My Jurrasic Explorer build thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Jurrasic Explorer build thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, me too!

Its not necessarily the time so much as its having the place. Money helps.. but a lot can be done on the cheap. I'm lucky in that I have a decent garage to work in. Later this year my friend and I will be building a 40'X80' shop on his farm. Most of mine and his projects will be done there. We work together a lot on this stuff.

True, I lack both!!! Ha, I get a lot done on gravel at my place.

Subscribing.

True, I lack both!!! Ha, I get a lot done on gravel at my place.

Been there.. my place is not big enough but it does the job. I'm really happy to have the space I have.

A little update, no pics but I will grab some tomorrow. I pulled the engine and trans today. I never tried to pull them together so I did it today and I don't recommend it. I even had everything removed from the engine bay, everything... If not for my forklift, this would have been a real b***h!

On the plus side, this ex is so rust free, the bolts holding the down pipes to the manifolds came out easily with hand tools. Even the fuel tank skid plate still retains its shiny black factory finish. I still can't get over how clean this thing is. It makes a project like this so much easier.

On the plus side said:
I think I'd rather deal with the dry rotting of rubber and plastic over rust as I chase rust issues with my rig. It's awesome you have such a clean rig to work on in this way!!

I'm subscribing as well!!

Didn't do a whole lot tonight, but I did get lucky. I cleaned up the engine and found a tag on the block.. My $300, rust free find, has a new engine as of Feb 04. It's a Ford reman engine. Something done at the dealer I'm sure. It has a Ford part number and a serial number on the tag. The heads are stamped with the same date.

This makes me feel better about the 224000 miles on the odometer. This engine may have less than 100k on it.

I'm still going to do compression check and check it out, but I don't think I'll be resealing it like I planned to. That will save some time and money.

Some before and after shots..

IMG_20160801_191948094_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160801_182913629_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160801_220207093_HDR.jpg

Today, was installing a rear axle in my brother's 94 XLT. After 268k it was ready to be retired.

As far as JP, it's on the trailer ready to head to the shop to be separated from its frame for its final pressure wash. I have disassembled it down to the absolute bare shell with enough for it to roll. Once I get everything clean, the frame will get a coat of POR15, and the body set back on it for now.

Then it will be time to start the body work. I have some hail damage to fix, there is a crease in the wheel arch on the pass side that i will have to pull out, and the normal door dings. From the previous vehicle i have a hood, fenders and a rear door to replace the damaged rear pass door, that is creased to match the damage on the body.
I'm getting excited to see progress and will be posting pics here soon!

Tonight after work I finished up the steam cleaning of the whole truck in order to start painting. Tomorrow I will be picking up the materials and hopefully I'll get a coat on the frame so I can mount the body back to it.

Once I get it home I'll start on the body work. I'm aiming to have paint on the body by the 1st of November.

Having the wash bay at work is such a nice luxury. Having tons of equipment available ain't to bad either. It made this job so much easier and doable by myself.

IMG_20160819_191248705.jpg

IMG_20160819_192002153.jpg

IMG_20160819_192659673.jpg

Getting there... Watching paint dry now. It's taking longer because it's raining today. Never a good thing when wanting paint to dry fast.

Finished up cleaning the frame this morning, got some rustoleum primer and put a few coats on where there is bare metal and surface rust. I wish I could powder coat this but I don't have the money for that.

How she sits now:

IMG_20160820_103555282_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160820_151557249.jpg

As it sits tonight.. I'll be able to mount the body tomorrow. I'll have to pull out the core support, it kinda got forked while unloading the trailer. I bent it back at the bottom about 4 inches.

IMG_20160820_205045011.jpg

This is a very interesting idea. I am impressed! I will watch with interest the implementation of this project . Refer perhaps some ideas arise in my mind. Good luck!

This is a very interesting idea. I am impressed! I will watch with interest the implementation of this project . Refer perhaps some ideas arise in my mind. Good luck!

Thanks! I have been wanting to do this project for a long time. I will be posting as I go and trying to record the tools and costs along with it, so others that come behind me may have an idea of what it will take if they do something similar.

So.. today I mounted the body back to its frame. JP is up on the trailer and waiting for me to clean out the garage so i can start fixing dents. I may have paint on this before my goal. We'll see what happens.

I'm now at the exact point that I was with the previous vehicle, in the first attempt with this project. Feels good to get this far, this is kind of a personal accomplishment for me.

But enough talking, more pics!

IMG_20160821_115153879_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160821_115315448_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160821_122757511.jpg

2016082195141615.jpg

So far I have about $150 in paint and supplies for the frame. I bought a harbor freight stud welder for $115, and I got my body filler, body glaze and other supplies for about $250. I bought bulk DA sand paper in 100, 180, and 320 grits, mixing boards, paddles and other supplies on Amazon. I sourced 80 grit flapper wheels on eBay for grinding paint and giving a good base for the filler.

Project as a whole, I have about $1000 in this plus the purchase of the two parts vehicles I bought nearly 4 years ago. I think it was $1500 for both of them. Then I ordered about $800 in body panels if I remember correctly. That brings it to about $3300 and about 60 man-hours with this vehicle, not including the previous truck.

This week im gonna concentrate on cleaning the garage out and fixing my buddy's golf cart. I need to make some room! Hopefully next weekend will be the start of the body work portion of this build. I have lots of trim holes to weld up in the rockers and the new fenders. This body will require very little work to be ready for paint.

I may change out the tailgate as it got damaged while pulling the truck from the weeds. There are waves from a large dent created when the trailer ball of his F150 mashed the tailgate. Most of it pushed out but it will take time to fix it correctly and I think the one on the other Explorer is still good.

From here on i will keep better track of the costs and time involved for those interested in the numbers.

Also, here is some inspiration for yea!

13413073_10101862306210661_1377247597881988116_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great project! (lazy Sub)

Back