that the slightest mistake doesn't result in body damage on the vehicle, but death to the driver.

I don't think it is worth betting my life again to run that obstacle simply for bragging rights. Instead I'm gonna enjoy my time with my son Exploring the rest of southeastern Utah this year.

Yup, I'll probably go home saying,
"Been there, and I can do it, I'm just not crazy."

Better safe than stupid, right?

Re: Lion's Back

Originally posted by GJarrett

What makes it world-famous is the fact that the slightest mistake doesn't result in body damage on the vehicle, but death to the driver.

Matt....you.....me......Let's go for it. I've been thinking of giving this a go(just in your truck). I'm game if you are. :)

i know..im wierd....

...maybe ill crawl down it on my hands and knees...just to say i did it....hehe

Gerald's post certainly gives new insight to Lion's Back! Honestly, I hadn't thought much about the trip up - was more worried about coming down. I think that's changed now! Still, I'd love to do it, but will wait until I'm actually standing there looking at it before I stick my foot in my mouth... ;)

Lion's back is no more risky than driving any of the mountain pass trails in colorado...death and carnage can happen anywhere. To me it's just another fun spot to play. I'm more afraid of Potato Salad Hill than anywhere else in Moab. If you want to talk about a place where bad stuff happens....that's it.

Chris, yeah, I've never read anywhere else about what you specifically "do" when doing Lion's Back. Every writing I've read by those who have done it simply mentions - yeah I "did" Lion's Back - without explaining what really goes on during the "do" of doing it. And I forgot to mention in my previous post that the wind is about 40 mph up on top too. Just more fun thrown in if it starts raining.

I'll repeat again that from a technical rockcrawling standpoint it is an easy ride. If you have sufficient approach angle to climb the initial hill on the "rump" of the lion you are on your way. The difference is that the room for error in negotiating it further up is fatal.

If you want to do it, I've said before that I've been skydiving and the adrenaline rush you get from this run is more than skydiving. You'll be fine, BUT.... make sure EVERY part of your Explorer is in tiptop shape. You have an advantage since you have a new lease vehicle in good condition. You don't want brakes or center pin bolts or other items going south on you while up there. And don't do what I did and go up while it is sprinkling. :rolleyes:

Find someone to go with you so when you make that turn up top you have a second set of eyes to let you know how far you can back up during your multi-point turn. Doing that "blind" is no fun.

And I'll agree with HIX while disagreeing with him. It is true that Potato Salad Hill is much more dangerous from the standpoint that screwing up is definately more likely on it. Anyone trying it needs to realize a rollover is very possible. But you'll survive a rollover on PSH. The outcome is debatable if you do it on Lion's Back.

I do agree that if something goes wrong on Lion's Back it'll go wrong in a bad way! But I have only seen something go wrong there once. A guy was driving up a broke his Rear driveshaft. It presented a problem in how to fix it but his brakes worked just fine. I personally tried to drive up it in 4Lo and almost slid off...until I realized that I hadn't locked in my front hubs. :rolleyes:

I have seen 4 rollovers on PSH and more close calls than I can count. If you want to see crazy stuff you have to be there during EJS. I saw a guy in F/S bronco on 38s get all the way up to the top only to break his front driveshaft. He slid sideways and bounced, and I do mean BOUNCED :bounce: , down the hill sideways w/o out rolling over....now THAT was cool!

If it was me I wouldn't run Lions Back. I might walk up but definately wouldn't drive up.

I read a trail report somewhere (I think it was rockcrawler.com or maybe off-road.com) and they went up the back side of Lions Back. Talk about a hair raising experience The author said that it was not a trip that he wanted to make again!!

Gerald, if I'd have been there I'd have ridden up with you :). I had Jay Shimeck riding with me. He is an excellent spotter... probably about 100x better then Iw as for Hix, LOL.

Anyways, yeah it can be scary, yes if you mess something up you could die. Yes, make sure your life insurance dues are paid :).
There have ben many times in my life where I've been able to say "dang if this had happened or if this hadn't happened, I'd be dead now" and I don't think you can go through life saying "well if this happens..." or "if this doesn't happen..." because you'll end up not enjoying anythign and not taking any risks. Now you have a son, that's a little different, he needs a dad and if you get killed for bragging rights, yes thats a proble,, I think its for more then bragging rights though, its so you can live your life adventurously. I too have skydived before and found that to be an incredible rush, I wanted to go again but then I went over the weight limit so I couldn't go again until I lost some weight, but by then I realized how much it would cost to keep up as a hobby and to go solo (no weight limit) would end up costing several thousand just to get licensed, then a fair amount more everytime I jumped, plus all the equipment. Said I'll find other ways of seeking thrills.

So in summary, don't do Lions Back or any other trail for that matter for bragging rights. Don't do it to impress your friends, or to prove that you can... do it because you want to. And if you don't want to, then don't do it (do I sound like an afterschool special yet?) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, my brother is still trying to get his Explorer running right but swears he will make it. He hasn't had a chance to go shopping for a CB. Can someone bring a portable for him to use?

Back