Return from rubicon 2005 Death of the explorers | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from rubicon 2005 Death of the explorers

Then there are the standard pic everyone has to have. Tracy, jefe, and john all crossing the bridge on the trail

rubicon2005 046a.jpg

rubicon2005 047a.jpg

rubicon2005 045a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man oh man.

Okay BII Rubicon checklist:
trailer for tow home
spare parts galore, driveshafts, u joints, tie rods, hubs, etc
heavy duty sliders and skidplates
37" tires

and alot of help from good spotting. That looks pretty rough, looks like the old CJ made it through with least damage.........Maybe we should all let the GF drive :)

I'm sooo glad I stopped when I did. I'm not ready for my truck to look like Jefe's.

Positive Vibes said:
I'm sooo glad I stopped when I did. I'm not ready for my truck to look like Jefe's.
Sure you are, once you get a good dent, it doesn't matter anymore! ;) :p

BKennedy said:

Yea, look who's talking.. All it took was an itty bitty little scratch in a fender, and Brian was just off bashing the whole thing in at Truckhaven later that year.

those are cool pictures

after smashing in 3 doors a fender and taking out a mirror, I'm kinda to the point of not caring either :p

Just cut all the sheet metal off and you wont care :)

Looks great once again.

its actually addiciting :) I could care less about the huge dent I got in Los Coyotes after picking aline too close to a tree, but I was sure pissed as I get when I saw somebody had kicked a small dent into my door one day.
If its trail damage = addicting, if its vadalism, well not so fun.

Great pics :thumbsup:

410Fortune said:
That looks pretty rough, looks like the old CJ made it through with least damage...
I'm not so sure of that. I think Matt needs to post a few pics of the bottom of the CJ ;) :eek:

BKennedy said:

That's not true! :(

Wait...Maybe that why I'm switiching to a Solid Axle next year :confused:

Jeff, Pick your Dr. Pepper cans! :rolleyes:

attachment.php
:D

It's prolly Matt's, he's the Dr Pepper chugger! :p

RangerX said:
It's prolly Matt's, he's the Dr Pepper chugger! :p

So is Jefe! That's all I've ever seen him drink :cool:

BKennedy said:
All I can say is, Matt, you have a cool girlfriend! :thumbsup:

She drove just about the whole trip. The only time I drove was from plaserville to the damn at loon lake. once we locked the hubs and put it in 4wd I wasnt allowed behind the drivers seat anymore :( she is addicted know. She is talking bigger tires sping over bead locks stretched wheel base already for her jeep. :eek:

410Fortune said:
That looks pretty rough, looks like the old CJ made it through with least damage.........Maybe we should all let the GF drive :)

Her jeep isnt really that old. While is is an 84, in 1997 she got hit in it when some one turned left infront of her causing her to roll and slide down the road. Her and her dad tore it apart and rebuilt it. In 2002 her and her dad rebuilt the tcase and added a 4 to 1 gear set to it. in 2003-2004 tracy, her dad, and I installed a Tj 4.0 motor with 17,000 miles on it and a rebuilt nv4500 tranny at the same time. We also installed a detroit in the rear as well. Plus on top of it she probably drives it less then 3000 miles a year anyway. She just dosnt drive much. I wouldnt think twice about hoping in it and driving it cross country tommorow if we had to.

lets see damage to her cj from the trip:

tweaked rear licence plate
both corners of the front bumper bent
all 4 lower shock mounts bent
Tcase skid plate bent
Broke the torque bolt that goes on the tranny mount
Put a huge dent in the gas tank skid plate ( fixed now with a kilby one we installed a few weeks ago)
Bent end of tail pipe
Small dent in front passanger fender and few new scratches in the paint.
Tweaked the mounts on the rear bumper.
Cooling fan was hitting the fan shroud. (Fixed in camp the first night)

Think that is all of it but I could be missing something. I think her christmas present is going to be a clocking ring so we can move the dana 300 up so we dont get hung up on it so much. It was where most of our troubles started at. We would get hung up on the tcase then have to try a different line then we would hit something else.

It sure was relaxing just riding on the trail. As far as letting the girlfrinds/wifes drive it can be a double enge sword. It is nice that they want to go but it can be expensive building and maintaing two rigs.

Stic-o said:
Jeff, Pick your Dr. Pepper cans! :rolleyes:

attachment.php
:D

That was mine. I had to set it down to take the picture and kicked it over right after setting it down. Dont worry it was picked up smashed and put in the burlap bag hanging off the back of the jeep.

Wow! Thats some carnage underneath :)

I remember talking about the 4.0L swap, that is one nice Jeep.
My current girl friend has a 98 Saharah with d44's (ordered from the fact) and 4.10's.
You are not kidding when you say building and maintaining two vehicles is expensive!
I catch myself thumbing through Jeep magazines.....circle this, circle that.... hahaha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RockRanger said:
That was mine. I had to set it down to take the picture and kicked it over right after setting it down. Dont worry it was picked up smashed and put in the burlap bag hanging off the back of the jeep.
I think I picked it up and handed it to Matt. Didn't want him giving us DP drinkers a bad name. It appears it was already too late though, the evidence was photographed. :p

Back