Need some opinions.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some opinions....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yukon gears and install kits for front and rear for $449 to your door. Add $140 if you have reverse cut D35 gears, which you don't.

so i wouldnt need ANYTHING else to complete the 4.10 gear process besides getting them put on, correct mr froader sir?

With a 4.0 you would be better off with 4.56 as opposed to 4.10 for running 33" tires.

Check what ratio you have before you go ordering your gears.
I'ts possible you have 4.10 gears now.

whats a stock 96 4x4 limited come with normally?

Check on your door sticker.

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

Check on your door sticker.

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

i will check tommorrow froader keep an eye on this thread :p:

ok my explorer shows to have "D4" where it says "axel" on the door. So im assuming it has 3.73 gears in it...so im still needing the 4.10 ?

With a V6 & 33" tires you are going to want a 4.56 gear ratio.

If you had a V8 4.10 would be O.K.

With a V6 & 33" tires you are going to want a 4.56 gear ratio.

If you had a V8 4.10 would be O.K.

is there a cost difference between the 4.10 and the 4.56...if i still had the 4.10 and the Jet Performance Moduel would that work??

The 4.56 gears will cost a litle more but no huge price difference.

I would double check with the guy that siad he would install them for $100
The rear is not too hard but the front is. To do the front set you have to completely remove the fromt differential for the Explorer.

This means removing the hub bearing assemblies, steering knuckles,axle shafts, & sway bar links on both sides.

As far as the Jet goes I have heard that they are a waste of money as Explorers are concerned.

Search the Under The Hood Forum for info on chips & tuners.

well i bought the 33" bf a/t today and about to have a mechanic up at my dealership swap the wheels from the 31"...I guess im gonna have get those gears pretty soon then...the 4.56 that is...

$100 for a ring and pinion install front and rear is not realistic, something is getting lost in translation here, typically its $400-800 per axle depending on the work being performed

I agree that 4.56 would be optimum choice with a v6 and 33's

$100 for a ring and pinion install front and rear is not realistic, something is getting lost in translation here, typically its $400-800 per axle depending on the work being performed

I agree that 4.56 would be optimum choice with a v6 and 33's

ya he didnt realize that he would be doing the front AND back...i work at a dodge dealership so i get the hook up on after hour labor cost ;)

if he does gears and hes looking at a 4x4 he should have explained this to you :)

well i got my 33" BF A/t on just now and it looks good :D ill have to get some pics up...they got them on and they didnt rub, but it was , less than 1/4" of space. So i had them trim a little just to have a little more room to flex. I guess now im gonna have to scratch up some money for the gears :confused: and i just received my Jet Performance Moduel tonight so im gonna slap that on tomorrow and hopefully see some good results

Back