Off-road opinions and thoughts.

Metta

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 4.0 V6 Auto SOHC
Hey,

So I’ve had the explorer over 9 months now and she’s running sweet.

I’ve now decided because where I live has some amazing off road and green lanes and a few of my friends do go out once a week off roading I’m going to turn her into a on road / mainly off roader I have two road cars on the road.

So far what I have done is warrior shackles on the rear (Going to put rancho rear shocks and remove the air suspension)

I’ve also done the torsion twist. As far as anything else goes that’s all I’ve done apart from some 265/75/16 MT tyres. I’m from UK so parts are a bit harder to get unless from America 🇺🇸.

My question is what would your next modifications be for her to get her even more off road ready? I was debating removing the bumpers but they do look a bit crap without them and I don’t have the money right now to do the bumpers and anything else suggested to do. I would also like to know if that I can raise the front and rear suspension any more without a body lift just yet and if so what kit do I need.

Thanks
Arron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

youve gor plenty of options here from mild to wild!!!! imo the biggest bang for buck isna good LS (ford racin carbon fiber clutxh) or a lunchbox oocker (powertrax no slip) for now

later on, you can do a coil conversion (if desired) abd/or go SOA and do the rough country 5" ranger lift, bigger tires etc. all depends on whatyou wanna do. the long since obselete superlift is also aj option

bumper options are also like those made by rockranger here or affordable offroad, very good for proc eimo ive gor a rockranger bumper on mine!!! love it!

if you wanna stay w tt/shackles, pretty much after the locker, it could all be like camping setup or really what you wanna make it! what do you plan to do with it? ive got a wheeler on 31s :D let me know what you plan/want and maybe i can help you get there

youve gor plenty of options here from mild to wild!!!! imo the biggest bang for buck isna good LS (ford racin carbon fiber clutxh) or a lunchbox oocker (powertrax no slip) for now

later on, you can do a coil conversion (if desired) abd/or go SOA and do the rough country 5" ranger lift, bigger tires etc. all depends on whatyou wanna do. the long since obselete superlift is also aj option

bumper options are also like those made by rockranger here or affordable offroad, very good for proc eimo ive gor a rockranger bumper on mine!!! love it!

if you wanna stay w tt/shackles, pretty much after the locker, it could all be like camping setup or really what you wanna make it! what do you plan to do with it? ive got a wheeler on 31s :D let me know what you plan/want and maybe i can help you get there

Thanks for the reply buddy, your help would be amazing as money isn’t massive right now.

Basically wanting to do some green Laneing and some light off roading for now nothing too drastic.

Just need the best way to go really bit by bit.

2" lift, aggressive tires and a rear locking differential will get you a long way.
I do believe Mine has LSD how would you go about the 2’’ lift?

Thanks for the reply buddy, your help would be amazing as money isn’t massive right now.

Basically wanting to do some green Laneing and some light off roading for now nothing too drastic.

Just need the best way to go really bit by bit.
how much lift/tire do you want? imo a good lunchbox locker/LS, 31s, and the TT/shackle 2" lift youve already got will get you further than you will believe.if you dont plan to do nothin too hard, (my understanding of green lane is dirt road, correct?) imo then the 31s tt shackle will get you far! if you want more lift, lemme know and we can fidn somethin for you!

I do believe Mine has LSD how would you go about the 2’’ lift?
great, then either you can refresh the LS (its past its prime probably) with ford racing CF clutches, or add a lunchbox locker, depending on prefrence. youve already got the lift with the tt/shackle!

The torsion twist should give you 2". LSD is not the same as a locking differential. The LSD will let go as soon as you lift a tire. There are several "lunchbox lockers" available for the 8.8. They do not allow much slip when one wheel is off the ground, keeping you moving. They replace the spider gears and clutches inside your carrier.

T LSD is not the same as a locking differential. The LSD will let go as soon as you lift a tire.
right, im personally a lunchbox locker person. but imo LS also has its place though, i mean if you never lift a tire, then imo LS is slightly smoother/better on road. personally, i currently wheel on my stock LS, just leanred to work with it, but going for a no slip soon.

On open differential will stop as soon as you lift a tire. A properly working limited slip would still transfer whatever torque it did when both wheels were on the ground.

I had a No Slip for a few years. It blew up on the Rubicon Trail, but blew locked so I had a spool for the rest of the trip. It was a fun drive home. We had to cut the carrier in half to get it out.

I had a No Slip for a few years. It blew up on the Rubicon Trail, but blew locked so I had a spool for the rest of the trip. It was a fun drive home. We had to cut the carrier in half to get it out.
at least it was locked, not open ;) well, at least for doing the trail

how much lift/tire do you want? imo a good lunchbox locker/LS, 31s, and the TT/shackle 2" lift youve already got will get you further than you will believe.if you dont plan to do nothin too hard, (my understanding of green lane is dirt road, correct?) imo then the 31s tt shackle will get you far! if you want more lift, lemme know and we can fidn somethin for you!

great, then either you can refresh the LS (its past its prime probably) with ford racing CF clutches, or add a lunchbox locker, depending on prefrence. youve already got the lift with the tt/shackle!
B77FA9C0-2720-40E5-BF14-8033DBEC4940.jpeg

This is how she stands with TT and Shackles. Got chunkier tyres going on today. Debating the side steps and toe bar being removed too. I just don’t think it’s high enough on the arches compared to like the dreaded discovery’s.

Nice Gen II.
"Green laneing". I wonder what an American term for that would be?
Did I misspell laneing, laning??

Nice Gen II.
"Green laneing". I wonder what an American term for that would be?
Did I misspell laneing, laning??
Like light off road tracks with some bumps and ruts, she is tidy but found the rear dog leg has corroded away so time to get the welder out.

I see now. I read about it on the internet. Most of the "green lanes" here in the U.S. would be for horses and maybe off road trail bicycles. Other wise the powered trails and non powered trails would be separate. Most trails would tend to be on private property. I may not be totally sure about that but some of you American off roaders could chime in.

Love that color

Agreed with everything said here so far
Rear locker would be next upgrade and biggest tires you can stuff

It’s all about traction

Love that color

Agreed with everything said here so far
Rear locker would be next upgrade and biggest tires you can stuff

It’s all about traction
265/75/16 tyres are going on. I’m worried about the side steps being ripped off if anything, my first time off roading so not sure how it all works as of yet suppose it’s just try and find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after those tires, imo the next step is a locker and sliders to protect the body. bumpers if you wish, but jot necessary. i say lesrn by doing (thanks jamie!) and just see how the 1st time goes. need more clearence? body lift & bigger tires, or superlift/RC lift. let us know how it goes! imo tt/shackle is about as goid as it gers unless you go into RC and superlift (more $) so bany for bux tt/shackle imo! youre off to a great start!

Back