MountaineerGreen's Sliders | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MountaineerGreen's Sliders

I have to vote for the free 2x4 as well..

here's what mine look like, i think they look really good (and provide the function I needed)
DSC00216.JPG

DSC00210.JPG

As you can see, unlike your's I have no rocker pannels anymore :D

If you do want a round bar type, I do know a really good fabricator who I can reffer you too. You tell him what you want, he'll make it. But i'm not going to pimp anyone's wares here unless you pm me :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to vote for the free 2x4 as well..

here's what mine look like, i think they look really good (and provide the function I needed)

I like the way they look on your first gen, the more square front end complements them.

As you can see, unlike your's I have no rocker pannels anymore :D

What I think I am going to do is notch my pinch weld where the outriggers need to go under the body. This is all theoretical, since I don't have any sliders yet.

Notching the pinch weld isn't a bad idea to keep thge sliders up close to the body :)

Didja notice my rhymin skills...mc cp in the hizzy LOL (very white ain't I)

DSC00207.JPG

DSC00209.JPG

Can't take all the credit on these....Taxxman over here helped a ton!

If you want another angle let me know, the expo is in the garage getting an sas so it's pretty open at the moment :D

CP- I don't have to have a picture, but how "deep" in are your main beams of your sliders in relation to the former location of your pinch weld?

EDIT- I like how those look, you make me lean towards the free steel.

Pinch weld in relation to the slider correct? I'll go out and take a quick measurement/pic.

Around 1.75-2"s out from the original pinch weld.

DSC00429.JPG

Wow, thanks. I figured they were right up against it or very close. I may just give that free steel a whirl. When I saw jefe's sticking way out, I wasn't crazy about it- but yours look much better. Do they work well for steps?

Honestly with my being 6'4"s tall and my truck only having a spacer/aal lift in that pic I never needed them that much. But yes, you can use them as steps, just not a full one. I went out and opened the door, put my foot on them and they provide about 3/4's of my foot being supported. Mine are up so far though that it's only a inch or two more and i'm in. You're will be probably around 4"s lower (the difference between keeping the rockers, and replacing them with sliders). I'd say give it a try, goto a skateboard shop and buy some non skid tape they use on their decks and i'd say it'd work...but that's just a guess :)

Once I get my full width axle in i'm going to extend them out a couple inches more using tube :D

Mine are 2"x4" with 2" pieces to the frame. They work great! But yeah it looks beter without them...Taller:D

93aascd.jpg

5537scd.jpg

1542scd.jpg

and you can kinda see them in this picture..

Mounting.jpg

Ive about decided to bite the bullet, go buy a chop saw and make em up. I was going to ebay a saw, but they really bring some $$ even used!

I was thinking about using the 2x4 to make my outriggers since I have the materials already. I have 1/4" plate left from a previous job for my frame plates.

I can also get this stuff free if anyone wants it. Let me know i have pieces 1"x12"x6'.
Thanks -- ill keep this in mind when I build my sliders. :D

Stic-o, from the looks of things, you waited a little too late to make those sliders. :p:

Actually, built them, and was too lazy to put them on before a T-haven trip, thinking.....It's mostly soft dirt, no real rocks..I'll be fine. And then with them sitting in the garage...Crunch! as I raced up a hill and came down hard on a ledge.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine as pictured above are 2x2 .25" wall tubing. However it didnt sick out far enough to protect the body. It just protected the rocker. Then I added a 1.5" tube to it to help protect the body. I hvae droped off 4 ft drops in moab strait on the slider and it is still perfect. I use the tubes to pivot off of and so far so good.

Attachments

• mattmoab.jpg
    mattmoab.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,198

Back