Quick reply please... rear shock replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick reply please... rear shock replacement

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
Trying to replace the rear shocks on my 98 Sport. I got the spare pulled down and the back of the truck is jacked. I began by trying to get the top bolts off first because they seemed harder to get at. My shocks are OEM and the bolts seem rounded over and I can not get them off. The bolts that came with my new shocks are 13mm. Should I try and slam on a smalled size (like an 11 or 12) to try and get the old nuts off the bolt? There is very little room up there and I do not see how I can just break them. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good chance you might get the smaller socket stuck too. I don't know if you have enough room, but maybe a small file could slightly flatten two sides of the bolt?

Good chance you might get the smaller socket stuck too. I don't know if you have enough room, but maybe a small file could slightly flatten two sides of the bolt?

not sure if there is enough room.

I usually use a wrench on those, a 1/2" or 13mm I believe. Take your time with breaking them loose.

Got a pair of vice grips? I'd try them. You risk rounding it out worse, but a lot of times you can get enough turns to loosen it up if you grip it tight enough. I ended up taking a hacksaw to my old shock bolts up front because they were impossible to remove.

He's got a Sport... the access space is very limited.

I usually use a wrench on those, a 1/2" or 13mm I believe. Take your time with breaking them loose.

Yes it is 13mm but they are so rusted, as I turn the wrench, they strip everytime. Plus they where rounded out to begin with. On the pass. side, I slammed a 12mm box wrench on but everytime I turn it just comes right off. I am thinking I got to torch them and then break them but there is so little room I still don't know how I am going to break them.

That's what you fear happening, I hope that you can get them out readily.

I just did my shocks a couple weeks ago. The bolts on the top mounts of the rear shocks were so badly rusted I couldn't hold a wrench on them without stripping, so I cut them out with a dremel.

I just did my shocks a couple weeks ago and the rear top mount bolts were so rusted that I just cut them off with a dremel.

Back