Rearview Camera Issue | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rearview Camera Issue

Have you pointed these issues out to your dealership? I'd be quite concerned about the brake issue.
I wasn't aware that they moved the liftgate switch. On my Aviator, it is still on the driver's side.
BTW, thank you for taking out the Elite Explorer membership and helping to support the site that way.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you pointed these issues out to your dealership? I'd be quite concerned about the brake issue.
I wasn't aware that they moved the liftgate switch. On my Aviator, it is still on the driver's side.
BTW, thank you for taking out the Elite Explorer membership and helping to support the site that way.

Peter
Thanks for the note, Peter. The brake issue has never occurred anywhere other than my driveway and then only on initial startup. I'll mention it to the dealer at my next oil-change. I DID see the note on the forums here about the new SYNC software build, today, and downloaded it to a USB drive and installed it, this evening. We'll see...

SYNC Update 21194.jpg

Looks like you will also be getting the OTA map updates. Current version is NA 220. They take a while to complete.

Peter

New Recall on Rear View Camera out today just got the push notification on FordPass App.

Issue Date
SEP 23, 2021
Description
2020-2021 AVIATOR, EXPLORER, CORSAIR-REAR/360 CAMERA IPMB BLUE SCREEN
Safety Risk
AN UNUSED GENERAL PURPOSE OUTPUT PIN ON THE DIGITAL CAMERA WAS LEFT OPEN. IF THIS PIN IS NOT PULLED LOW IT MAY BE AFFECTED BY LEAKAGE CURRENT, RESULTING IN A LOSS OF VIDEO OUTPUT. LOSS OF REAR CAMERA IMAGE WHILE REVERSING INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy
OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE IMAGE PROCESSING MODULE IPMB SOFTWARE UPDATED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE.
Campaign/NHTSA#
21S44/999999

Thank you for the info. Recall has been added to the TSB/Recall thread.

Peter

New Recall on Rear View Camera out today just got the push notification on FordPass App.

Issue Date
SEP 23, 2021
Description
Safety Risk
AN UNUSED GENERAL PURPOSE OUTPUT PIN ON THE DIGITAL CAMERA WAS LEFT OPEN. IF THIS PIN IS NOT PULLED LOW IT MAY BE AFFECTED BY LEAKAGE CURRENT, RESULTING IN A LOSS OF VIDEO OUTPUT. LOSS OF REAR CAMERA IMAGE WHILE REVERSING INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy
OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE IMAGE PROCESSING MODULE IPMB SOFTWARE UPDATED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE.
Campaign/NHTSA#
21S44/999999
I just seen where Ford is to start sending out notices for this on Oct 7th.

Issue Date
SEP 23, 2021
Description
Safety Risk
Remedy
Campaign/NHTSA#
21S44/999999
I just got my paper notice in the mail today. Hoped to get this done along with the exhaust recall but it sounds like that is still so far out I might just get this done sooner.

I just got my paper notice in the mail today. Hoped to get this done along with the exhaust recall but it sounds like that is still so far out I might just get this done sooner.
I had the recall performed about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, my rear camera did the blue screen thing again last night. Has anyone else who has had that fix performed continue to have problems with their backup camera?

I've
I had the recall performed about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, my rear camera did the blue screen thing again last night. Has anyone else who has had that fix performed continue to have problems with their backup camera?
Heard some needed to have a module replaced also.

Im taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Have not had any issues with the cameras the past 2+ years so won't be doing the recall.

Took my 2020 Platinum to the dealer on 8 Dec for the 21S44 recall. Two days later the Blue Screen was back. Found out the hard way after I backed into a pickup truck (no damage) that the Blue Screen also disables the rear proximity sensors. The software/firmware update does not work. Will take my Explorer back to the dealer this week and "hope" the update works this time. Fingers crossed!

Took my 2020 Platinum to the dealer on 8 Dec for the 21S44 recall. Two days later the Blue Screen was back. Found out the hard way after I backed into a pickup truck (no damage) that the Blue Screen also disables the rear proximity sensors. The software/firmware update does not work. Will take my Explorer back to the dealer this week and "hope" the update works this time. Fingers crossed!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This is the first time that the camera's blue screen was also linked to the rear sensors. Still, there is no substitute for the good old fashion over the shoulder or mirror check. ;) Please report back after your visit. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This is the first time that the camera's blue screen was also linked to the rear sensors. Still, there is no substitute for the good old fashion over the shoulder or mirror check. ;) Please report back after your visit. Thanks.

Peter
Please definitely post back what you find as I’ve not had the chance to take mine back.

And funny your comment @peterk9 - I’m teaching my son to drive and was discussing not relying on the backup camera. When he asked why, the car camera blue screened right on cue. And I got to say “that’s one reason…”

Back