Off-road opinions and thoughts. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-road opinions and thoughts.

for air suspension, many members end up just deleting it as they age cause they can cause more roblems now. monroe load ajusts are good too, never combined them with a shackle before however, but i think it could work

Can you get these from rock auto? That’s the ones I’m looking at the moment :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imo i like my air shocks, but thanks for your opinion! . i test drove one with the monroes, and unloaded it felt a bit too stiff for my liking. have you used air shocks before? imo i like em better cause i can adjust as needed. curious to see your thoughts on that!! always nice knowing people with different experiecnes!

I think the issue with mine are the load valve on the diff is broken, so I’ve tied it so it’s right up meaning the bags will be as full as they can go but I do think that they could go higher they ever so slightly . Hence why I think I need new shockers

I think the issue with mine are the load valve on the diff is broken, so I’ve tied it so it’s right up meaning the bags will be as full as they can go but I do think that they could go higher they ever so slightly . Hence why I think I need new shockers
right, as these age sometimes they can cause more issues than they worth. as such, many will delete the ARC system (remove pump lines etc) and just put something like this or conventional shocks in its place, or air shocks etc.

the load ajusts combined with a shackle i have a feeling will work good for your use if you wanna keep em the way the rig sits now, if not maybe a tad bit higher. let me know how they are, test drove one with those unloaded with little gas too it felt too stiff back there, but thats just my opinion! i ike my flexy but firm suspension 🤣

right, as these age sometimes they can cause more issues than they worth. as such, many will delete the ARC system (remove pump lines etc) and just put something like this or conventional shocks in its place, or air shocks etc.

the load ajusts combined with a shackle i have a feeling will work good for your use if you wanna keep em the way the rig sits now, if not maybe a tad bit higher. let me know how they are, test drove one with those unloaded with little gas too it felt too stiff back there, but thats just my opinion! i ike my flexy but firm suspension 🤣

I’m happy to keep the air I like the ride, but as said above I feel the back could be a little higher and maybe it’s the air bags not maxing to it’s capacity?

Awesome man so these are the ones I would need? If so I’m strongly debating removing the air bags for these I should then get my true height on the back in theory depending on how the leaf springs hold up
according to rockauto and the web. also the ones i looked at for a while. if you get these the bags (the factory ARC system right?) will go bye bye and you should get the height those advertise.

mentioning leaf springs-one option, and not sure how economical it is overseas, the OME CS042R 1.5" lift springs are an option too, i have em on mine.
I’m happy to keep the air I like the ride, but as said above I feel the back could be a little higher and maybe it’s the air bags not maxing to it’s capacity?
afaik, and im not too sure but i think the ARC system (in usa at least) is basically air shocks controlled by the trucks pump. as such when you replace the shocks with em monroes, the aARC goes away, as those arent shocks that can be pumped up

you mention bags, are they bags or the air shocks?

one could replace the ARC shocks with another pair, but then the pump lines etc can still fail. imo not worth it to keep/replace parts of ARC, too much imo. easiest to get those monroes and delete ARC

imo i like my air shocks, but thanks for your opinion! . i test drove one with the monroes, and unloaded it felt a bit too stiff for my liking. have you used air shocks before? imo i like em better cause i can adjust as needed. curious to see your thoughts on that!! always nice knowing people with different experiecnes!
I have, but back in my hot-rod days. For whatever reason, the air lines always seemed to leak eventually; but, tbh, after I got my first set of the Monroes, I fell in love with them and never looked back. Those plus a set of shackles on my 2-door gave me enough room for 32's, and those on my 4 door that has a little more weight work out pretty well for me...I am probably going to do shackles and 265-75-15on it, just like the OP has. That's my grocery-getter; one of the 2-doors is my wheeler, and my other one is 'under construction', but I'm not concerned so much with ride quality with the 2 doors.

The 4-door has all new shocks and poly suspension bushings, so I guess she's a little firm. I like the way she drives tho. Shame she's not a 5.0 and 5-speed lol

I have, but back in my hot-rod days. For whatever reason, the air lines always seemed to leak eventually; but, tbh, after I got my first set of the Monroes, I fell in love with them and never looked back. Those plus a set of shackles on my 2-door gave me enough room for 32's, and those on my 4 door that has a little more weight work out pretty well for me...I am probably going to do shackles and 265-75-15on it, just like the OP has. That's my grocery-getter; one of the 2-doors is my wheeler, and my other one is 'under construction', but I'm not concerned so much with ride quality with the 2 doors.

The 4-door has all new shocks and poly suspension bushings, so I guess she's a little firm. I like the way she drives tho. Shame she's not a 5.0 and 5-speed lol
i see! thanks! my 4dr has all poly too, lovin it! wouldnt mind a 5.0 though!

So thanks for all the advice she’s now ready ish for her first light off road work. She’s sitting level noe after freeing up the load valve for the rear shocks. I’ve removed the bottom part of the bumper to ensure that does not catch,

I’ll update this thread as I go youve all been fantastic and my next order is maybe the leaf springs.

What I do need to make is some sort of bash guard for the oil cooler pipes as you can see on the front of the bumper below the bumper image is hard to see I’ll get some closer ones but you get the idea :)

5AA40B84-B19A-4F78-BA8E-0DF1C3AD24E9.jpeg

those would be lines for the transmission cooler

So thanks for all the advice she’s now ready ish for her first light off road work. She’s sitting level noe after freeing up the load valve for the rear shocks. I’ve removed the bottom part of the bumper to ensure that does not catch,

I’ll update this thread as I go youve all been fantastic and my next order is maybe the leaf springs.

What I do need to make is some sort of bash guard for the oil cooler pipes as you can see on the front of the bumper below the bumper image is hard to see I’ll get some closer ones but you get the idea :)

View attachment 430625
rci makes a real nice skid plate for ours!!!!

Oh really? Do you have any links for that mate? Before I try to manufacture one from some plates?

Yeah that’s them! Seem to open for my liking when off roading.
theyre pricey, but these things are great so ive heard. want one for myself sometime, but all in good time! Engine Skid Plate | 98-11 Ranger

also ;) eventually something like an offroad bumper may be nice, such as those made by rockranger or RLC

theyre pricey, but these things are great so ive heard. want one for myself sometime, but all in good time! Engine Skid Plate | 98-11 Ranger

also ;) eventually something like an offroad bumper may be nice, such as those made by rockranger or RLC

That would be perfect but does it cover the gearbox oil cooler pipes?

I wounder if they post to the UK

2000 mountaineer link in my signature has pictures of the rci front skid plate installed. Inside thread you'll also see trans cooler modification and line clearances

Edit turn phone sideways to view member signatures

2000 mountaineer link in my signature has pictures of the rci front skid plate installed. Inside thread you'll also see trans cooler modification and line clearances

Edit turn phone sideways to view member signatures

I’ve had a look through got to page 10. But so tried works crazy busy.

Where abouts will I find that bud page wise? Your thread looks very interesting so I’ll be having a good read through

I’ve had a look through got to page 10. But so tried works crazy busy.

Where abouts will I find that bud page wise? Your thread looks very interesting so I’ll be having a good read through
1655511492660.png

right here under the bumper

@Metta Skid plate is a better idea, but for budget purposes I'm about to install a modified Curt Class III trailer hitch receiver (about $150 in the US) to protect those precious transmission cooler lines. I just had those little fellas replaced, so protecting the new ones is paramount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adding a hitch under the front bumper of a off road vehicle is a bad idea. You take away too much approach angle from a vehicle that doesn't have much to begin with.

Back