My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll look into that, thanks!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, since I already had the tabs cut and drilled I went ahead and used them. Needed the welding practice anyway. Here they are, unpainted, ugly welds (please ignore those) and all. Now just have to paint the tabs,and mount the lights.

IMG_20200105_133341011.jpg

IMG_20200105_133329433.jpg

Painted with lights installed

IMG_20200105_140904750_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200105_140912097_HDR.jpg

Got the fogs wired up (they were easy, just plugged them into the factory fog wiring). Now gotta do the fender mounted lights.

IMG_20200105_152104412_HDR.jpg

Got LED bulbs mounted in my KC HiLite (type) cans. However I also painted the grill guard and the cans. So until I can remount everything I can't test them at night to see how bright they are. Til then...

IMG_20200118_140656383_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200118_140651621_HDR.jpg

New lights...

IMG_20200124_165333421_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200124_201726695.jpg

IMG_20200124_205202359.jpg

Okay this is just weird. After the truck today getting measurements for a plate mounted to the grille guard brackets to act as a skid plate. When I discovered something very strange, my sway bar end links are missing. Not broken, missing, both of them. If I had been working on it and I'd failed to put them back in I would have seen them lying on the carport and remembered to put them in. I would have seen them when I was putting my tools away or something.

I have no idea what happened to them. I'll have to make another set.

LoL could be. It's not that it's an expensive or difficult part to replace, it's just weird. Even if it were theft (which I doubt), who steals endlinks and leaves the lights, the wheels, etc...?

Gremlins in Arizona. I was just looking at end links on Amazon etc, to see if any shows specs, the sleeve length etc. None really do, some show overall length, but I need to know grommet diameter at the least. I had to mix parts when installing my 1.5" front bar, using the Addco hardware, plus an EE end link kit, and a couple of other brand parts.

You guys need longer end links than stock, so you should know the hassle of dealing with online advertising(lack of information). I had to call EE the last time to order the kit, to be sure I got their large diameter bushings. I think that's still the best way to get the most parts you need for the one job. I know you guys make them using very large all rod etc, I hope that remains the cheapest and strongest way to go.

Yea, that's exactly what went missing. The extended all rod ones. I need to go to Lowe's for the all rod and nylon lock nuts, tubing, etc. Then to O'Reilly's for the bushings. Then measure and cut etc...

Those will be great in normal operation, but they aren't made for any side forces. The rods are not as strong as a bolt, any odd side force(or object) can break the rod, and then the parts can fall apart. I'd see if there is a strong bolt in the size you want, even if you hunt that later. I'd remake them again, and when you like the results, find a strong big bolt. The sway bar should be parallel with the LCA if possible, to keep forces in line with the end links.

Well, because I have the Expedition the Explorer sits a lot. So when I opened the hood today to check fluids etc. I find... Droppings. 👅 Any suggestions about how to rid and protect from rodents?

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_161043097_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200314_161043097_HDR.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 163

You need to drive it often enough to keep animals from climbing on it. It takes many days for the normal smells etc, to dissipate enough that rodents etc, will be interested in it. Just normal driving keeps almost everything off a vehicle. But how often is a tougher question. I'd guess one good warm up engine cycle and a few miles drive, every 1-2 weeks.

If you can't drive it, then you're stuck with things like moth balls etc, which quit working in a couple of months, and have a limited effective range. I say drive it a short drive once a week.

I suppose that is the best thing to do. Maybe alternate the expedition and Explorer every week. It's just a pain to get the Explorer out of the back yard. Open the gate, drive through, stop, shut the gate, drive off.... LoL yea... My laziness is showing..

That and a solar charge led under hood light. Rodents won't nest where it's light . I keep the car's hoods open in the garage with an led shop light hanging .

Hmmm... I like the light idea... 🤔

leave your hood open
Rodents wont go under there if its open to the outside

Well, rodent problem solved, I just placed a section of 4x4 under the hood so it doesn't close completely. It lets in just enough light.

Other news, I just ordered new body lift blocks, and bolts. I ordered 3" blocks but will have to trim them down a bit. I'm going to flip/reverse the brackets that hold the grill guard in place. That will raise it about 2 1/8" so thats how far the body lift will have to be if I plan on keeping the grill guard. I'll keep you posted.
Knowing my luck I'll get called back into work on the same day the parts arrive. LoL

I also plan on putting on an older style Explorer Bumper (A steel one with no foglights in it). That should help with approach angles some, and help clean up the appearance somewhat, at least til I can afford a nice winch style bumper.

Back