RockRangerII the build up. | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII the build up.

After loosing my last ranger a bit over a year ago I finally got onther one to replace it. The truck I am starting with is a 1993 ranger 4X4 xl standard cab short bed. It is pretty much a bare bones truck. No AC no cruise and a manualt t case. It also has a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 3.73 and an open rear diff. When I purchased the truck it came with a 2.5" rancho lift 31" bfg AT tires on aluminum rims.

I have had the truck around 3 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it sofar. Over that time I have noticed a few things about it. When they installed the lift instead of installing longer brake lines they installed limit straps that limit down travel to about 1" from ride height and also removed the sway bar. They also didnt lift the rear at all and it has a serous case of butt dragging.

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,904

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Iwould probably have to keep the factory block as well as I should be close to 5.5 lift on the rear. I am envious of your doubler set up I thought mine was going to be steep zf-5+np203+np205+4.56gears only around 96:1. Looks like i'll have to concider the 3:1 gearset for the np203. Thanks again

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

How has the B2 tank setup been holding up? hows the ranger pump doing in the b2 tank? I was going to go with a fuel cell setup, but I just dont have the cash for that right now.

Matt also , do you still have your factory tank? My dad needs one for the ranger with the efi plumbing

The bronco II tank has been holding up fine. The only problem I have had is with the filler neck. It is a very tight fit getting it between the frame and the bottom of the bed. It ended up wearing a hole through it and causing a leak. With a 1" body lift or a slight notch on the bed floor/bedside that problem could be taken care of easily. I do hit it way more then I ever thought I would when I am out wheeling though. But with the weight so far back, steep downhills are much more stable then before. I would do the swap again.

Sorry Steve I tossed the old tank a year ago.

Now the house is in at least livable shape and I have had aa few days here and there off from work I have had a chance to do some work on the truck.

Yes it looks like I may get some shocks on this thing. I cut the stock shock mount off the coil bucket and welded a F250 shock mount in its place. I also cut the fingers off and put a 3/16" plat in the coil bucket. This is for when I do a coil front suspension in the future. It will be similar to a Tj setup with a pipe down the middle and a bump stop on the bottom.

After that I added some 1.25" wheel spacers to the front. This is to keep the tires off the springs and shocks. Also will make for more clearance when I go to bigger tires. I went with spacers instead of new rims because I didn't want the rear any wider.

Attachments

• ranger 001.jpg
    ranger 001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 480
  • ranger 002.jpg
    ranger 002.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 501

Then I decided to add some tow points to the front of the truck. These are 4" long I have them welded along the front enges then a few inches of weld along the back behind the bumper. When I pull the bumper next time I will run a few more beads on them.

Also keep your work light away from weld splatter or the lense will crack.

Attachments

• ranger 006.jpg
    ranger 006.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 500
  • ranger 005.jpg
    ranger 005.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 502
  • ranger 004.jpg
    ranger 004.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 510
  • ranger 003.jpg
    ranger 003.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 492

I like that setup with the coils. Where did you get the shock mounts? Would that coil mount setup work with wristed early Bronco radius arms?

Where did you get the shock mounts?
Looks to be the famous F-250 shock tower mounts, Ford part E5TZ 18183A -- usually around ~$20 each at the dealer.

You can get the shock mounts almost anywhere, BCbroncos, bronco graveyard, wild horses, etc... Yes, that coil set up will work with the wristed arm. Mine is almost identicle, except I am using Bronco coil buckets instead of the Ex ones. I bolted my shock towers in and then later welded them to the coil bucket.

Matt, how are you planning to retain the spring in the coil bucket, or did I miss something?

Matt, how are you planning to retain the spring in the coil bucket, or did I miss something?

You guys are awsome! I love how I can ask a question on this board and get a dozen responses, all with good information.

Kevin, I think Matt is fabbing up a tubing/bump stop like the Jeeps down the center of the coil. At the top of that where it meets the top of the coil bucket, he would have to put in some type of inverted cone to center the coil when it gets pushed back into place.

Aaaahhhh! The light bulb has illuminated. I get it now :D

That is how I will do it when I get around to doing the coils. That is a little while away so I am leaving as is till I get ready to do the coil swap.

Brian from what I understand is that Pearsons ford has the cheapest ford parts around. All the parts go there then get sent out around the county. I bought them awile ago I think they were around $15 each.

That is how I will do it when I get around to doing the coils. That is a little while away so I am leaving as is till I get ready to do the coil swap.

Brian from what I understand is that Pearsons ford has the cheapest ford parts around. All the parts go there then get sent out around the county. I bought them awile ago I think they were around $15 each.
Sweet!

When you do the coil swap, are you doing a radius arm setup, or???

I think I paid about 15 bucks for my F250 shock mounts, but ordered them on line I think:scratch:

I have the same tow hooks Matt:thumbsup: I just need to get the rear ones in before the next trip:rolleyes:

By the way, All ready for next weeked:D

By the way, All ready for next weeked:D

Thats why I am trying to do so much on the truck the last few days. :D

I also went to a meeting at a local junior college that congressman Duncan Hunter was at. It was to discuss the future of offroading in the so cal area. Johnson valley, Occotillo, truckhaven, superstion and a few other areas were brought up for discussion. He seems open to wheeling and keeping places to go.

Now some more pictures cause everyone likes pictures. Last week I decided I needed more traction So I welded up the rear spiders. Sense the truck is trailer trash I am not concerned with on road stuff. I did drive it to taco bell today and the tire squeel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The 31" bfg AT that I had with the last welded diff were much louder. I also added a Great lakes offroad diff cover that I bought over a year ago. This was to replace the stock cover I bent in moab in may of 06. Good thing I am on top of my repairs :rolleyes:

For all the haters that thought I would never have shocks for the next trip her you go. :p:

I was also able to get the old fan clutch off and put a new one on. Hopefully that will solve my over heating issues.

Attachments

• ranger 001.jpg
    ranger 001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 475
  • ranger 002.jpg
    ranger 002.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 474
  • ranger 005.jpg
    ranger 005.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 483
  • ranger 006.jpg
    ranger 006.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 467

I also extended the cables on the winch solinoid pack. The winch has been on the truck at least a year but I had not wired it. I just have one more small ground wire to extend and then I can put the cable on it and use it. I also need to get a dash mounted control unit as I will have to open the hood as it is now each time to plug in the controller.

Attachments

• ranger 007.jpg
    ranger 007.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 469
  • ranger 008.jpg
    ranger 008.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 469

Wow Matt, it's almost scary how much work you've got done on the truck...you just might make it up CJ hill now with all these mods:p:

huh.... Shocks must be Photoshopped in:rolleyes: I did't know you were so skilled Matt:p:

Back