ok Lift Kit fight, need some explorers ;-) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ok Lift Kit fight, need some explorers ;-)

ill just run the new leaf set unless i see its gonna cause problems having the weight from the third row seat, the reason for the tire going under and not over in the X is cause Im not in the nicest city.... over... it would disappear!

so yeah ill hold off on the AAL till I see what the weight load does.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You won't need the AAL for a long time with the new leaf pack...and you will have no concern about the 3rd row seat and spare tire....;)

if i used a 15x8 with a 33x12.5 how much rubbing u think there would be? i can get 10.5 and 12.5 for same price... just dont want to trim, lol

15x8 with a 33x12.50 under the truck will need to be aired down to even fit.. AND.. the tire will rub against the diff cover when you go over bumps that stuff the rear suspension enough (doesn't really "need" to be that much)..

I can't answer about rubbing up front other than the 1st two things to rub are normally the front bumper and the metal right behind the tire..

33x12.50 with 3.75 backspacing does rub on our RA when near full lock but a big part of it is caster.. our caster is out of what so the tires really lean over when near full lock.

~Mark

10.50 (33x10.50) will still rub the rear diff if you store it under the truck..

32"x11.50 when aired down didn't.. Both were BFG AT KO's

~Mark

yeah i was looking at storing it under the truck, doing the cut off mod that i seen on the forum, only other option was to make a custom swing like a bronco or rodeo style swing for the spare.

This thread is awesome.

My 35x12.5s didn't rub at all on the stock radius arm even at full lock. 4" lift, 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing.

About the AALs lifting an SUA truck...
"If" the springs are sagging (not the only reason to use an AAL) then it might not lift it higher than it was stock, but it's still lifting the vehicle. Measure the rear fender well before and after you install the AAL. I'll bet any money that it will be higher after...

Plain and simple, higher = lift

I'm glad you decided to get the lift springs, since that's the best way to do it. It will ride better, last longer and give you less problems. If you don't really flex out the truck a lot, those things will last and won't need the AALs for a long time like tbars said.

I was lucky when I did AAL and shackles. I got a total 4" from it. They were Warrior shackles too! They didn't ride any harder that I noticed and compressed flat for good flex.
I am now SOA though for best all round lift with real good ground clearance and 4" up front. My rear sits 1/2" higher than the front now but I also didn't reinstall the overload spring.

im hoping to get tax refund in about a week from now (today is 2/04) they said i should get it around 2/13 then takes a week to get the stuff from RC so 2/20 and install it that weekend, then another two weeks for rims and 33s, will take pics as soon as i get it all done :-D

I was lucky when I did AAL and shackles. I got a total 4" from it. They were Warrior shackles too! They didn't ride any harder that I noticed and compressed flat for good flex.
I am now SOA though for best all round lift with real good ground clearance and 4" up front. My rear sits 1/2" higher than the front now but I also didn't reinstall the overload spring.

i originally did an AAL and warrior shackle to the rear and it did sit level, for like a week.. then it started to sag the more i ran it, its a good 1-2 inches lower in the rear now. which is why i bought lift packs.

It's crazy how lifts and ride height vary so greatly between different vehicles even though they are the same model. But I guess you'd have to factor in factory build tolerances, age, mileage, use & abuse, Climate, etc.
Plus, those rear leaf springs are pretty long. On shorter springs, I'm sure they'd hold up better over a longer period of time (less material to distort).

...They do make long and short AAL's...I learned this back when I was researching for my Ranger...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back