PTU Problems | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are there any signs (to the driver) that suggest the PTU needs to be replaced rather than just a seal? Or you just have to take the mechanic's word for it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are there any signs (to the driver) that suggest the PTU needs to be replaced rather than just a seal? Or you just have to take the mechanic's word for it?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Unless that question is covered earlier in the thread, you will have to wait for another member to answer since I haven't experienced the issue. Just wanted to say "welcome".

Peter

My PTU seal (2011 LTD) kinda "exploded" yesterday on the road. I´m happy that the car did not burn of, cause all the oil spilled over the exaust. I just got the whole cabin and the area around the car full of smoke. And yes ALL the oil of the PTU ran out in a matter of seconds. Three years ago I had a leaking seal as well and got it repaired.
Now the car is at the dealership and I expect a 2000$+ bill. In case the PTU is damaged I need to check if the car is maybe a total.
currently 85000 miles.

PTU is a $600 part plus labor. Should be $1,000-$1,200 with labor. Your vehicle will not be totaled over a mechanical failure and this isn't an insurance issue anyways.

you´re probably right, but when I had the seal replaced the bill was 1200 Euros (1400US$). All parts must be shipped to Europe first. It was done on warranty but that´s why I am afraid of what is coming up there. No warranty left now... Hopefully it´s only the seal but I do not understand how the seal was blown out, instead of slowly starting to leak. This Is why I´m afraid there is something more than just the seal.

On Sunday, found a little oil leak under my 13 Ex....well thought it was something simple but now Ford is saying I need a whole new PTU unit for my Ex that has only 78k on it. This is insane, this unit should not be damaged to the point where it needs replacing. I am at a boiling point right now where I might b done wit Ford and I love all of my Ford products I've owned. From Mustang to my 2DR Explorer Sport....my 01 Supercharged HD F150(modified).....to now my 13 Ex...But i think this is the straw that broke the camels back. 2500 for a part and labor....no way....for an item Ford has been having problems with....SMH.

Go to another dealership for a 2nd opinion.
A leak does not automatically warrant a full repalcement and could just be as simple as replacing the seal.

Curious, for those that are replacing the fluid in the PTU regularly - are you pumping new fluid in from the allen screw hole underneath the car or is there a vent tube that can be extended to the top of the engine bay? While starting to do the job myself this wknd, I could not figure out/find where this vent tube was if it exist and was not sure if its something that is not on all models?

Curious, for those that are replacing the fluid in the PTU regularly - are you pumping new fluid in from the allen screw hole underneath the car or is there a vent tube that can be extended to the top of the engine bay? While starting to do the job myself this wknd, I could not figure out/find where this vent tube was if it exist and was not sure if its something that is not on all models?
Found the following using the handy 'Search' feature;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...r-diff-fluid-change-2011-explorer-xlt.446413/

Peter

Thanks. I did see that post from using the search function and while that is helpful, it is written from an owner with an XLT so no 3.5 TT.

The thread @ http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/ptu-fluid.445716/ indicates there is a vent tube that can be used but the vehicle used to demo the service in the video is a PI explorer with what I think is the 3.7L motor? Either way, its not the blown 3.5L... So in my mind there is still a question as to where this vent is IF it exist on my car as I couldn't find it for the life of me and now I'm just curious....

Pretty sure I just had the PTU blow out on my 2016 Sport with 16k miles. Was accelerating to get onto the highway and there was a loud bang under the floor board about middle of the truck. Then the wrench logo came up and the car went into limp mode. Was able to get it home but it was bouncing in and out of gears and neutral. There was a puddle of clean fluid after I parked it in the driveway.

Pretty sure I just had the PTU blow out on my 2016 Sport with 16k miles. Was accelerating to get onto the highway and there was a loud bang under the floor board about middle of the truck. Then the wrench logo came up and the car went into limp mode. Was able to get it home but it was bouncing in and out of gears and neutral. There was a puddle of clean fluid after I parked it in the driveway.

Clean fluid? You may be the first to get fluid out of the ptu that is actually clean :) maybe your seal blew... glad your still under the little to no questions asked warrenty...you should be taken care of no problem. Good luck

Loud bang + wrench light + limp mode + rpms bouncing = keep driving it home??? One would think an owner would not want to cause any more damage then has already been done.

Sorry, sometimes I just don't get it...

Clean fluid? You may be the first to get fluid out of the ptu that is actually clean :) maybe your seal blew... glad your still under the little to no questions asked warrenty...you should be taken care of no problem. Good luck
Sorry was typing on my iPad. It looked clear but it was on the driveway so it's tough to tell. Definitely wasn't engine oil.

What colour was the fluid? Just wondering if it could be the transmission. Have it towed to the dealer since you are under warranty.

Peter

At the beach for the weekend so I can confirm on Monday. Left the truck at home dripping fluid, but It looked clear. I almost thought it was condensation from the ac but it was everywhere so it definitely wasn't just ac condensation.

just dropped my car off at the dealership today. Had a terrible gear oil smell coming through the car while sitting at red lights or in traffic. Looked all over the car and finally found a small amount of fluid on the lower motor mount and exhaust manifold. Was brown/black in color. Called the dealership and they told me to bring it in right away. Told me they will look at it Monday, but based on what they visually saw PTU seal failure. Told me the likely fix was a new PTU unit as they dont service them. currently driving a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee rental car from the dealership.

I've had my car back 3 weeks now from getting the PTU replaced... interior still wreaks of gear oil if I turn on fan and/or after driving and car is up to temp... To the point now where I can't stand to drive the damn thing because of the smell. No idea where all the old bad fluid leaked OR if new PTU is leaking but it's gotta stop. No time to deal with it this week but will be talking to dealer next week about this...this is a shame. I'd seriously be taking this thing to sell it right now if I could but with the smell no one is going to want to buy it... Soon as the smell is gone, so is the truck. Done with this car and likely Ford for now...

quick update on my truck. It is a transmission issue. I am driving a Fusion loaner and they said they won't know exactly what happened until the middle of next week.

So far we know it's an internal transmission issue. They are taking the transmission apart to figure out what went wrong and see if it is an easy fix, or a full replacement.

Not happy to be without my truck for 2+ weeks, but I guess things could be worse. The dealership has been great to deal with so far, so I am trying to be patient and not get pissed yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I did see that post from using the search function and while that is helpful, it is written from an owner with an XLT so no 3.5 TT.

The thread @ http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/ptu-fluid.445716/ indicates there is a vent tube that can be used but the vehicle used to demo the service in the video is a PI explorer with what I think is the 3.7L motor? Either way, its not the blown 3.5L... So in my mind there is still a question as to where this vent is IF it exist on my car as I couldn't find it for the life of me and now I'm just curious....

I was just browsing this thread and didn't see a direct answer to your question. I have a 2013 XSport and can confirm that I have a PTU vent. It's kind of tucked away and easy to miss. It's much easier to see if you remove the airbox cover and accordion plumbing. The fitting is directly on top of the PTU at essentially the centerline of the vehicle.

I'm 99% sure the ID of the vent tube is 5/16". I removed the OE tube, purchased some fuel/PCV line (in a longer length) and reinstalled the OE breather cap. The fitting on the PTU looks like a large zerk fitting and does not hold the tube all that well. I put a small hose clamp on mine to give a little more positive retention. I had to do it completely by feel from the underside of the vehicle, and it took A LOT of patience. I was able to drain the PTU fluid from the hex head drain plug, and I refilled via the PTU vent tube.

If you're still having trouble finding the vent tube, I can try to dig up some other threads. Somewhere (either on this site or ecoboost performance forum) there is a thread that shows some of the 3D renderings from the FSM, but I'm not able to locate them at present.

Back