Project Resurrection. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Resurrection.

Well I figure I'd start a thread of this. I'm really not sure where this will go....:rolleyes:

So I picked up Keepers 2000 Explorer Sport, with plans to make into a fun toy to wheel. However after getting it home I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts.:rolleyes: It's in pretty bad shape. Much worse then I expected:(

The whole driver side is toast, and I'm not even sure it can be pushed out enough to be even close to what it was. There is a good 1 1/2" gap between the door jam, where the quarter panel stretched inward. Looks like the front end A-arm may be bent, and the rear axle may be gone too. Everything shifted back there in the accident, and looks like the axle or a shaft is bent. :(

So at this point it's really going to come down to what the frame looks like. I have to do some measurements to see if it's square, or even close. If the Frame is ok, we will probably go on with the project , just may go a different direction. Less body, more tube. If I can come up with the money I'm thinking F-Toy Cage:D However if the frame is toast, there really is no point in going on, there is just way to much damage. At that point the only thing salvageable (besides small parts) is the drive train. Which does run and drive good:thumbsup:

Our plan was to drive it home yesterday...as you can see that didn't happen:( the rear axle was causing the wheel to wobble so bad we knew we would never make it the 45 miles home. We originally thought it was the wheel, as it was cracked. But after swapping the spare on, it had no effect. :thumbdwn:

attachment.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha nice pelvic thrusts..

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It's all good. It's looking pretty sweet all chopped topped. Are you going to leave the roof over the front seats, or keep cutting?

Probably cut it, we're just doing some ruff cuts to see where we stand. We're talking of cutting off the quarter panels all together behind the b pillar. Just to much to repair.:( We'll had some sheet metal back after with the same lines that will attach to the cage later.

On another note JP got a set of new seats today. We swap them out because the sports we're in better shape the JP's. We'll probably put suspension seat in both later

You could always modify it to make the roof like a fullsize Bronco, that would be sweet.

subscribing :smoke:

I got suspicious when I saw your wanted ad over on pirate....

Do it like one of the jimmy's 4x4 buggys but keep the frame and use the hood and explorer grill

Some spy pics of what is going under her...;)

and I need to know about the mysterious 3 boxes? I have only the center one in JP. But this sport has two others, the last one has some kind of RCA plug in with a antenna. :confused:

Attachments

• D50.jpg
    D50.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • D60.jpg
    D60.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 992
  • power boxs.jpg
    power boxs.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,062

the new rubber TSL Super Swampers 39.5x18x16.5
actual measurement 38x14.75 5 for $200 + a free spare wheel!
2011-04-03133349.jpg

2011-04-03133657.jpg

2011-04-03133753.jpg

Nice score!!! :smoke:

...How'd I miss this?

..and dang, them kid's are growing to fast...:eek:

test fitting...... or....

how much am I cutting outta here!
DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

DSCN0110.jpg

Looks like that thing's been used and abused for years already, and the build's just beginning haha. I'm really looking forward to watching this build, can't wait to see how the TTB swap unfolds.

So do these tires make my A$$ look big? :D

Attachments

• Big azz.jpg
    Big azz.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,202

We Thought so...and decided to do some body work?? :p:

The front axle will get pushed forward, and in the end we will probably end up with a 4 door wheel base :scratch:

Attachments

• Body work.jpg
    Body work.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,401

Subscribing!!

Looks like that thing's been used and abused for years already

Agreed. Those pics are not for the faint of heart haha.

Its going to be totally nuts when its done.

Back