How to: - PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So can you upgrade the PTU oil to a higher quality synthetic like Mobile1 or is the OEM already just as good so stay OEM?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a new XSport owner, may I ask what motivated you to change the PTU oil at only 16K miles? Is this a known issue? Just curious. BTW, nice write up! Thanks for sharing.

A huge issue for the Police Fleets running Interceptor Utility's as well. Ford went from saying its a lifetime fluid to recommending aftermarket kits to help frequent PTU oil changes. The big Police Fleets are changing as part of their regular Preventative Maintenance Program.

Big failures in previous years with 16/17 models getting a redesign, there is already a thread on that update.

Yes the PTU oil is an issue. A huge one. A glaring one. Just look at the metal sheen in the oil I dropped at only 16,000 miles. Ford says this oil is a lifetime fluid and does not need maintenance, but at 16,000 miles my drain plug magnet is saturated with metal along with the oil. Ford says "Lifetime" which begs the question, how long is a lifetime? Much speculation that lifetime means 36,001 miles. It is well documented that folks at 30,000 miles plus have drained only to get black sludge. One gent had his oil analysis come back and say his oil was on the verge of becoming abrasive. Do some searches on "Ford PTU Oil Analysis" or "Ford PTU Failure" and you'll come up with a myriad of articles. It becomes clear that Ford is taking a poor position on this and why those of us in the know should do the maintenance Ford isn't.

Lastly, I'm just happy Ford gave us the option to drain it. Could you image if the PTU was designed without a drain plug at all?

Would a 13 Explorer Sport have a drain plug?
I went to a dealer near me and he told me that Ford does not allow them to chain the fluid, but he would point me to someone that would install a fill plug.

Thanks for the great write-up, just made my to buy list!

Big failures in previous years with 16/17 models getting a redesign, there is already a thread on that update.

Please link the thread that the 2016/17 had a PTU redesign. Thanks

So can you upgrade the PTU oil to a higher quality synthetic like Mobile1 or is the OEM already just as good so stay OEM?

Many folks choose to use a different oil. It turns out that the Motorcraft oil is a full synthetic gear oil and is quite good. I see no real reason to use another oil. I've seen folks switch to Amsoil Severe Gear, Redline, Royal Purple and others. Me, after researching, in this case I'll stick with Motorcraft. (but I run Mobile 1 in the engine)

Would a 13 Explorer Sport have a drain plug?
I went to a dealer near me and he told me that Ford does not allow them to chain the fluid, but he would point me to someone that would install a fill plug.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, Ford doesn't want to touch the PTU's (I've seen some dealers that will) but Ford will happily change them after they fail. To address your question specifically, I don't recall on the 13's. You may have to get under there and take a look at it. There were many PTU's around that year that only had a fill hole around mid-way up the PTU. So the technique guys were using was to pump it out then pump clean oil back in.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, Ford doesn't want to touch the PTU's (I've seen some dealers that will) but Ford will happily change them after they fail. To address your question specifically, I don't recall on the 13's. You may have to get under there and take a look at it. There were many PTU's around that year that only had a fill hole around mid-way up the PTU. So the technique guys were using was to pump it out then pump clean oil back in.
Which way is the drain plug facing? Thanks

Good job! I wonder if my fluid extractor will work on the PTU nipple. Sometimes there's internals in the way in getting to the bottom of the case for a full extraction, but if I can it works great.

Good job! I wonder if my fluid extractor will work on the PTU nipple. Sometimes there's internals in the way in getting to the bottom of the case for a full extraction, but if I can it works great.

No one has tried it as far as I know. The nipple hole would have to be smaller than a quarter inch so your extractor tubing would have to be pretty tiny. If you have a drain plug I would say simply use that. It's very easy. Next time I drain mine I will probably use a mighty vac to try to get the other three or 4 ounces out of the bottom through the drain hole. I would say you would run into quite a bit of interference trying to come down to the top with an extractor

Does the 2014 PTU have the rubber vent tube?

Does the 2014 PTU have the rubber vent tube?

Yes it does but may be a different internal diameter. Checkout the first video at the top of the thread.

Yes it does but may be a different internal diameter. Checkout the first video at the top of the thread.
Should I be able to see the vent tube with cap from the top? I have looked around, took off air cleaner assembly to gain better visibility and do not see anything.

Should I be able to see the vent tube with cap from the top? I have looked around, took off air cleaner assembly to gain better visibility and do not see anything.

Yes but it's tricky to find. Did you watch the video at the top of the thread? He shows approximately where it is. If you don't have AWD you don't have a PTU and this wouldn't apply to you.

Absolutely AWD, and yes I watched the video. I will crawl underneath and see what I can find, thanks.

Absolutely AWD, and yes I watched the video. I will crawl underneath and see what I can find, thanks.
Let us know how it goes! You have to crawl back further than you'd think to see up around the PTU. I'd put the truck on ramps and use a creeper if you have one.

I have an early build 2014, built in October 2013 and the drain plug is half way up the case, not at the bottom. Explains why I could not find the vent hose. I guess I am left with getting a vac system and then pump the oil back in. Not sure which is more of a PIA but that's the story.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an early build 2014, built in October 2013 and the drain plug is half way up the case, not at the bottom. Explains why I could not find the vent hose. I guess I am left with getting a vac system and then pump the oil back in. Not sure which is more of a PIA but that's the story.

100% correct, your plug is not a drain plug, but a fill plug. Once oil leaches out the plug its full. That era PTU's were constantly under filled by the way. Should be around 18 ounces.

Back