no name B2 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no name B2

B2April2008001.jpg

B2April2008002.jpg

B2April2008003.jpg

B2April2008005.jpg

B2April2008004.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

B2April2008002.jpg

B2April2008023.jpg

heres a shot of my old b2 i just sold to a clubmate
B2April2008027.jpg

both seats mounted
Broncoshots014.jpg

i picked up another 5 point for the pass side but don't like the way it mounts, so i am in need of another one again.

took some shots of the front susp. heres the LF at ride height
Broncoshots013.jpg

heres the Front diff at ride height, i was concerned about clearance of the diff to engine cross member
Broncoshots007.jpg

heres the diff as stuffed as i can get it in my yard,
Broncoshots017.jpg

heres the fender to tire at flex, the tire just fits inside the fender without rubbing to bad
Broncoshots018.jpg

heres the droop on the RF
Broncoshots016.jpg

all pics were taken at the same time without moving the truck, i would like to get a chance to run up on an RTI ramp or similar to max test the flex. Haven't gotten the chance to do that yet.

* sidenote, Dad bought a rig this weekend as well

heres the old man himself, i grew up riding around with him in his 78 f150 and his 84 Bronco bouncying down trails and flying around the dunes. Then when my parents split he sold his toys around 1992 and really hadn't had anything to play off road with since. Looks like now he'll atleast be going back to the dunes this year.
Broncoshots001.jpg

Broncoshots002.jpg

Broncoshots003.jpg

Broncoshots004.jpg

Broncoshots005.jpg

Broncoshots006.jpg

The 302 is does not look orig at all, and has a heavy oil leak from the back of engine, looks like valve cover and intake. Has a 2 barrel on it. Runs strong and the C4(?) shifts strong. Has had extensive floor pan work and core support work. Doesn't look horrible, but def could have done a better job (the metal work that is) Interior is nice, Cage is ok, not reimpressed with the work but for what dad will do with it, it'll be good enough. I drove it and it felt a little unstable as far as steering, but thats to be expected. Has manual brakes and drum all the way around. This will be the first thing we'll address as far as mods go. Power Brakes and Discs up front. It has good power and was fun to drive around. Not sure on lift though, clears 35s with no rub. The top was a little rusty, thats getting removed and hes having it cleaned and repainted. He likes it, it'll be at my house getting some electrical love and some new gaskets. All in all not bad at all for $5500:woot:

oh got some stuff done......just about ready for the Badlands May 2nd.

Got the cage painted and welded in some more bracing etc....Cage is down for now till after the Badlands. Got the Pass Seat mounted and the 5 point i got from General (thanks Buddy) mounted up. Also mounted my CB to the top of the cage at the cieling.

Heres a shot messing around with Holshotracers Rig
IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

I also worked on my rear and front bumper. You can see in the above pic how wide the bumper was. I took about 5 inches off each side.
IMG_0276.jpg

then a clubmate made me some D-Ring mounts so i got those installed
IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

got two in the front as well
IMG_0277.jpg

Then i had some diamond plat laying around so i added that to the bumper as well
IMG_0281.jpg

Next i'll be getting 2 DOT approved Fire Extingquishers to mount on the cage in the B2 as well.

1c93daea8e24.jpg

my temp. rain shelter/top while were wheeling

44fa15d5e54f.jpg

And on the trailer ready to go, hopefully the tarp stays on while on he highway.......

i did pick up some body damage, heres the worst

IMG_1840.jpg

some other various damage, i had to pry the fender off the door so i could get it open after slamming a tree, lots of rock rash on my diffs and driveshafts. Bent up the rear 8.8 diff cover, but it never broke the seal.

The leafs worked awesome, good flex and had no issues with wheel hop or anything else. I was amazed, i was banging on Purgatory pretty hard and had some nasty noises from the front but everything held and i made it up the line i was climbing. Three days and no real breaks and i drove it back on the trailer at the end of the trip. Thankfully i never had to test the cage. One improvement i could def use is stronger steering though. Steering was pretty weak, struggled there however, but got the job done.

PictureorVideo137.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

Badlands146.jpg

Badlands150.jpg

Badlands207.jpg

Poser
IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Need front shocks, these are to short

I finally got my trans crossmember built so i was able to get the truck mobile again. Needed to check flex to figure out what i could do about fenders and qaurters.

My LF shock is fully extended but i still had another 2 inches before the rear reached the point of putting tire into body (which it can). And the RF tire was into the inner fender support.

b2may18016.jpg

b2may18014.jpg

b2may18005.jpg

b2may18013.jpg

b2may18012.jpg

I pulled the 3" Body Lift out and trimmed my bumper some more

I was flying around the yard and the truck feels so much more stable being 3"s lower.

Hopw long did it take you to remove the 3" BL?
I bet that feels good, body lifts suck, IMO they ruin the ride! I cant wait to ditch the one on my 96 Ex

20 minutes or so..........the b2 has new body mounts and all new hardware from last summer when i built the truck so everything came apart nice and easy

any plans to tie the cage into the frame?

possibly.....kinda waiting to see where i go with the body and how much i hack in the near future. Right now i am glad i didn't tie it into the frame when i built it since i have now removed the body lift.

Are there any DISADVANTAGES to tying the cage into the frame? Other than I imagine it is harder to build that way..

not really harder, the cage now is welded to steel plates that bolt to the floor. When i am ready to tie it to the frame i'll just bolt to the bottom of the floor to the inside steel plates then angle to the frame and bolt. But when that happens i'll most likely illminate the body mounts and hard mount, that way the floor desn't flex seperate of the cage .

Kennysmay25061.jpg

shattered the shaft (Yukon 4340), recovered the ujoint and the crosshafts were undamaged (5-760x). found a ear with the cap still attached and the cap had the c-clip still on it. Call Tuesday for my warranty.

Kennysmay25062.jpg

got to play on an RTI, unfort didn't have a tape measure to see what i scored

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

little shot of us parking on Holshotracers truck
IMG_2247.jpg

little three wheeling
IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

th_MVI_0521.jpg

I love how this thing looks. Purpose built and works great!

thanks, still a few things i want to do with it yet. But pretty happy with how it works for what i have into it.

2008springfling4wheeling032.jpg

DSCI1390.jpg

DSCI1392.jpg

DSCI1428.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

guess i can update

That Sucks about your stuff, I am getting a Low pinion HD D44 (Ford) later this week, getting it pretty cheap, just gonna get it to have for future use. But i am looking for a ford 60, but not "Looking" to really spend anything on it.

well i stuffed my beat to hell fenders back on it, and took it to DAds mud bog yesterday. Did poorly, but after reveiwing the video i noticed that my RF tire was not powered. So i took it apart today and found the RF hub to be bad. Must have broken it at OSTC/Spring Fling, and didn't know it. Why couldn't the LF hub fail instead of breaking my yukon damn it.

IMG_2519.jpg

th_MVI_2518.jpg

Was invited to another local clubs event.......

sundownersrodeo062.jpg

sundownersrodeo063.jpg

sundownersrodeo007.jpg

sundownersrodeo021.jpg

sundownersrodeo023.jpg

heres some vid (9 minutes long)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pJAEkqJXLrA

I won two solid diff covers (Gift Certs) in a raffle they held during the event SCORE!!!!!!! spent $40 in gas towing, $15 entrance fee and won $240 in merchandise. Its awesome, cause i was planing on buying a pair of covers for the B2 and just didn't have the money to spend.

I am thinking i may push my front axle another inch forward from where its at now, my pitman arm is kinda close to my drag link and i could use another inch further forward on my front driveshaft.
f4b5fad59eb9.jpg

one of two i recently won in a raffle

RNAug92008007.jpg

i actually had to take a hammer and chisel to the cover in this area to be able to get at the bolts. The cover was bent over the bolts from draggin across the rocks.

RNAug92008008.jpg

New cover installed

RNAug92008005.jpg

RNAug92008009.jpg

went and got a non-a/c heater box. On the RBV's of this style the only difference in the box's themselves is in the engine compartment. And they interchange completely. The firewall is the same with or without A/C.

Badlands133.jpg

RNAug92008003.jpg

Changed my soft up a little bit, before it was open at the bottom on the sides, and it hung way over on the back. Now it hangs down just far enough on the sides and barely over hangs the back

been wheeling the last few trips with no inner fenders, been making a real mess of my engine compartment. Remedied that today.
RNAug92008014.jpg

RNAug92008013.jpg

newest addtion to the truck, replaced my junk champion 8K winch

went and got a warn m8000

0fe56bb4c97c.jpg

b2d11dc54a18.jpg

he had it on ebay and the bids were up to $223 and it still had 5 days left. I noticed he was out of lansing, mi (50 miles from me). So i sent him a message stating i would come and get it today with cash for $275. He got back with me and said sure. So i went and got it. Seems to work fine. The cable that was on it was junk. But i have a pretty much new cable (the one in the pic). It seems to work fine i spooled the cable onto it and the winch never hesitated and never even felt warm to the touch. Atleast now i know i can get parts for it just about anywhere unlike my old champion.

mounted the solenoid pack, yeah its upside down but it'll have to do for now. Eventually i might relocate it to inside the cab of the truck. Its hard to tell in the pic but the box is mounted flush with the grill, so looking from the side you can't see it.

RNAug132008004.jpg

pics of the before after of the 63" chevy spring swap.......I retained the same lift height before/after

before
RNAug132008001.jpg

RNAug132008002.jpg

after
August192008001.jpg

August192008003.jpg

*the area of the front spring mount where i cut the bolt hole off is welded to the steel plate, you just can't see the weld in the picture. Whats not seen in the pic is the L Bracket on the back side of that steel plate that connects to the bottom of the frame rail and has peices of metal going from the bottom of the plate to the frame ral sideways as a cross brace/bridge.

*those are stock 89 rear 4wd chevy leafs from a 4x4 truck, the only modification to the springs is i cut the over load. The over load is still there its just no wider/longer then the spring perch.

Back