• Register Today It's free!

PIU leftover wiring removal?

MoistSallyMosin12

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU
I have a 17 PIU. I have a PIU center console on the way. Want to remove this rats nest of wires, but I don't know what is factory and whats not, I don't want to just start cuttin wires blindly. Looking for some advice or suggestions on what I should do. I feel like I could get away with shoving them all under the console but not sure haha.

Thank you.

20220604_154735.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
After looking at that, I'm feeling like having spaghetti for supper.:)

Peter

Haha thanks, so far I've trimmed the ones I can tell go nowhere, which has made me think at this point if I can coil the rest up tight enough I might be able to just shove them under the console when I install it and call it a day.

I had a few old FPIU harnesses left in my 2013 and some cut wires that were live and sparky! I disconnected and saved the harnesses and that cut down most of the spaghetti, before installing a civilian XLT console. I ended up having to run my own power to the new console. Another thing to consider: some of the 12v pairs are live even after the power is cut off. Some aren't.

LOL I have done the same and Pepe Le Pew is right they just don't give a fat rat's ass when they chop up the wiring and they leave the hot wires to short out which could cause a fire. Use a VOM and a wire tracer to do what you plan on doing. When you find a hot wire tape it off good until you find out where it goes. I have a 2017 and purchased the electrical book. BTW It does NOT tell you everything. The only thing that does tell you everything is the mechanics CD

I have a 2017 Interceptor and I am planning on putting in everything just as it was before whoever carelessly ripped the wiring out. I have the understanding that the 17’s are equipped with factory lights and siren wiring?? Is that correct? I don’t have any problem with running my own, but why make more of an issue with it than it needs to be? I already have Code 3 trunk lights and lights on the bumper with alternating flasher modules on them. As soon as power is connected to them, they do their job. I am also planning on using a light bar in the inside on the rear of the unit as well.
And then in the front, I’m going with a set of visor lights. I have a set of lights that are small, but bright, pod lights that are going in a staggered stance in the grill. And then lastly, I also have two very bright rectangular Code 3 lights on my push bumper that are also hooked up on the same kind of Code 3 flashing relay just as the trunk lights are. One of the issues that I have come across is finding a set of wig wags for the front and rear lights on the unit itself. Code 3 and Federal want a small fortune for them, so they are out there. But I am confused..don’t the interceptors come factory built with wig wag flashers installed? Someone please explain/help me with there’s issues! I would greatly appreciated it! It would also save me some serious headaches! Thank you for reading my post! Have a great day! 😁

I have a 2017 Interceptor and I am planning on putting in everything just as it was before whoever carelessly ripped the wiring out. I have the understanding that the 17’s are equipped with factory lights and siren wiring?? Is that correct? I don’t have any problem with running my own, but why make more of an issue with it than it needs to be? I already have Code 3 trunk lights and lights on the bumper with alternating flasher modules on them. As soon as power is connected to them, they do their job. I am also planning on using a light bar in the inside on the rear of the unit as well.
And then in the front, I’m going with a set of visor lights. I have a set of lights that are small, but bright, pod lights that are going in a staggered stance in the grill. And then lastly, I also have two very bright rectangular Code 3 lights on my push bumper that are also hooked up on the same kind of Code 3 flashing relay just as the trunk lights are. One of the issues that I have come across is finding a set of wig wags for the front and rear lights on the unit itself. Code 3 and Federal want a small fortune for them, so they are out there. But I am confused..don’t the interceptors come factory built with wig wag flashers installed? Someone please explain/help me with there’s issues! I would greatly appreciated it! It would also save me some serious headaches! Thank you for reading my post! Have a great day! 😁
Dang! You sound as bad as I am. However I am a storm chaser/weather tracker for SkyWarn/NWS (see pic below) and NOT A COP.
I rewired almost everything with a variation. NO siren and NO wig-wag headlights. (check state laws) BUT
I have the speaker hooked up to an Whelen air horn unit, purchased used, off of eBay. Just wish I would have gotten the one with PA [but then again I guess it is keeping me out of trouble with my comments for stupid drivers].
I have the Setina and removed the red and blue strobes and installed 4 amber strobes and an off road bar light: https://www.amazon.com/OFFROADTOWN-Driving-Wiring-Harness-Pickup/dp/B0BHSJNJRQ?tag=seriouexplor-20
I have traffic lights: just rear of the AM/FM antenna on the roof.
I have filled the 3 roof holes with antennas for my scanner, GMRS radio and CB radio.
I installed a Renogy 3000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter that has come in very handy: https://www.renogy.com/3000w-12v-pu...UaAjeGEALw_wcB&r_u_id=9188094281&gad_source=1
I reinstalled Whelen 90 Watt Hideaway Strobe Kit on the rear lights (they go on the white lens) and all 3 break lights have a strobe kit hooked up individually 1:1 https://www.amazon.com/Flasher-Stro...otorcycles/dp/B09KGSK7DK/?tag=seriouexplor-20

IMG_2358.JPG

I do believe it is law that ALL the police vehicles must be decommissioned by removing EVERYTHING that implies it is a police vehicle.
This includes ALL vinyl stickers, lighting and audio through the outside speaker (my speaker was left on) and antennas.
On my vehicle I still have the Shadow Chevrons on the lower rear bumper. I believe someone forgot to do a through job.
You can NOT use red &/or blue strobes unless authorized by your state.
There are no laws indicating amber &/or white lighting strobes but NOT headlights.
Also be careful because some states (like Illinois) will pull you over even if you SLIGHTLY resemble a police vehicle. (IL has no sense of humor)

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm curious as to the intended use of the vehicle?

Peter

I have a 17 PIU. I have a PIU center console on the way. Want to remove this rats nest of wires, but I don't know what is factory and whats not, I don't want to just start cuttin wires blindly. Looking for some advice or suggestions on what I should do. I feel like I could get away with shoving them all under the console but not sure haha.

Thank you.

View attachment 430084

90% of what I see in that photo is aftermarket. Anything that was factory should stop under the radio and plug into one of the plugs. Anything held together with large zipties is aftermarket. Any of the wires that keep going under the dash most likely pass through the firewall above the steering column and go into the engine bay to an aftermarket fuse box. It should be pretty easy to track down. I would just start a little at a time.

I do see the TPMS module with the white sticker on it. don't mess with it or its wires.

The two plastic looms and all the wires inside of it are not factory, the blue wires can go, and the red/yellow wires can go. Just pay attention to what they connect to as they may be spliced into factory wiring at one of the ends.

For what its worth, on my 2015 PIU, I looked up the pertinant section in the modifiers guide for that year (I think it started on page 2-58 for my 2015) and found all the optional wire harness locations and anything to do with wig-wags, flashers, siren, and anything else I wasn't goin to need for civilian use. I taped everything I could identify for removal, then followed the cables to see what I could remove without getting in over my head. There were a number of harnesses running straight down the middle of the floor underbneath a chunky steel protective plate. All of that is gone now. There is a lot more still in place, leading forward to the engine bay, but I got rid of enough to make things reasonably tidy in the console area.

Back