Off-road opinions and thoughts. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-road opinions and thoughts.

The rear hitch probably won’t effect your departure enough to not want it. If you need recovered and really need to pull, I’d match rather pull from the center of a hitch than on a frame mounted hook.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think he either meant welded on to it, or connected into the reciever, kind of like these. I almost did did welded ones on mine, but I got a four way hitch that had 3 sizes and a tow hook instead. Either of these would work as a rear tow point, my hitch is now on the Rado, but you get the gist, can see the hook. But that way ya don't have to remove the bumper, plus as said, the hitch can help protect the bumper. Even with an aftermarket bumper, the hitch still kind of works like a skid plate, so it's nice to have sometimes

sddefault.jpg 57255_W3.jpg PicsArt_06-22-09.51.18.jpg

Do you have any photos bud? My idea was the toe bar actually sits low down, so ideally I wanted that removed the rear bumper is scabby on the chrome and I’ll eventually have a proper off road rear bumper put on in the future :)

And would you just put the d ring where the bolts would go for the tow bar?
imo it aint too low especially for now. hitch protects the bumper too!
599D26D5-393E-403C-9F0A-FE3967D340B7.jpeg

On a european Explorer the tow hitch is different. There's a close to 10cm/4in vertical metal plate under the hitch bar.

explorer konks.jpg

I’d swap it for a traditional hitch.

On a european Explorer the tow hitch is different. There's a close to 10cm/4in vertical metal plate under the hitch bar.

View attachment 431087
A metal plate?? Could ya nab a picture from underneath if ya get some time and it ain't too much of a hindrance? Curious to see

I’d swap it for a traditional hitch.
yeah id change it for a traditional one that bolts up or welds up like us US explorers have :cool: unless the under metal is a hitch protrctor 😂

A metal plate?? Could ya nab a picture from underneath if ya get some time and it ain't too much of a hindrance? Curious to see
curious too!

Took a couple of pictures of my cars hitch. The main construction is the same as the US one but where the rectangular connector tube should be there's this 4in high plate metal tow ball holder underneath the hitch frame.

IMG_20220630_230509.jpg IMG_20220630_230614.jpg IMG_20220630_230802.jpg

That's the problem in europe, legally you can't use the US stile hitch, at least where I live.

Really? That's a thing? Well dad gum, sorry to hear that. Not sure what to tell ya about that hitch then, that makes for a good way to catch yourself on something in the woods.

A bolt on ball mount seems like a terrible idea.

Back