PTU Problems | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I was just browsing this thread and didn't see a direct answer to your question. I have a 2013 XSport and can confirm that I have a PTU vent. It's kind of tucked away and easy to miss. It's much easier to see if you remove the airbox cover and accordion plumbing. The fitting is directly on top of the PTU at essentially the centerline of the vehicle.

I'm 99% sure the ID of the vent tube is 5/16". I removed the OE tube, purchased some fuel/PCV line (in a longer length) and reinstalled the OE breather cap. The fitting on the PTU looks like a large zerk fitting and does not hold the tube all that well. I put a small hose clamp on mine to give a little more positive retention. I had to do it completely by feel from the underside of the vehicle, and it took A LOT of patience. I was able to drain the PTU fluid from the hex head drain plug, and I refilled via the PTU vent tube.

If you're still having trouble finding the vent tube, I can try to dig up some other threads. Somewhere (either on this site or ecoboost performance forum) there is a thread that shows some of the 3D renderings from the FSM, but I'm not able to locate them at present.

Thanks for the info...certainly will provide help to those that need it. Me, I can't get rid of this thing soon enough so I doubt I'll have it much longer to care to deal with this anymore. Weeks later and the car interior still wreaks of nauseating burning gear fluid after driving around 10 minutes...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just dropped my car off at the dealership today. Had a terrible gear oil smell coming through the car while sitting at red lights or in traffic. Looked all over the car and finally found a small amount of fluid on the lower motor mount and exhaust manifold. Was brown/black in color. Called the dealership and they told me to bring it in right away. Told me they will look at it Monday, but based on what they visually saw PTU seal failure. Told me the likely fix was a new PTU unit as they dont service them. currently driving a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee rental car from the dealership.

I have this oil or awful smell coming through my vents..worse in the summer when at lights ect...no one can ever tell me what it is but i had my PTU replaced last summer

Update. My 16 Ex Sport has a cracked PTU. First one the dealership has seen. Pretty vague description from the service counter. I'll update with technical details after I talk to the technician. I'm curious if the PTU shares lubrication fluid with other components because the oil was silver with metal shavings. Also, did the oil contaminate the coolant system. If so, should I ask for a new motor.

I believe the PTU uses a different oil than the engine. I doubt that they are connected in that way.

Peter

Update. My 16 Ex Sport has a cracked PTU. First one the dealership has seen. Pretty vague description from the service counter. I'll update with technical details after I talk to the technician. I'm curious if the PTU shares lubrication fluid with other components because the oil was silver with metal shavings. Also, did the oil contaminate the coolant system. If so, should I ask for a new motor.

PTU uses 75W-140, motorcraft part# WSL-M2C192-A.

Ticking time bomb?
Anyone familiar with Honda's 5AT from MY1999- MY2005 where the 3rd gear would litteraly explode?
Honda finally recognized it as being a design issue and recalled about 100K vehicles and offered 8yr extended warranty, along with a retrofit, rebuild and replacements.

that actually happens a lot, I got my hands on an interceptor ptu and it was almost split in two. Friend at Ford said he would be surprised if they didn't replace the ptu at least once on those vehicles. Someone I know today was looking at my Exploder and asked what model he should buy, first thing I told him was if you don't need AWD stay far far away from it. The interceptor ptus are supposed to upgraded now.

All 2017 PTU's are new design

Backwards compatible with 11-16s?

They are using the new design to retrofit older PI Utility's so I would assume so but I do not know for sure about retail. The Sport shares the same water cooled PTU as PI Utility.

I beleive the improvements are in any new PTU, here is what they have updated:

•Jan 2014 - Full faced thrust washer (FFTW) introduced
•Prevents idler bearing from walking into aluminum case.
•Oct 2015 – Loose Fit Idler Bearing
•Dyno Testing Shows ~ 2 x improvement over FFTW design
•May/June 2016 – New Bearing Design without drawn cups
•Eliminates Walk Mechanism
•Dyno Testing Shows ~3-4 x improvement over FFTW design

They are using the new design to retrofit older PI Utility's so I would assume so but I do not know for sure about retail. The Sport shares the same water cooled PTU as PI Utility.

I beleive the improvements are in any new PTU, here is what they have updated:

•Jan 2014 - Full faced thrust washer (FFTW) introduced
•Prevents idler bearing from walking into aluminum case.
•Oct 2015 – Loose Fit Idler Bearing
•Dyno Testing Shows ~ 2 x improvement over FFTW design
•May/June 2016 – New Bearing Design without drawn cups
•Eliminates Walk Mechanism
•Dyno Testing Shows ~3-4 x improvement over FFTW design

Any reference material to the PTU redesign for the 2017?

Thats it, I copied that from a Ford doc.
I posed the question to a local sales person about any PTU improvements for the MY2017 and was stared at, as of I was speaking a foreign language.

I posed the question to a local sales person about any PTU improvements for the MY2017 and was stared at, as of I was speaking a foreign language.

I bet 75% of sales staff at a Ford dealership don't even know what a PTU is.

Hi all,

New to the forum.

I'll share my experience with you, seems like a common problem. I purchased my Explorer in April this year. I got a 2016 Sport. We also paid the extra for an under body coating for anti-rust stuff and an extended warranty. We keep cars for a while. I've noticed the sulfur smell that stinks up the cabin, say accelerating on to the highway. Then later I noticed that natural gas smell. This got worse and worse to the point it was choking. Turns out the dealership followed a TSB for the sulfur smell by trying to block ports around the rear bumper. They also worked on the PTU. They said the PTU was the smell. There was also overspray of the protective coating on both cat converters and other areas that get hot. This vehicle has 6300 miles on it.

So they had it for a couple of weeks. They said they changed the PTU and wiped down the overspray. They also, apparently, blocked the rear bumper areas. So 3 days after getting it back, the natural gas smell is back and the sulfur smell is back yet not as strong. I called the dealership back today and told them. I said I'll drive it for another week or so to see if the smell goes away. They told me when they walked the old PTU through the service area it stunk out the entire work back and front office. I'd believe it cause it stunk out the house when it happened.

Any thought or recommendation are appreciated. Thanks in advance. It this going to be a repeated problem with their, what seems to be, poorly designed PTU?

Have a great holiday.

Welcome to the Forum LineDriver75.:wave:
The natural gas and sulphur (rotten egg) smell are the same thing. There are threads on the issue as well as 'exhaust smell on hard acceleration'.
Both can be found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).

Peter

This is the first I have heard the PTU smelling bad.

I know there is a new PTU design and you would hope you got the new design as a replacement.

The sulpher/exhaust issue was a long standing TSB which was corrected before 2016 model year Job1, that's really odd you're having that issue.

You must have a very early 16 build maybe.

If it persists follow the Lemon Law regs in your area you dont need anyone getting sick. They need to buy that vehicle back and crush it.

Thanks. It started about 5 months ago. It doesn't smell like the typical rotten eggs associated with the cats. It's a natural gas odor and is very noticeable from up to 8 feet away. Can't miss it.
Did you ever get this resolved and if so what was the outcome?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if the new design will make the fluid last longer. Or, last at all, really.

@Sgt1411, any thoughts on the fluid topic? When are you planning to change?

I am debating doing it at 30k on my 2.3L...

Back