Replacing bench with 2nd row bucket seats | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you have a 2nd row console? If so, you will find some carpeting missing when you remove it. As for the inflatable seat belts, perhaps this thread may provide some info, 2017 Sport second row question (s)
You have to ensure that the airbag light warning light isn't ON once the conversion has been completed or else the system may not work. I'm not familiar with compatible model years. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking to switch my 2nd row bucket seats with the bench seat. I was under the impression that I need to look at 2013-2015 models. I've got a 2015. After reading though the this thread, I'm thinking I can expand my search to 2011-2019. Could someone confirm this?

Also, my model has the air bag seat belts. I am wondering if anyone has insights into switching the buckle on the seat if I find one without the air bag seat belt.

Thanks!

I have a bench seat if you're interested in swapping? I have a '16 XLT Leather

Welcome to the Forum Jeromy.:wave:

Peter

I have a bench seat if you're interested in swapping? I have a '16 XLT Leather
Hi Jeromy,

good to know.. is it still for sale?

I have bucket seats and looking for swapping it to a bench seat. (Family size got upgraded, it makes more loading capacity with 4 children)
Charcoal leather 2011 Explorer Limited.
Klaus

Hi Jeromy,

good to know.. is it still for sale?

I have bucket seats and looking for swapping it to a bench seat. (Family size got upgraded, it makes more loading capacity with 4 children)
Charcoal leather 2011 Explorer Limited.
Klaus

Hi Klaus. As much as I'd love to swap with you, I can only imagine the logistics and cost of shipping to you

My wife has a 2016 Ford Explorer limited and would like captain seats for the second row. It seems the only color they have available at the scrap yards are from an xlt trim in tan leather. I don’t have the inflatable seat belts but I do have black leather. Had anyone else ran into this? We are having our 4th kid and my wife is really wanting to get this because my Denali has it or she wants to get a new car. Her explorer is paid off, help

I been wanting one for my 2011 Explorer . Mine is tan. How did you find the scrap yard inventory ?

sorry no help with your question.

What you are looking for is Bucket Seats. ;) Captains chairs have armrests and just came out on the 2020 Explorer. With a bench seat, you already have one of the buckets. The 40% section. This was mentioned in a reply to your initial post; How to: - 2nd Row Bucket Seat Install

Peter

What you are looking for is Bucket Seats. ;) Captains chairs have armrests and just came out on the 2020 Explorer. With a bench seat, you already have one of the buckets. The 40% section. This was mentioned in a reply to your initial post; How to: - 2nd Row Bucket Seat Install

Peter
That doesn’t really help me. Thanks for explaining the difference between bucket and captain chairs though. So how do I get the other 40 section or is it even available.

That doesn’t really help me. Thanks for explaining the difference between bucket and captain chairs though. So how do I get the other 40 section or is it even available.
You can try some of the automobile recyclers. Several members have used them to obtain parts or Search Results.

Peter

I found a set of captain chairs that have inflateable seat belts. My car doesn’t have this. Will I have any problems installing the ones with air bag seat belts or will they just not work?

I found a set of captain chairs that have inflateable seat belts. My car doesn’t have this. Will I have any problems installing the ones with air bag seat belts or will they just not work?
You do need the non inflatable seat belts. Possible problems with airbag light, airbags not deploying etc. I need the inflatable type though. Where did you find them, and do you know if they're still available? Thanks!

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

has anyone switched out the 2nd row 60/40 seats to two buskets. That immovable 60 side is a pain in the behind. We are all tall in this family and who gets that stationary seat causes far too may fights. Also I have the third row in mine and would like to be able to access it from both sides of the truck.. If you have switched them out to 2 buckets how difficult was it? Aside from cost is there anything I might want to know or consider before I get in over my head? Thanks

has anyone switched out the 2nd row 60/40 seats to two buskets. That immovable 60 side is a pain in the behind. We are all tall in this family and who gets that stationary seat causes far too may fights. Also I have the third row in mine and would like to be able to access it from both sides of the truck.. If you have switched them out to 2 buckets how difficult was it? Aside from cost is there anything I might want to know or consider before I get in over my head? Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing you have an XLT, not an SXT. ;)
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the handy 'Search' feature (upper right). There are a few additional threads as well.
Your 40 seat section is actually a bucket seat.

Peter

Everything bolts right in and it’s actually a pretty easy swap. The key is to get all the necessary brackets and bolts out of the donor vehicle with the seats. Once you have everything it transfers right in and can be done in an hour if you have anything. The only other thing to be mindful of is the seat belts, the ones with inflatable belts have different buckles and so you might have to do some swapping of those if you gets seats from a vehicle with different belt types.

Although I'm not positive, I think the donor seats would have to come from a 2016+ MY Explorer.

Peter

Although I'm not positive, I think the donor seats would have to come from a 2016+ MY Explorer.

Peter
If you are swapping front seats you need to make sure the aribags are compatible and would need to choose similar model years, if you are just swapping the 2nd row, theey should work 11-19, seat materials might vary a bit across that full range of model years if you are trying to make them match. My 2nd row bucket seats and 3rd row came from a Ford Flex and bolted right into the factory holes; my understanding is the rear portion of the floor pans are all the same and bolt holes are unchanged throughout that whole timeframe. The only things that would be challenge would be the seat belts, like I mentioned or if you wanted to include the electronic seat relesae switches and wiring to electronically flip the seats but this isn't required to use them since they still include the manual controls on them to flip without the switches.

I've started doing some research into possibly replacing my existing 60/40 2nd Row Seating with the two separate "captain's" (or "bucket") style of seats (assuming I can even find a decent pair for sale somewhere!)... but I read somewhere that there could possibly be some sort of problem or issue related to compatibility of these seats versus an existing 2-piece bench style seat, because my '18 Sport came with the "2nd row outboard inflatable seat belts" option as part of my original options package.

Has anybody heard of some kind of issue regarding "outboard" inflatable seat belts not being compatible with a bucket-seat conversion? And, if so, what is the issue?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've started doing some research into possibly replacing my existing 60/40 2nd Row Seating with the two separate "captain's" (or "bucket") style of seats (assuming I can even find a decent pair for sale somewhere!)... but I read somewhere that there could possibly be some sort of problem or issue related to compatibility of these seats versus an existing 2-piece bench style seat, because my '18 Sport came with the "2nd row outboard inflatable seat belts" option as part of my original options package.

Has anybody heard of some kind of issue regarding "outboard" inflatable seat belts not being compatible with a bucket-seat conversion? And, if so, what is the issue?

Thanks!
Your post was moved to the 5th gen forum and this thread.
Note post 136 above re belts.
Also; Just swapped my rear bench for buckets
Using the 'Search' feature on 'bench to buckets' will find several other threads on the topic.

Peter

Back