Off-road opinions and thoughts. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-road opinions and thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fire roads?
1655141627701.png
or maybe somethin like this? but maybe with a few ruts. basically a dirt road that aint always maintaineed i think.. maybe... maybe a bit more rutted out/terrain depending, nt sure!

after those tires, imo the next step is a locker and sliders to protect the body. bumpers if you wish, but jot necessary. i say lesrn by doing (thanks jamie!) and just see how the 1st time goes. need more clearence? body lift & bigger tires, or superlift/RC lift. let us know how it goes! imo tt/shackle is about as goid as it gers unless you go into RC and superlift (more $) so bany for bux tt/shackle imo! youre off to a great start!

Can you advise the locker what one to get? Also can you explain what the RC is? Apologise but I’m from UK maybe it’s a different terminology?

I’m excited to try her with some light off roading the way she is.

i was going to remove the steps but I guess it would look odd with the steps removed only. Unless as said I can’t buy rock sliders maybe?

How good are these off roading compared to the competitor (Land Rover)

Can you advise the locker what one to get? Also can you explain what the RC is? Apologise but I’m from UK maybe it’s a different terminology?

i was going to remove the steps but I guess it would look odd with the steps removed only. Unless as said I can’t buy rock sliders maybe?

RC= The brand Rough Country

depends- for a selectsble locker, to be honest, maybe rue arb air locker. but, for a good value the powertrax no slip. it isnt selectable, and it automatically oocks, and can be a bit odd to get used to at firsr, but theyre a good price and great performance imo

rc is rough country

@Metta This is the link you would want for the Rough Country, specified for the 1998-2011 Ranger 4wd. I and every one else here promise that it will fit your 2nd-gen Ex. You MUST specify 4wd when ordering.

If you're going to go this route, I'd recommend 33x12.5's, since all that height is going to make it easy to flip over. It's gonna look dumb if you go 5" up and don't go at least 33's; 32s can fit just fine with just the TT/shackles. Explorers don't have much room between casual and extreme.

The rear end is going to be your real problem, spring over axle (SOA) swap isn't a hard mod to do if you don't mind sacrificing most road use. Beware that a poorly executed SOA can cause drivetrain problems down the line, due to axle wrap. If you go SOA, I recommend F-150 leaf spring packs since they bolt right up.

I've got 4" Superlift front, 2" shackles + 1.5" OME leaf packs w/ overload removed (extra .5"). The OME's sag under load, so I still lean back just a bit.

Not trying to overwhelm you with all that, but it's stuff I learned by doing it; there aren't many options for our Ex's even in the USA, so I can only imagine that it would be harder to find and get parts shipped internationally. Hope to see what you decide! That's one fine looking machine!

Since you have a lot of moisture there which may mean a lot of mud, I would suggest a selectable locker for the rear like ARB or an Eaton E-locker. I love the lunchbox lockers but they can be a handful on off camber trails that have mud or ice on them. By handful I mean a lunchbox locker can make the vehicle slide sideways when you're trying to go forward in slick off camber conditions. An LT265/75/16 is an ideal tire size for that platform.

On my 2002 Explorer Sport, I added more spring rate to the rear of the vehicle it totally transformed how the vehicle felt and rode....much better on road handling. Plus the stiffer rear springs forced the front end articulate more keeping the steer tires on the ground.

Since you have a lot of moisture there which may mean a lot of mud, I would suggest a selectable locker for the rear like ARB or an Eaton E-locker. I love the lunchbox lockers but they can be a handful on off camber trails that have mud or ice on them. By handful I mean a lunchbox locker can make the vehicle slide sideways when you're trying to go forward in slick off camber conditions. An LT265/75/16 is an ideal tire size for that platform.

On my 2002 Explorer Sport, I added more spring rate to the rear of the vehicle it totally transformed how the vehicle felt and rode....much better on road handling. Plus the stiffer rear springs forced the front end articulate more keeping the steer tires on the ground.
imo for the suspension yoo want a lower spring rate to flex more, so adding lower tbars woudl have the same effect, and it would allow the rear to flex fully... but jmo!

Softer or stiffer springs depends on the application. If you're putting heavier tires on (more unsprung weight) and heavier gear up top (rocker bars, bumpers, etc. make more sprung weight) then stiffer springs will handle the load better. If you want more flex for the same height, softer springs will give you that. There's no one formula that is the best for everybody.

If you don't need the extra flex, I'd recommend stiffening the setup a bit, so you can keep on-road driving manageable. If you do need the extra flex, softer springs and lower speeds are the best way to play.

Softer or stiffer springs depends on the application. If you're putting heavier tires on (more unsprung weight) and heavier gear up top (rocker bars, bumpers, etc. make more sprung weight) then stiffer springs will handle the load better. If you want more flex for the same height, softer springs will give you that. There's no one formula that is the best for everybody.

If you don't need the extra flex, I'd recommend stiffening the setup a bit, so you can keep on-road driving manageable. If you do need the extra flex, softer springs and lower speeds are the best way to play.
true, but imo at a given weight and height i'd choose softer spring for an offroad application within reason. onroad is a different story though ;)

Boy, you sure are getting a lot of advice! Here’s mine.
Before you go buying lifts and lockers etc, just learn how to drive it offroad. At least 50% of off pavement driving success is driver, not vehicle. The stock Explorer is very capable for what I think you want to do.
Do this: have or get decent all terrain tires, have or get front and rear tow points, get a recovery strap, learn how to disconnect and reconnect your swaybars, learn how to air down your tires and air them back up again, find a friend that also has a 4wd and wants to use it, and go drive these green lanes. Don’t go alone in life you’re experienced.
After you do it a dozen times or so, THEN think about what you might want to get to improve things.
These things I listed are the very basics to do, but doing/having them will get you far, and get you back.
You don’t want to build your vehicle until you’re a capable driver first.

Boy, you sure are getting a lot of advice! Here’s mine.
Before you go buying lifts and lockers etc, just learn how to drive it offroad. At least 50% of off pavement driving success is driver, not vehicle. The stock Explorer is very capable for what I think you want to do.
Do this: have or get decent all terrain tires, have or get front and rear tow points, get a recovery strap, learn how to disconnect and reconnect your swaybars, learn how to air down your tires and air them back up again, find a friend that also has a 4wd and wants to use it, and go drive these green lanes. Don’t go alone in life you’re experienced.
After you do it a dozen times or so, THEN think about what you might want to get to improve things.
These things I listed are the very basics to do, but doing/having them will get you far, and get you back.
You don’t want to build your vehicle until you’re a capable driver first.

That’s my idea I’m going to go out with two other lads with some MT 265/75/16 Tyres already fitted with a TT and Warrior shackles but she looks a bit low on the back still these tyres are only for off roading on roading I have others as there very noisy haha. Photo here to see wounder if it’s the air suspension maybe get some monroe shocks for the rear? I just feel it’s not high enough on the arches for what it should be?

15AA3BBD-312F-4417-8C32-38090C9DCF6B.jpeg

for air suspension, many members end up just deleting it as they age cause they can cause more roblems now. monroe load ajusts are good too, never combined them with a shackle before however, but i think it could work

That’s my idea I’m going to go out with two other lads with some MT 265/75/16 Tyres already fitted with a TT and Warrior shackles but she looks a bit low on the back still these tyres are only for off roading on roading I have others as there very noisy haha. Photo here to see wounder if it’s the air suspension maybe get some monroe shocks for the rear? I just feel it’s not high enough on the arches for what it should be?

View attachment 430515
I have two Sports and one 4-door, all 3 have the Monroe coil-over shocks. They are just what the doctor ordered IMO. They put the back end at the right height, they ride and handle good, and the rear end doesn't squat if I put a few bags of concrete or some luggage back there.

Gorgeous truck. Best of luck to you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have two Sports and one 4-door, all 3 have the Monroe coil-over shocks. They are just what the doctor ordered IMO. They put the back end at the right height, they ride and handle good, and the rear end doesn't squat if I put a few bags of concrete or some luggage back there.

Gorgeous truck. Best of luck to you!
imo i like my air shocks, but thanks for your opinion! . i test drove one with the monroes, and unloaded it felt a bit too stiff for my liking. have you used air shocks before? imo i like em better cause i can adjust as needed. curious to see your thoughts on that!! always nice knowing people with different experiecnes!

Back