New explorer sport member, older model | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New explorer sport member, older model

BRBsport

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer sport
Hello all,

I have a 2001 explorer sport that after bouncing around for 17 years is starting to get some wear and tear. I have a few issues that I need help figuring out but my BRB is still trucking on well considering.

I have some sort of exhaust leak that started giving me issues when climbing highway mountains, I got a cylinder 2 misfire (same exact code every time) but later found if I gave it more gas and it shifted down it’s fine as long as it stayed above 2500rpm. As of last night it has gotten bad enough to give me the misfire code just driving on slight hills or overpasses so it’s significantly worsening and I can hear the rattle and exhaust leak from just having the driver door open and revving but it’s hard to pick up the sound on my phone. I have looked at other forums stating the manifold gasket is a major problem but if I drive along a wall, I can hear ticking and a rattle coming from what looks like where my header ends and there is a black heat shield around it. I have taken it to a shop and they told me I have no leak. Is it possible for this portion of my exhaust to have such a leak to give me a cylinder 2 misfire? I pass smog every year with no issue and passed while it did this in California with strict smog just a month ago.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help. Again I have a few issues but this one is my most important at the moment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant see an exhaust leak cause a misfire, however if you have a leak in the exhaust, it is dangerous as you may know (carbon monoxxide). When was the last spark plug and wires changed/?
How man miles?

I cant see an exhaust leak cause a misfire, however if you have a leak in the exhaust, it is dangerous as you may know (carbon monoxxide). When was the last spark plug and wires changed/?
How man miles?

I currently have 160k, this started at about 150k
I changed spark plugs, rotor, distribution cap about 10k miles ago or a year and a half ago. I throw no other codes besides p0302 (cylinder 2 misfire)

I’m not 100% on it being the exhaust by itself but now that’s it’s gotten worse, so has the exhaust leak sound with rattle.

I'm with ^black sport, I don't think an exhaust leak would cause your code (although its certainly something you want to fix).

How did you change the rotor and distributor cap? Our trucks don't have those.

I would pull the plug from cyl #2 to see if it gives you any clues. Do you remember what kind of plug you put in? Ford DIS system is really harsh on regular copper or single platinum plugs and it could have easily worn out in 10k miles.

You could also try swapping one spark plug wire (on both ends, obviously) to ensure the wire is OK. Next would be a compression test.

Rattle on acceleration could be a ping due to a weak fuel injector. Cylinder 2 is the middle one on the passenger side, you might try a new spark plug in that cylinder , take a picture of the old one and post it here.

I'm with ^black sport, I don't think an exhaust leak would cause your code (although its certainly something you want to fix).

How did you change the rotor and distributor cap? Our trucks don't have those.

I would pull the plug from cyl #2 to see if it gives you any clues. Do you remember what kind of plug you put in? Ford DIS system is really harsh on regular copper or single platinum plugs and it could have easily worn out in 10k miles.

You could also try swapping one spark plug wire (on both ends, obviously) to ensure the wire is OK. Next would be a compression test.

We had replaced rotor etc on another vehicle at the same time, my husband just advised me it was just the plugs and wires. Sorry.

We are going to try swapping plugs and see if it changes cylinder misfire or see if the plug shows any issue. I’m just concerned it gets worse as my exhaust leak gets worse. My truck is starting to sound like it has no exhaust pipe, it’s definitely louder.

Rattle on acceleration could be a ping due to a weak fuel injector. Cylinder 2 is the middle one on the passenger side, you might try a new spark plug in that cylinder , take a picture of the old one and post it here.

The rattle comes from directly under the front part of the cab and if I rev it I can hear the heat shield vibrating. It’s a tinny sound and comes from what looks like the end of the header. I don’t know for sure if it has anything to do with the misfire but I have noticed the more my truck sounds like someone cut the muffler off the more it misfires. Its als only when going up or down hills and if I give more gas to raise rpms over 2500 it stops and my check engine light stops flashing.

Back