Pollarican's 91 Buildup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pollarican's 91 Buildup

Hey guys! I have been collecting parts for some time now, and after waiting for winter break to build my truck for what seems like forever, I have finally started the buildup. I'm building my 1991 4DR Eddie Bauer Explorer, getting whatever parts I want/need from a 1993 Sport Explorer.

Let me break it down roughly-

Phase 1: Auto (A4LD) to Manual (M5OD) Swap

-New clutch + Pressure Plate
-New Clutch Line
-Swap pedal bracket, floor bracket, etc
-New Slave Cylinder

Phase 2: Front End Repair
-Moog Balljoints
-New Axle Seals
-Already have pretty fresh Timken Bearings and seals
-Raybestos Pads front

Phase 3: Skyjacker front end lift
-5.5" Bracketry, Shocks etc.

Phase 4: Rear Axle Swap (Newer 8.8)
-Disc Brake
-4.10 gearing
-Limited Slip
-SOA

Phase 5: 33 Inch Mud Terrain Tires
-12.50" Wide
-Stock 15x8 Rims for now

Additionally, while all this is going on, I have a friend repainting the majority of my interior, which had so far turn out looking great. I'll grab some pics of that very soon.

There is minor engine maintenance to be done while this is going on. This includes swapping my IAC, putting in a new rear main seal while the trans is out, doing a little work on the starting system, reinstalling my coil pack, etc. This stuff isn't that big of a deal.

I think I'm going to roll around 2WD for a while until I can track Afford a 4.10 chunk for the front, but that is fine for now.

P.S.- Pictures Will Follow in 15 minutes

Update: Both the Auto and Manual Transmissions are out and on my garage floor.

I am going to purchase a new Clutch + pressure plate, slave cylinder, hydro line, and I should probably get a new throwout bearing and pilot. What else do you guys recommend replacing/ doing while I have the trans out?

Attachments

• phptfxl5qPM.jpg
    phptfxl5qPM.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 226

Update: Pictures will follow tomorrow!

Transmission Swap:
The Trans is in, the transfer case mounted. I bought a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot and throwout bearings, slave cylinder, and rear main seal. I was able to get the rear main out using a small slide hammer and two self tapping screws drilled 180 degrees from each other on the seal race.

I swapped in the steering column cover, pedal assembly, master cylinder, clutch line/Resiorvor, and floor plate for the stick, as well as the stick itself inside the car. Now all I need to get the trans finished is to bleed the clutch, and hook up the manual trans harness/ computer which I will be buying from a member of the forum.

Interior:

Every panel of the interior, minus the dashboard, was pulled and painted black, with aluminum colored speaker covers and tan accents to match my originally tan interior parts that remain unchanged. The center console was painted black as well.

Rear Lift:
I pulled my original 8.8 and brought in the new, 4.10 geared, Limited Slip, Disc Brake 8.8 to setup for my SOA lift. The transfer case output angle was at 6 degrees, so I mocked up the new spring perches to put out a pinion angle of 6 degrees and tacked them in place with the MIG. I then let my friends dad run a few nice clean heavy ARC beads to hold the perches in place. The axle is ready to go in tomorrow.

Brakes
First plans of the day tomorrow, swing by the junkyard and get a booster/master combo from a newer explorer to correctly match my new rear discs. The E-Brake might have to wait until I have less important pieces of the truck to finish.

Anybody have any cheap recomendations for extended brake hoses in the front? I've heard F-250 lines from a certain year serve a cheap alternative.

Back