Muuhuhahahaha! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muuhuhahahaha!

Getting started....

Had to measure the installed height of the stock valve springs. For the record, 1.840

DSC04818.JPG

Stock retainers and push rods are out.
DSC04819.JPG

Stock timing chain is off

DSC04820.JPG

Stock lifters out

DSC04822.JPG

Stock Cam coming out
DSC04821.JPG

No this is not a pic from the latest hustler...
DSC04823.JPG

Cam went in, new thrust bearing on, new Elgin double roller timing chain on.
DSC04824.JPG

Stock oil pump
DSC04825.JPG

New Melling M68
DSC04826.JPG

New Comp Cams lifters in
DSC04827.JPG

New lifter guides and push rods in
DSC04828.JPG

New Ford Racing Valve springs, Comp Cams retainers and locks
DSC04829.JPG

Little trick, fill your cylinders with nylon rope to keep the valves from falling into the bore while changing valve springs.
DSC04830.JPG

Difference between stock and new
DSC04831.JPG

Another trick, use the valve spring compressor to break the seal between the inner retainer and the locks. Sorry for the blurry pic.
DSC04832.JPG

One side done, this is not a fast process.
DSC04833.JPG

Started to put the roller rockers on.
DSC04834.JPG

That is all for tonight, two of the valve retainers from Comp Cams were the wrong ones. I don't know how it happened, two in the pack of 16 were wrong. I have to make a trip to Jegs in the morning to swap them out. Tomorrow will be finishing the springs, finishing the rockers, oil pan and a few odds and ends, then to the track with the stang for the last track night that I'll be able to make this year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet dude, great work so far.

Lookin good Chris. How far off is the swap you think?

Hopefully, I'll get this done tomorrow, then start pulling the old motor Sunday.

Damn... you getting it tuned after you put it in? whered you decide to go?

Still undecided, I'd like to do one of the forum sponsors but I don't feel like spending $200 on a wide band so I'll probably go to dyno-tune performance here in town.

Y' know-
I have a wideband--once I use it, it will be on the shelf until I need it again-

At the rate Jon's going you would probably be ready for it before him:p: James has offered to rent wide bands on here before it he has an extra one lying around, you might check with him too.

Delays, delays, delays...

Ugh!

When I called Jegs for the retainer issue, they had no more in stock so I had to wait until yesterday morning to get them swapped out. Finished the top end rebuild yesterday. Today, hopefully button up the motor. Put the oil pan on, put the timing cover, water pump etc on. Put the upper intake and valve covers on.

I got most of it done last night. All I have to do is set the lower intake and torque it. Then a few other button up issues and the real pain that I'm not looking forward to. Setting the distributor...

c'mon now get it done :D

Stainless allen head oil pan bolts.

DSC04905.JPG

Allen heads all around.
DSC04906.JPG

It's getting there.
DSC04907.JPG

Stainless allen head oil pan bolts.

DSC04905.jpg

Allen heads all around.
DSC04906.jpg

It's getting there.
DSC04907.jpg

akk, you still gotta drop it in the explorer. Quick before my finals come up and it gets too cold.

Back