Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap

Well.. once again I've caved in to peer pressure.. you guys are a bad influence!!!

I've decided that this summer will see me do an Electric shift 4406 conversion aswell as a full width SAS/SOA conversion.

Now, I've been offered the entire front end from a 79 bronco for $400 or the entire from end from an 89 Ramcharger for $100...

My intentions are to use coil springs and RAs up front not leaf springs,

So which Dana 44 will be best? Can I put the spring seats on the Dodge axle? The Dodge set up comes with the vacuum set up, but I'll be switching to an elec locker at a later date anyway.

The cost is not the issue, I want to use the correct stuff first off,

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it will predominantly be my DD... and it's not like the wheeling around here is super serious... mostly muddy trails..

Si

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So, I got told last night that the stock bronco spring towers are not suitable for my application and I also need to find some shock towers too...

Someone said James Duff make what I need... any other suggestions?

And can you tell from looking at the RA's if they're dual shock set up or not?

Si

Found these ....worth getting? 37x14.5x15 Irok Super Swampers on 15x12 Rock Crawlers

KGrHqRqwFEykSNUO6BRj-Ejq2g48_20_zps42fae3d1.jpg

KGrHqFqUFF60bGnbgBRj-I5YKg48_20_zps1d57a4da.jpg

KGrHqRroFEyT2lCQ4BRj--8GMw48_20_zps80c60d47.jpg

T2eC16hHJF0FFZ4Nc5mKBRj-Ngjg48_20_zps852e7937.jpg

Si

I'm also struggling to find 5.13s... either used or new.. I'm guessing I can get away with 4.88s... or just be patient and get the 5.13s??

Si

I forgot to add that I'm struggling to find anything local that isn't stupidly expensive.. what do you think of the wheels/tires Pete?

Si

I forgot to add that I'm struggling to find anything local that isn't stupidly expensive.. what do you think of the wheels/tires Pete?

Si

i think 1400 is steep for that set up......those tires and wheels are
THROUGHLY used......and $1400 for those are too much...

you can get those tires (brand new) for 1400, and the wheels for
150 each...

this is my opinon

:salute:

I priced out that wheel and package here, in Canada, and it came out to $3400, the actual package I wanted (super swamper boggers/16" rims) comes out just shy of 4k!

Even shopping online is going to cost me in the region of $2500.

The rims are 12" wide with 4" backspace, I think, although a little on the high side, that they're still cheaper than anything else I can find locally.

Si

I priced out that wheel and package here, in Canada, and it came out to $3400, the actual package I wanted (super swamper boggers/16" rims) comes out just shy of 4k!

Even shopping online is going to cost me in the region of $2500.

The rims are 12" wide with 4" backspace, I think, although a little on the high side, that they're still cheaper than anything else I can find locally.

Si

wow i just did a search and found those tires for $409
which comes to 1600....but in any case...

buy them then bro!!!!!......do it...!!!!.... = )~

i think they would last a while

if i was in the market for that kind of thing, i would do it,,

I've only done 6k kms in 2yrs! so my couragias are like new, but, I can get them 37s on Wednesday, cos, without wheels/tires I can't really start lining up my suspension etc....

Si

and I just got off the phone with a gear shop and basically, they advised me to stay away from 5.13s as I'm likely to keep breaking them, so for reliability they advised me to either 4.56 or 4.88s

so, I think 4.88s will be the choice... and I'm looking at around $400 each end.. :(

Si

Been fine with my 5.13's

How many miles, how often do you drive it, etc on yours? don't wanna end up stranded at the side of the road, I still wanna use this daily as much as poss

Si

He wheels the crap out of two ways,, check out the Truckhaven threads. and the Hollywood star car page on facebook,,
not only does it go off road in pretty tough wheeling, but he tears up the red carpet too,,

driven hard off road, than on to the parade circuit too,,

well, that's ok then.. if it's driven like that and his 5.13s hold up to that, then I should be ok.. I'm guessing this guy had a load of 4.56s that he couldn't get sold... now to find some that aren't gonna break the bank.. I ran out of cash a while ago... and can't sell parts off Pickle till I've swapped all this stuff into it... so... I'm at stalemate.. sorta.. :D

Si

if the guy says you'll be sorry for that choice, get the laptop out , show him all the rigs on here that run 5:13's,, the JP is only one of the many

going back to rear axles a min - would a 91 F150 8.8 be ok? it's a 5x5.5....

Si

Back